Sign in to follow this  
Yzalirk

Zar-Ifrikt - Work In Progress

Interesting group. I haven't seen too many peg-legs or hooks in GoH for some reason, so that will be interesting.

I think I may too much of a purist (for now) for brickforge, etc products. I bought some from Brickwarriors or Brickforge and they just didn't fit well with LEGO. The heads kept getting stuck in the helmet.

Either way, I'm sure these guys will be a formidable foe on the battlefield.

Thanks and yeah, I'm sure why either so that's why I am loving this approach even more.

As for the BrickWarriors things, I think they fit pretty good with licensed parts. They also fit pretty good and don't take the heads off (unless the head is attached the the neck part and is loose then yes, the head will come with it) but the Ogre Armor is very stiff and kind of hard to get on torsos but it's new and needs to get a little worn. I can't say the other armor and helmets don't do the same since I only have the Brute Armor (for $0.50 per armor, that's a pretty good deal) so I decided to get mostly those and they look great with the Orcs. :classic:

Any connection btw between Zar-Ifrikt in the Rakath mountains and the Castle Zar in the same mountains, where our valiant forces defeated the invading orcs in the Revolword war?

(I guess not, but I had to ask in character of course :wink:)

8693092897_f3a1c7b600.jpg

Castle Zar

Edited by Gideon

Awww man, I remember seeing that MOC when I was researching GoH. So good.

Thanks!

Not intending to kidnap the thread, I just realized the similarity and couldn't resist pointing it out :wink:

I guess it does well for inspiration for the setting for the Kragg however?

Any connection btw between Zar-Ifrikt in the Rakath mountains and the Castle Zar in the same mountains, where our valiant forces defeated the invading orcs in the Revolword war?

(I guess not, but I had to ask in character of course :wink:)

Castle Zar

Thanks!

Not intending to kidnap the thread, I just realized the similarity and couldn't resist pointing it out :wink:

I guess it does well for inspiration for the setting for the Kragg however?

I suppose there could be some sort of relationship, I (or we) could think of something that relates them together. What do you think? :wink:

It's okay that you are kidnapping the thread because you do bring up a very good point and idea that we could think of together, if you'd like. I personally think that would be cool.

I havn't really continued the lore of the Khel'Zarim or Castle Zar after my Book I challenge VI story, mostly because I think now that I was a bit too enthusiastic on the magic when I built those builds and wrote that story (almost my first GoH builds). Now I'm trying to build in a more "realistic" manner with as little magic as possible. But I guess the Khel'Zarim would be kind of established lore nowadays, and their castle is somewhere (never exactly pinpointed) in the Rakath so I guess it could be reasonably close to the Kragg. If you want to include some battlemagi of the Khel'Zarim in your builds, you are most welcome to do so!

They are very few remaining battlemagi nowadays, since most of them perished fighting the elemental mayhem released by Victor Revolword or when their castle fell to the orcs. They are slowly rebuilding their forces, but as it takes many years to train a battlemage most of the new recruits at Castle Zar are still novices.

Edited by Gideon

I havn't really continued the lore of the Khel'Zarim or Castle Zar after my Book I challenge VI story, mostly because I think now that I was a bit too enthusiastic on the magic when I built those builds and wrote that story (almost my first GoH builds). Now I'm trying to build in a more "realistic" manner with as little magic as possible. But I guess the Khel'Zarim would be kind of established lore nowadays, and their castle is somewhere (never exactly pinpointed) in the Rakath so I guess it could be reasonably close to the Kragg. If you want to include some battlemagi of the Khel'Zarim in your builds, you are most welcome to do so!

They are very few remaining battlemagi nowadays, since most of them perished fighting the elemental mayhem released by Victor Revolword or when their castle fell to the orcs. They are slowly rebuilding their forces, but as it takes many years to train a battlemage most of the new recruits at Castle Zar are still novices.

Alright, I'll definitely look into your older builds to get the lore you came up with so it makes sense with what I put. I have this very cool idea, almost like the origins to this new empire so I'll post it that what I don't forget in a little bit. :blush:

Defeated by the hands of Gideon, Aidana, the Archmage, and other soldiers, the remaining Orcs flee into the Rakath mountains and are scorned and hated by all the citizens and warriors of Kaliphlin. Vem Tabook claims leadership among the small tribe of Orcs to create new life with no contact to Elves and Men. They hardly even made contact with the somewhat innocent Dwarves. Scorched by the blazing sun, they become almost feral, savage, and transformed. Their skin turned from light brown to a dark crimson red when the first eclipse took place. I need breed and empire, was born.

That's just a little back story I thought of, which will most likely be changed and other created lore added to it later on.

Edited by Behemoth

Alright, I'll definitely look into your older builds to get the lore you came up with so it makes sense with what I put. I have this very cool idea, almost like the origins to this new empire so I'll post it that what I don't forget in a little bit. :blush:

Be careful with the word "empire", it might be taken as boasting by some :wink:

My advice is to start at a reasonable scale (a mountain valley with an isolated civilization is a great start imho).

Be careful with the word "empire", it might be taken as boasting by some :wink:

My advice is to start at a reasonable scale (a mountain valley with an isolated civilization is a great start imho).

