Sign in to follow this  
Legononymous

Lego 60051

I have a question on the controller that comes with this set. On mine, the round dial controls the speed going forward and backward. So if I'm going forward and I want to slow down I turn the dial the other direction. If I go too far I end up going in reverse. This how it's supposed to be or do I have it set up wrong or maybe it's defective?

Thats exactly how its supposed to be. Mine are the same. You can hit the red button, although with the braking action the IR applies it will stop suddenly.

Ok, so most of the other buttons on the controller have no function with this particular set?

Edited by Legononymous

This is all supposed to happen the knob has 7 speeds in each direction, If you keep turning after the 7 speeds it will do nothing and it will still go back the way in 7 speeds to a stop till you got the other way.

The red Button under the knob is to instantly stop the train (or whatever else you may be controlling) that is under that knob.

The small black switches are to invert the knob so if you turn it clockwise and it goes forward, if you flip that switch it will go backwards when you turn it clockwise now.

The switch in the middle with the numbers 1,2,3, and 4 are the channels that match up to your IR Receiver and I think that one is straight forward :P

Hope that helps you on how this controller works!

Enjoy your train

-RailCo

Thank you! I've been using it and see what you're talking about. I was hoping for reverse being controlled by the other knob. Still fun though.

The other knob controls your other channel, as you have two, red and blue. This is tied to the colours on the IR receiver itself, and you can therefore do things like having the motor on red and lights on blue, rather than the lights being tied to the motor output. Or you can even have two different trains on the same controller, one on each dial.

Hello,

if you want an improve remote control, you could make use a "learning" RC and teach it the PF-codes. But you could also build your own remote: Use Mindstorms 2.0 and the LEGO-certified IRLink-Sensor from hitechnic.com. You can easily construct and program an "intelligent" remote control, that will control any kind of IR-controlled LEGO builds at once and prevents you from accidently reversing your trains!

Using additional sensors, you can do more fancy things, like using a gyroscopic to set the speed.

Regards

Xris