Sign in to follow this  
ummester

[LDD MOC] Galaxy Explorer 2015

Thanks for comments and support. Believe it or not, designing that robot took longer than the rover or tracking station, I'm glad it is appreciated. The working name in my head was 'Retrobot'. The deactivation switch on his back (round red tile, as a shout out to HAL :D) is so that he could be used as a classic sci fi plot device - robot running amok kind of thing. I didn't want to clarify that on the Ideas page - because the project was developed around the idea that that set actually expanded my imagination as a child. It looked cool but was kind of a blank slate as far as story telling went - I was trying to somehow recreate that feeling. No defined good or bad guys, no defined men or women even - just some human astronauts exploring space with the builders/players imagination as their guide.

Oh, my next and current project has a minifg sized 'robot' character, which is also proving the most difficult element to design. I take my hat off to builders that can pull out great shapes/designs on such small scale - it's not easy.

Edited by ummester

You've got my vote!

I prefer the red wheels myself. Shame the curves on the base were removed, I really liked them. Also feel there needs to be some classic space logos.

Hopefully it reaches 10,000. Good luck!

The curves aren't necessarily gone Dredgen. It's all just options at this stage.

What I would like, if the project gathers enough support, is for the supporters to somehow vote on the elements that can be changed - a poll perhaps - to work out a preferred version.

I support this but I worry that it's too similar to Benny's SSS to be selected. But if it does get all the votes it should tell Lego something -- bring back space!

Well, as i suggested earlier... I've finally got around to taking my own stab at an updated Galaxy Explorer - Thanks for the inspiration :classic: :

14786540978_b6a2187040_z.jpg

Edited by slacker int