Sign in to follow this  
Bob De Quatre

LEGO Sci-Fi MOC index poll

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think a SCi-Fi MOC index is needed?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How should the entries be sorted? (multiple choices)

• By date of submission
    • By author (each author will have a line in the index with all his/her MOCs)
    • By theme (Galaxy Squad, Classic space, Star Trek, Steampunk, ...)
    • By category (Fighter, Capital ship, Mech, ...)
    • By any other method (develop in your reply please)
  3. 3. Should digital MOCs and real MOCs be on the same lists?

• Yes
    • No

I'm wondering if I should start a new Sci-Fi MOC index thread, and I need your opinion on this matter.

Feel free to reply with any suggestion you may have concerning this index.

Yes and no. It's lot of work but it's pretty cool to just be able to scroll through a list of images and click on links if you want to check out a MOC. That's the big advantage of Flickr over classic forums. Easy to brouse a lot of MOCs quickly.

I like the idea of a MOC index. Often I use that one in the SW forum to browse through, just to get some inspiration.

However, I think the distinction between digital and real builds is trivial for such an index. If you're looking for inspiration, you want to look at what has been built in a specific field, and not whether that build was digital or not.

To make this searching more effective, I wouldn't recommend placing them based on the date the MOCs were posted. Per theme could work, but then again a lot of builds don't fit into a particular theme.

To me, the most handy method would be to classify them partially by theme (the very obvious ones, like Classic space, neo classic space, blacktron, steampunk, maybe even some licensed stuff...), partially by category (micro builds, fighters, huge capital ships (like UCS), mechs, space bases...) Maybe some series of distinct MOCs by a certain builder could get a seperate entry. Maybe rongYIREN desktop fighters... but I don't follow this forum close enough to do a lot of suggestions on this case.

Hopefully this helps you face that daunting task. I hope that helps us users to find some hidden gems of this forum!

I like the idea of a MOC index. Often I use that one in the SW forum to browse through, just to get some inspiration.

That's the reason why I want to re-start one. And good MOCers are always welcome here :sweet:

However, I think the distinction between digital and real builds is trivial for such an index. If you're looking for inspiration, you want to look at what has been built in a specific field, and not whether that build was digital or not.

I asked because I wanted to know what people think about it. But to be honest, it may be too much work to have distinct lists.

To make this searching more effective, I wouldn't recommend placing them based on the date the MOCs were posted. Per theme could work, but then again a lot of builds don't fit into a particular theme.

To me, the most handy method would be to classify them partially by theme (the very obvious ones, like Classic space, neo classic space, blacktron, steampunk, maybe even some licensed stuff...), partially by category (micro builds, fighters, huge capital ships (like UCS), mechs, space bases...) Maybe some series of distinct MOCs by a certain builder could get a seperate entry. Maybe rongYIREN desktop fighters...

That's a good idea. I'll see if I can add it to the available choices.

Edit: Done, and I've updated your vote accordingly.

but I don't follow this forum close enough to do a lot of suggestions on this case.

You should follow this forum!! It's the best of all EB :grin:

That's a good idea. I'll see if I can add it to the available choices.

Edit: Done, and I've updated your vote accordingly.

Glad you like it. Wait... you can see on what I voted *huh* ... is there then no privacy at all in this world! But hehe, I changed a poll! Yay!

You should follow this forum!! It's the best of all EB :grin:

I try, I swear! Pleas don't zap me away, o mighty flowerthrower, creator of dragons!

That reminds me... I do have another suggestion for adding a particular series of MOCs by a particular builder... Space ninjas come to mind (this would be the perfect moment to show of my ninja emoticon, but haven't hosted it somewhere...), and Friends fighters as well...

Glad you like it. Wait... you can see on what I voted *huh* ... is there then no privacy at all in this world! But hehe, I changed a poll! Yay!

You were the only one to vote for "any other method" :wink:

I try, I swear! Pleas don't zap me away, o mighty flowerthrower, creator of dragons!

Do or do not! There is no try!

That reminds me... I do have another suggestion for adding a particular series of MOCs by a particular builder... Space ninjas come to mind (this would be the perfect moment to show of my ninja emoticon, but haven't hosted it somewhere...), and Friends fighters as well...

Maybe if someone asks for it's own theme, or if a new theme is used by some builders, we may add it.

My problem is will I have to ask myself to add my own themes :laugh:

I like the idea of dividing by theme and build type, like BEAVeR said. Like:

Classic Space

Minifig Classic Space

Micro Classic Space

Midi Classic Space

Blacktron

Blacktron I

Minifig Blacktron I

Micro Blacktron I

Midi Blacktron I

Blacktron II

Minifig Blacktron II

Micro Blacktron II

Midi Blacktron II

Etc.

I like the idea of dividing by theme and build type, like BEAVeR said. Like:

Classic Space

Minifig Classic Space

Micro Classic Space

Midi Classic Space

Blacktron

Blacktron I

Minifig Blacktron I

Micro Blacktron I

Midi Blacktron I

Blacktron II

Minifig Blacktron II

Micro Blacktron II

Midi Blacktron II

Etc.

I don't exclude to have maybe 2 index, one by themes and one by categories for exemple :wink:

(Quick fix that poll question "How should the entries be sorted?")

I said "no" because I don't think it's needed. It would be really good, and would bring out the depth of this sub forum. But it would be a lot of work, and if it's incomplete it would be of little value.

As far as how to organise it, I think start with a "by author" index. That would be complete.

Then to make it better, add a "by theme" (and be really specific about what the themes are). This would be official TLG themes, other companies' IP (except SW obviously), steampunk or anything thematic, so long as it's specific. Not everything would be in that index. Some things may be listed under more than one theme.

Then do a "by category", including different scales, size classes of ships & vehicles, moonbases, monorails etc. Again not necessarily everything would be in this index, but some things may appear in more than one category. E.g. a micro scaled Blacktron moonbase could appear in multiple categories.

I don't exclude to have maybe 2 index, one by themes and one by categories for exemple :wink:

AA this is a nice idea.

If you can find the time to do this, I think it's a great idea. MOCs quickly get "lost" on a forum, as the pages go buy. With an index one can go there to look for inspiration or see what's happening that one may have missed.

As for sorting, I think by theme and/or category is the way to go. It depends a bit how fine-grained you want to do it.

The pirate MOC index is indeed a great example.

I won't be able to parse the 160 pages of the sci-fi forum (btw, I found some nice MOCs when browsing the forums last pages :wink: ), so I'm thinking of creating a thread where people could ask for a MOC to be indexed, like it has been done in the Pirate forum.