system

Train car connector with electricity transfer

Hi

Any suggestion how to make connector(trainbuffer/coupling) that could transfer electricity? Preferably 4 wires, but 2 would be also good. it should be simple to attach cars to each other by hand (e.g. 7y old child should be able to do that).

It doesn't have to look like "human" train parts, and connection should be flexible enough for curves and switches.

The only solution that i come so far, is to use half of ethernet wire with 2 6p6c connectors on ends, and embed 6p socket somehow in to car. The only problem is that it require quite long cable (5cm) so disconecting can be done without taking cars from rails.

Here is image of classic connector:

http://www.mangiobricks.it/cms2/graphics/articoli_big/PA9/1/PA91968C01-N-N_1.jpg

I have tried connecting cars to the locomotive for lighting etc but did not preserver however the most promising used 3mm phono jacks and sockets which are available with and without the cables already attached, these will give you two or three connections.

The little battery connectors used on older versions of Lego trains may look more authentic but I dont recall they were polarised which may be a problem.

I did a trainline power supply on one of my trains using the old 9v power wires. I found it to be too much of a hassle to connect and disconnect that I stopped using it. In the process I found that the 9v wires can be a bit finicky, either bunching up between the cars or eventually wearing out where the wires enter the connector due to the perpetual bending.

Depending on your space and power needs, you might be better off just using one of the old style 9v battery boxes or simply a loose 9v battery in the car that needs power.

Or some sort of magnetic connector similar to the Apple laptop chargers might be good. Id be interested in something like this too.

Hi ,

also the model railroad industry has not brought up a suitable solution for this by now. Some providers offer couplings with up to 6 electrical connections (e.g. Krois for HO gauge: http://www.krois-mod...produkt/stkupp/), but these are not robust enough to withstand 7yo players.

Regards

Xris

Edited by Xris