Sign in to follow this  
Shadows

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Vignette! Entry Thread

Welcome to the official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Vignette Entry Thread, brought to you by myself and the hostess with the mostess, Mandy Lori Ann, sometimes known as Mr. Mandalorian here (for some reason). :-P

Please see the official discussion thread for rules, details, inspiration, and to comment.

http://eurobricks.hosting.ipsyn.com/eurofo...topic=11327&hl=

If I catch you posting anything but entries here, I'll mock you mercilessly on the proper thread until someone with some power comes along and spanks you for being bad. :-P

`Well, I hope you had a lousy evening.'

`I did,' said Richard. `You wouldn't have liked it. There was a horse in the bathroom, and you know you hate that sort of thing.'

It seems I'm the first to post a vig :-P .

Its title is: The first Vogon

... and the reason is all in this quote: "When the Vogon had first crawled out of the sluggish primeval seas of Vogsphere, and had lain panting and heaving on the planet's virgin shores... when the first rays of the bright young Vogsol sun had shone acros them that morning, it was as if the forces of evolution had simply given up on them there and then, had turned aside in disgust and written them off as an ugly and unfortunate mistake. They never evolved again; they should never have survived." [The Hickhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - cap. 5]

adams_firstvogon_008r.jpg

More pics here; there is also a LDD pic of the initial project.

I used the Mr. Pig from Fabuland as a Vogon because it is the best fitting MF and I didn't like the idea of building some kind of constuct like the horrible one in the LDD screen-capture :-X .

LuxorV

Here's mine, as posted about a week ago in the original thread:

hhttg1.jpg

This is the scene from Chapter 7 of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe and also from series 2 episode 1 of the radio series where Marvin encounters a Frogstar Scout Robot Class D which has been sent to capture Zaphod Beeblebrox. They meet on a skybridge between two buildings suspended 15 stories above ground and Marvin tricks and annoys the robot into taking out the walls, ceiling and eventually the floor of the bridge, causing it to plummet to the ground to its destruction. It's by far my favourite scene from any of the books. The Vignette shows the moment the machine takes out the floor on which it is sat.

Here's an uncluttered view:

hhttg2.jpg

And another:

hhttg3.jpg

Here's the Robot. The Robot is described in the book as a towering black tank - but on the basis that it's from the Frogstar, I tried to make it look a little froglike as well as menacing - and stupid (even though Frogstar is just a stupid name and has nothing to do with frogs at all). I've given it a mouth and eyes as it engages Marvin in conversation.

hhttg4.jpg

Here's a side view of the Tank. I decided to give it some chrome exhausts as it's a very vain Tank, proud of its weapons and capabilities and I figured it would want a bit of "bling".

hhttg5.jpg

Here's Marvin. In the first book Marvin has very little description and in the scene in question is merely stated as being "silver". I had a really hard time putting together all my chrome pieces in anything resembling a robot and I wanted to stay away from the film and TV depictions and go for my own - so my Marvin is made of a bunch of Technic pieces and a chrome "head" on top. I think it works quite well.

hhttg6.jpg

Here's the scenery - just an 8x8 square essentially cracked in half. It's supported on transparent bricks and a trans plate as I wanted to convey the sense that this platform is suspended in mid air. The trans plate is NOT a part of the Vig' - the Vig' itself is still 8x8 studs. The windows and ceiling have of course long been disintegrated at this stage. The falling half is attached with a hinge piece. The trans studs you see on top are the support for the Tank to click onto, thus making the entire creation one whole piece when fully assembled.

hhttg7.jpg

Dr. S.

It isn't much, but to go along with ...

`Well, I hope you had a lousy evening.'

`I did,' said Richard. `You wouldn't have liked it. There was a horse in the bathroom, and you know you hate that sort of thing.'

I LDDed up this little bathroom scene. I haven't read it in a long time, and for some reason I'm seriously thinking that it should have the monk on it's back, but I couldn't manage that in LDD, or remember what he looks like, or figure out how that would have fit in a bathroom in real life, which has little to do with the story, so I'll shut up now.

horse1.pngnohorse1.png

horse2.pngnohorse2.png

The rendered colours aren't exactly to my liking, but with and without the horse you can get a decent look at the bathroom itself, which is really where I put my effort.

Oh, and I stole the toilet from Hinckley, so if you see him hopping around like he needs to go and doesn't have anywhere, it's my fault. X-D

If anyone has any bright ideas for a shower curtain, post it over in the discussion thread please, I felt silly not including one, but it would have obscured everything, had I even figured out a way.

Here's my entry, the scene where none other than Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged insults Arthur Dent in prehistoric earth. This was one of my favorite jokes in the entire series, hence my selection of it for my subject matter.

wowlands.jpg

'You're a jerk, Dent, a real megablock."

wowship.jpg

A view of the ship.

wowfigs.jpg

The figs.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I pictured Wowbagger as looking like the stereotypical Roswell type aliens; hence the Nesquik head.

Edited by ZeekyBoogeyDoog

And that concludes the entry portion of our program. Well, with only 4 entries, at least we'll have a winner plus first, second, and third place, so nobody is going home a loser! :-| ;-)

Voting thread posted!

So this is now eligible for lockitude, and hopefully a kind soul will pin the voting thread!

CLOSED

Edited by imperialshadows

we don't usually close the entry threads, but I will be happy to pin the poll for you. :-) <--see? Do you need a collage?

we don't usually close the entry threads, but I will be happy to pin the poll for you. :-) <--see? Do you need a collage?

Well look at that! A kind soul! Now I know better than to believe everything I hear around here ;-)

I didn't end up doing a formal collage, since I wanted to include an explanation of the entries, but thanks for the offer! *sweet*