Sign in to follow this  
ResIpsaLoquitur

Building The LEGO Movie's Real-World Objects

So here's a thought (and a possible challenge): what are all the real-world objects that showed up in the Lego Movie? One of the fun little things I like about the sets is the intrusion of "real" stuff into the Lego world. Unfortunately, we don't get much: the Kragle (and the Piece of Resistance in any set with Emmet) plus the Battery in Lord Business' lair are the only items we got. I know that the Super Cycle Chase has one of those "good job" stickers on it, but I can't think of anything else. (Edit: I forgot Virtuvius' lolipop stick, which of course is also in Business' Lair.)

So what's the other real stuff that appeared in the movie, and has anyone tried building any of it? (Some of these will be harder than others.) Off the top of my head, there were (SPOILERS AHEAD):

- The Q-tip and the Nail Polish

- The Band-Aid ("Cloak of Ban-da-Id")

- The Exacto-Knife blade (the "Blade of Exact-Zero")

- A tennis ball (I don't remember it in the film, but it's on the Unikitty cup we got from McDonalds)--this would be pretty hard to build

- Chewing gum--this would be REALLY, REALLY hard to build.

I also seem to remember an old 3.5 floppy disk in Business' treasure room. So, anything else? I know there was a lot more than these things. Has anyone tried building anything?

Edited by ResIpsaLoquitur

There was the penny that beheaded a minifig.

Hmmmm. Well, I guess brickifying a penny would be easy enough. Take a brown 2x2 round tile and print a penny sticker for it.

I've tried creating "brick-built" versions of the relics on LDD. The "Orb of Titleist" is simple enough to make—just use two of 30208 with a tire (2815) wedged in the middle to hold them together. The "Scepter of Q-Tip" is also easy, even if it doesn't end up looking perfect—I used two 1x1 White cones with two of 58176 to round off the ends and a Light Stone Gray 63965 in the middle. A Reddish Brown 2x2 round tile serves adequately for the penny (although ideally it'd have a decoration to perfect the likeness). And the unnamed floppy disk is easy enough to brick-build, even though at a minimum of two plates thick it'll end up slightly thicker than it should be. The gum (used to catch Superman) can be depicted by a 1x3 tile in its unchewed state (seen as they're loading it into the cannon), but of course it's hard to make a chewed version due to its organic shape. I haven't managed to make the pen Bad Cop uses to draw his new Good Cop face in part due to the lack of a piece I want on LDD (the old version of 4868, for the cap).

Others are even harder to fabricate. The "Sword of X-act Zero" is near impossible to make due to its small, thin size (as is the "Cloak of Banda'id" and the unnamed key). The "Polish Remover of Na'il" is pink, and the closest equivalent in Lego (Light Purple) lacks any good slopes for recreating the curved shape. And I've had great difficulty with building others like the staple remover.

I can't think of many other relics (at least not ones I can confirm are in the movie rather than just the video game). But hopefully this can get you started.

Here's the promo clip with Business' relic room. This doesn't cover everything, but there's a lot in the background (...which I can't make out). I do see a Bottle of White-Out which I'm sure somebody could cleverly make--the cap could probably be a ribbed 2x2 round brick.

Great idea on the golf ball, BTW. I notice a golf tee in the relic room--I guess that could be a small green dish, a green 1 x 1 cone brick, and a green stick. It wouldn't be perfect, but it'd be close.

I saw:

-A piece of tin foil, or maybe a gum wrapper. It was square and standing up mostly straight.

-A gummy bear

-Some red thing that kind of looked like the piece of resistance

-A very small computer hard drive

Edited by BrickSponge2015