Alright, I'll do that. Start small and grow? I like it!

You figures are looking good - and I think they fit well within the setting - I will be looking forward to seeing their settlement(s) develop! :thumbup:

The basic rule of GoH is simple, I believe: You can claim almost anything, if you can back it up with suitable builds! So I would agree with the above - don't claim empire - earn it. :wink:

(While staying within the style and setting of the established lore, of course... :classic:

Note though, that by the nature of Historica, it will be difficult to establish an empire, as that would probably require subduing several city states within several guilds - and I doubt builders will give up sovereignty to a horde of high- low- or medium-orcs... Or anyone else, for that matter :tongue: )

Edited by Bregir

Try to remember that Historica is already a "kingdom" ruled by a mostly figurehead king in the city-state of Cedrica (people don't build there really to keep the lore clean). So essentially, all the Guilds (which in my opinion aren't really guilds by any definition of that word haha) are essentially Provinces or Petty Kingdoms that owe at least tacit allegiance to the King of Cedrica.

I may be wrong here because I can't remember in which ways the Hand of Corruption stuff changed the organization of Historica. Is there even still a king? I don't know. But the idea is that there's a throne that rules over all these petty kingdoms, so there's an Irish-style High King in Historica. No empires as yet and an empire would have to be powerful enough to overthrow everybody else.

Most builders who have lands and castles for their main characters are feudal lords of one kind or another (dukes, barons, landed knights, etc) ruling over small fiefdoms and controlling small territories. The cool thing about this is that everybody has room to develop a personal realm of their own without stepping on anyone else's toes. In some cases, this has led to cool alliances or rivalries but rarely much fighting (which is too bad as that would be kind of cool).

So yeah, it's all about claiming your tiny piece of Historica for your faction and then building from there. Personally, my characters run a gamut of the different factions and different types of people. I have a pirate crew, a Mitgardian jarldom, an exiled Nocturnian (human) army with designs on a fief, and an exiled Nocturnian (orc) tribe that will settle near Queenscross. But many others stick to one character or at least one faction they've created within the broader Guild context.

Well said mccoyed. (I agree that the term 'guilds' is a bit misleading here, but I've accepted it as the GoH term for province). I suppose a civilization in Historica can call themselves whatever they, I just pointed out that the choice of words can affect how smoothly a player's contribution can be integrated with other players lore.

What I also want to emphasize is that it's best to start out building the story from one or a few characters and let the story and builds grow over time as other players become familiar with it and the builds improve with the feedback from the community.

Well said mccoyed. (I agree that the term 'guilds' is a bit misleading here, but I've accepted it as the GoH term for province). I suppose a civilization in Historica can call themselves whatever they, I just pointed out that the choice of words can affect how smoothly a player's contribution can be integrated with other players lore.

What I also want to emphasize is that it's best to start out building the story from one or a few characters and let the story and builds grow over time as other players become familiar with it and the builds improve with the feedback from the community.

You're right. The thing is, using appropriate terminology is just as important as using appropriate technology or whatever. I mean, dispensation is good for people whose first language is not english but generally we should know the difference between "empire" and "kingdom" as well as "guild" and "province" just for our own ease of communication with each other. The focus for Behemoth, though, is definitely that if he wants his GoH contribution to be the creation of a new faction within the quilt of factions already in Historica, he ought to build it up from humble origins before declaring them the new Hand of Corruption or something with no builds to back it up. :P

The focus for Behemoth, though, is definitely that if he wants his GoH contribution to be the creation of a new faction within the quilt of factions already in Historica, he ought to build it up from humble origins before declaring them the new Hand of Corruption or something with no builds to back it up. :P

You are totally right. However, I don't want them to be exactly frowned upon and be the local enemy, I was thinking more of the arrogant neighbor who just thinks he's better than everyone else. I like arrogance! :blush:

So yes, I will try to build up from basically rocks and dirt but that will take some time, obviously, so certain characters and events won't come later, like the creation of The Grustrag Three (unless I can post what they look like, here, then have a story about them another time).

Yeah, you can easily do builds where your faction are encountering other groups in the area and making treaties or whatever. You can write a story around that. Here's an idea for you:

The Grustrag Three are the leaders of the Zar-Ifrikt and they're meeting with a band of nomadic sand folk about a dispute over an oasis. The nomads have heard of how dangerous the orcs are, and come with strength in numbers to make sure the Zar-Ifrikt don't simply kill them all.

Your build could show this meeting, with the nomads having some extra people around armed with weapons. This basically gives an image to go with the flavor text, right?

The point you're making with something like this is that while the Zar-Ifrikt aren't exactly going around raiding folks and slaughtering whoever (that's a good way to incite the wrath of Kaliphlinite lords after all), they are still considered unpredictable and dangerous. If you want to portray them as arrogant, you can do that easily through writing dialogue to go with a meeting like this. The nomads are humble and polite, but the Zar-Ifrikt are rude and dismissive even though the nomads strength in numbers means that the orcs must negotiate and can't simply take the oasis for themselves.

Note: I am not saying build the stuff I'm describing. I'm giving a scenario example to show how I would do what you're describing. :D

That's a great scenario, I'll definitely make a few because they can come out pretty cool and it would fit in great with what Ska wants me to build! :classic: