pcvando

REVIEW: 70810 MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Thanks for the great review thread PCVANDO, it convinced me to go grab the set since it's on sale here for 300aud. Glad to have something that has the size of my Imperial Flagship. I do get that it probably doesn't actually fit the pirates theme since it's a movie set. I personally see it as a more quirky set that gives off the fun fantasy vibe from the movie more then anything to concerned with realism.

I have completed mine. It is so huge and awesome with many details. I added some minifigures from the Lego Movies to join the ship along with originsl minifigures and they look great ( Abraham, Bad Cop with scribble face, Taco Tuesday and Shakespeare )

Does anyone know how long this set will remain available?

I'd love to buy it but I might not be able to until next year, so I hope it'll still be sold then.

Finally I've got my "Sea Cow" from Lego. And now guess what ... Yes, it has the same hull gap problem as the "Brick Bounty". :sad: Since some of you reported that they don't have this problem, I think that I must have got a "Cow" from a later production batch. And obviously this is what we're getting now on from Lego. So all future ships will probably also have this problem until Lego fixes it. :hmpf_bad:

p10100552euj9.jpg

Besides that, I found another thing on my nitpicking route: The bottom hull pieces have a strange production flaw. It looks like some kind of a long scratch in the paintwork. But you can't feel something like that, when you stroke with a finger over it. It is only on the left side of both hull pieces. And therefore it looks a bit crappy if you put the pieces together. Also there is a small similar flaw at the front.

p1010051i9u3k.jpg p1010054gkudo.jpg p10100525qu17.jpg

Well, I will order a replacement for that two parts. But the problem with the hull gap is obviously something that I have to live with (for now default_blink.gif).

Finally I've got my "Sea Cow" from Lego. And now guess what ... Yes, it has the same hull gap problem as the "Brick Bounty". :sad: Since some of you reported that they don't have this problem, I think that I must have got a "Cow" from a later production batch. And obviously this is what we're getting now on from Lego. So all future ships will probably also have this problem until Lego fixes it. :hmpf_bad:

p10100552euj9.jpg

Besides that, I found another thing on my nitpicking route: The bottom hull pieces have a strange production flaw. It looks like some kind of a long scratch in the paintwork. But you can't feel something like that, when you stroke with a finger over it. It is only on the left side of both hull pieces. And therefore it looks a bit crappy if you put the pieces together. Also there is a small similar flaw at the front.

p1010051i9u3k.jpg p1010054gkudo.jpg p10100525qu17.jpg

Well, I will order a replacement for that two parts. But the problem with the hull gap is obviously something that I have to live with (for now default_blink.gif).

Mine doesn't have this issue as i bought it same year of release. Yours could be a new batch/production. Try to ask LEGO if they still producing the Sea Cow then we know.

Lego doesn't sell it anymore at their official online store. So I'm pretty sure, that they will not producing new "Cows". But the shop assistant in the local store told me, that Lego has more then one production line for the most of the released sets. So it might probably also be the same in this case. And I got one from the "wrong" batch. :sad:

Well, I can't change it for now, so I'll leave it as it is. And when the next ship comes up, we will see where we stand with this problem. :wink:

Edited by Guybrick