Sign in to follow this  
Yzalirk

How would you make a good Tugboat?

So I want to build a good tug boat yet give it a little post-apocalyptic feel like this tugboat, but how would I make one?

Edited by Behemoth

So I want to build a good tug boat yet give it a little post-apocalyptic feel like this tugboat, but how would I make one?

If you are unsure of where to start, some of the available boat pieces can help, rather than fully MOC'ing up a hull. Start from something like this.

1617.jpg?0

The black boat hull pieces from Agents set 8636, and build up and lengthen from there.

Alright, seems pretty good but it seems too small and where the driver would be looks "odd".

Alright, seems pretty good but it seems too small and where the driver would be looks "odd".

I meant not so much use it as is, but those boat hull pieces stack and can be used to build a larger boat. They are a good starting point if you don't want to work with the complex angles and curves of brick building the hull. And they are available in many colors as they are a fairly old part that is still in production and use (the Ninjago Destiny's Bounty and the LotR Pirate ship both used them recently.) they can be used to make a smaller Ship than the floating hulls or Pirate hull pieces, but still with a bit of width like a Tug Boat.

I meant not so much use it as is, but those boat hull pieces stack and can be used to build a larger boat. They are a good starting point if you don't want to work with the complex angles and curves of brick building the hull. And they are available in many colors as they are a fairly old part that is still in production and use (the Ninjago Destiny's Bounty and the LotR Pirate ship both used them recently.) they can be used to make a smaller Ship than the floating hulls or Pirate hull pieces, but still with a bit of width like a Tug Boat.

Alright, but how would you recommend me making a Tugboat with SNOT building like this along with what pieces I should use?

Edited by Behemoth

Alright, but how would you recommend me making a Tugboat with SNOT building like this along with what pieces I should use?

The bow, which is probably the trickiest part, looks like it is 4 sub assemblies. The bottom deck is a straight up 2 stud wide brick build with the studs facing forward. It is shaped using standard slopes and bows. There are probably a few clips or connectors hidden along its upper facing surface.

The other three bow parts are each just a flat build of a series of black small stepped plates, (it looks like 2x3 and 2x2's mainly), that are then topped off with bows and tiles to give the rounded shape. These are then attached to the clips at the vertical angles to give that rounded bow look. You can't really see which clips and connectors he used in the MOC, (the black just doesn't show well in the pictures) but there are a number of ways to do that without too much fuss.

Probably the main parts used to get the bow shape are these.

http://www.bricklink.com/browseList.asp?itemType=P&catString=438

The bow, which is probably the trickiest part, looks like it is 4 sub assemblies. The bottom deck is a straight up 2 stud wide brick build with the studs facing forward. It is shaped using standard slopes and bows. There are probably a few clips or connectors hidden along its upper facing surface.

The other three bow parts are each just a flat build of a series of black small stepped plates, (it looks like 2x3 and 2x2's mainly), that are then topped off with bows and tiles to give the rounded shape. These are then attached to the clips at the vertical angles to give that rounded bow look. You can't really see which clips and connectors he used in the MOC, (the black just doesn't show well in the pictures) but there are a number of ways to do that without too much fuss.

Probably the main parts used to get the bow shape are these.

http://www.bricklink...P&catString=438

You mind posting the links for the parts you think are necessary for this build? Anything else I should know?

Have a look here:

8174837015_d00f842835.jpg

FAIRPLAY-33 by Konajra, on Flickr

That's the best ship builder I know and he does post the odd WIP picture to show you how it's done.

Have a look here:

8174837015_d00f842835.jpg

FAIRPLAY-33 by Konajra, on Flickr

That's the best ship builder I know and he does post the odd WIP picture to show you how it's done.

That's awesome but I'm not looking to make something too big, almost a replica of this is what I'm aiming to make but I'd like to know all the parts I'd use and maybe a few tips on how the hull of it would be made.

It doesn't have to as big as that but some of his pictures show you how he builds his hulls (sideways).