DrColossus

[GNAR] [WIP] The Eikmarr

The dwarf Kabbi, entering his fourth year serving as mate of the merchant marine cog Eikmarr, the Oak Mare, stood before the mast and swayed slightly. He looked through the bottom of his now-empty bottle, and waited for more shouts from the hold. He knew his Captain’s moods.

2014-04-0220174248.jpg

2014-04-0220174310.jpg

"The world is mad today, Birla!" Olli, the ship's captain, jabbed his finger at the map while he shouted. The dwarf girl Birla looked on, impassive; rages did not frighten her. "We limp from one port to the next, everywhere from the Bay of Storms to Butcher's Bay, and we can't unload even a single cargo! Why, oh why, did I pick now to invest so heavily in Kaliphin silks? No one wants silks now!" He paced a few steps before yelling up to the helmsman "More easting, Vigfuss, more damned easting!" Vigfuss, the helmsman, leaned on the tiller and rubbed his chin with his free hand. He had taken the once-unthinkable step of shaving his beard a few weeks ago to impress a girl in Nocturnus.

A deep and quiet voice came from the sterncastle above. Mr. Ash, he was called - and only ever Mr. Ash. "The merchants smell trouble, Captain," he said as he sighted thoughtfully down the shaft of an arrow. "When war comes, silks lose their worth. We will yet see days when basic bread will fetch a king's price." Birla's sister, the dwarven shield-maiden Birna, watched as Mr. Ash loosed an arrow and effortlessly brought down a crow 400 yards away. No one ever asked whether he was human, elven, or something else; and certainly no one asked if he had a name other than Ash.

She sighted her crossbow at a gull, much nearer, but decided not to shoot. The harsh light of the late-winter sea made her long for Pikesteel and the comforts of her family's hall.

2014-04-0220174351.jpg

The ship plowed on, searching for a friendly port amidst greater signs of trouble and unrest.

2014-04-0220174224.jpg

------

This is very much a WIP! I've made a cog with a sort of exaggerated sterncastle, more to reflect the way they were drawn in illustrations than the way they looked. I haven't quite worked out a sail yet, but I've got a brickbuilt one coming along if I can figure out how to attach it. (2 large white wing pieces attached to a white space shuttle body piece).

Would appreciate any input and thoughts as I bring it along to completion. I don't want to make it too ornate (it is primarily a working merchant vessel) but anything to make it look good would be gratefully accepted. Thanks!

A good start (though I'd recommend the addition of sails :wink: . Elongation of the ship would also help (the utilization of just the two hull pieces makes it look a little too smooth). Adding to the masthead would help too. Overall, a very good start.

Thank you! I hope to get a pic up with sails soon. I'm not sure if I can elongate, as I don't have a matching middle hull piece so I'd have to brick-build it; however, I can knock out the first four studs of wood, and shift the edge back farther (maybe with some brown arches) so it gives the illusion of a longer body?

It's a really good story and I like the caricature style build, it really does look like a mediaeval painting, especially the side view. The stern could benefit from some embellishment in my opinion, or maybe just some tiles, it is a little bit blocky. Looking forward to see how this develops!

:classic:

I like what you've done with it so far and I'm looking forward to seeing the sails. I agree with robuko that the stern castle could be a little smoother. Maybe used hinge plates like in the Black Pearl set would help with that. :thumbup:

gt1504184gr5.jpg Sorry for the big image, it was the smallest close up I could find.