LDD is closed source SW, you cannot add anything. Moreover it would be a violation of EULA.

LDD is closed source SW, you cannot add anything. Moreover it would be a violation of EULA.

I don't think he wants to modify the application. It sounds like he is looking for better rendering options of his models.

Jordanbellamy, Something like POV-Ray might be what you are looking for. Check out How to apply custom decals on LDD renders.

Here is a link to a general tutorial: Rendering LDraw models using POV-Ray

I also understood it the same way hrontos did, i.e. to add graphics inside LDD itself.

But let's see what Jordanbellamy says when he reads this. In any case, he's got the answer now for both cases :tongue:

It of course is to add graphics inside LDD, being a creative person / graphic design i wondered, for example to add a logo to the side of a LDD created cafe etc. :)

Then the situation is the one described by hrontos and Superkalle.

Take a look at the "Section Rules" topic (one of the pinned topics of this section) about this subject.

I don't think he wants to modify the application. It sounds like he is looking for better rendering options of his models.

Jordanbellamy, Something like POV-Ray might be what you are looking for. Check out How to apply custom decals on LDD renders.

Here is a link to a general tutorial: Rendering LDraw models using POV-Ray

Exactly what im looking for the rendered ldd models look fantastic , thanks for the links :)

Then the situation is the one described by hrontos and Superkalle.

Take a look at the "Section Rules" topic (one of the pinned topics of this section) about this subject.

Since when have i mentioned i want to modify the application? , i haven't, i dont want too.

Since when have I mentioned I want to modify the application? I haven't, I don't want too.

As it is explained in the section rules, what you ask (at least... as far as we could understand) requires the hacking of LDD.

Otherwise there are other solutions, for example the one suggested by m0dulo above.

I'm really confused by this thread the more I read it. His question was a common (and expected) question for anyone learning new 3D software. I can't imagine anyone thinking that hacking the software (source or especially executable!) is a realistic option, especially to add something that is a basic feature of any decent renderer made in the past twenty years. It is often referred to as applying decals in the software. Do people often ask questions like that? That is like someone asking how to modify a watch when all they really want to know is if it possible to tell what time it is.

I'm honestly sincere with my question. I'm trying to understand this forum and only curious about the what prompted that rule.

Edited by m0dulo

The big difference between LDD and any other 3D software is that in any 3D software you can add your textures and materials and even model objects. In LDD not. It comes with library of objects, materials and textures and you cannot extend it.

He clearly asked how to add it in LDD (I assumed that he did it based on some experience with other 3D software). And that's why the answer was that it is not possible without modification of the application's library which is considered violation of EULA.

There are many people asking how to add some missing part or decal so as a question it is quite common and answer is always that it is not allowed. When this question is asked nobody assumes that people are looking for some 3rd party tools to add decals to their model images. Everybody want to have it in model (LXF) file, use it during building proces, share it with friends etc.

I thought it would be as simple to import a jpg , svg , png etc , obviously not, so basicly my original post is invalid as this isnt a feature within Ldd. Itself.

This thread has completly gone off the wrong end by saying inwant to illegally modify software.

I have no software experience with CGI 3d software and only used LDD on 3 small projects since installing it match this year.

I have no clue on how to modify any sort of computer software. Ofcourse i wouldnt want too illegally modify somebodys software.

Jordanbellamy, I think you misunderstood our words.

There was not any accusation against you, every request is rightful, we simply pointed out that it is impossible to add decorations or geometries in LDD without infringing the EULA.

Note that on the web there are various guides to do that but, as we wrote in the Section Rules, the staff decided to don't promote this kind of operations in order to avoid to compromise the good relation that Eurobricks have with LEGO.

Hope this is clear now.

I thought it would be as simple to import a jpg , svg , png etc , obviously not, so basicly my original post is invalid as this isnt a feature within Ldd. Itself.

This thread has completly gone off the wrong end by saying inwant to illegally modify software.

Your expectations are standard, as this should be a simple task these days. It is ok to ask about it when a man cannot find correct menu item in the application. :classic:

Your question is good and legit. It was just not clear, if you want to use custom decals directly in LDD or you would like to do some pictures (renderings) of your models with custom decals.

Many forum members asked this question and most of them want custom decals directly in the LDD. Some of them even presented links to the internet with ideas how to do it.

As Calabar said, no answer was meant to accuse you.

Technically it is possible to add things to LDD. But on this forum it was decided that even it is technically possible, it will not be promoted or supported, since it is a violation of LDD EULA.

If you found my answers too strict or offending, please accept my apologies.

Edited by hrontos

The big difference between LDD and any other 3D software is that in any 3D software you can add your textures and materials and even model objects.

There is a lot of 3D software that is great for modeling but offers little or nothing in the way of rendering. rhino, sketchup, formz, solidworks, etc. Some can take plugins but others require separate renderers. I think LDD falls in this category, but a new user might not know or understand. One of the first questions I get asked after talking about modeling is, "How do I add my own custom pictures/materials/textures?" and I answer with, "well... you need a separate renderer for that." LOL

Jordanbellamy, I think you misunderstood our words.

There was not any accusation against you, every request is rightful, we simply pointed out that it is impossible to add decorations or geometries in LDD without infringing the EULA.

I think there were misunderstandings all around. IMHO it sounded like he broke the rules and could get in trouble. I was actually scared to make that last post where I said I was confused. Glad to see it is all cleared up, though.

Edited by m0dulo