Sign in to follow this  
Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest#92: The Prophetess and the Warrior

Arthur grimaced. "I guess you're right--I think I know the answer, I'm just not sure I like it." He starts to amble away in U'Voros' direction, but stops and turns back to Ella. "One more question--and I don't need to know if it's too personal--have you ever regretted having your gift?"

OOC: Ready to move on once I have this answer. :classic:

Edited by Flipz

637431af-325d-4d52-9fb6-0e8f3ffbd3f0_zpsd87f0972.jpg

"I am mortal, Arthur. No mortal, even one with visions, doesn't curse all the things they love from time to time."

Even as she finishes the sentence, Ella's eyes roll back in her head and she goes limp for a second. She catches herself just as she slips to the ground, steadying herself on the deck.

"Captain Lane. This is the spot."

2ad7bc4a-fe3b-4de7-ba4a-26953e3d6112_zps10ae780a.jpg

"Right." The captain quickly lowers the sails.

97044e91-b3a8-4b3b-95c7-412bd3ca9efe_zps626f4568.jpg

"We will submerge here?"

"That's right, Doc."

Daneeka nods.

"My machine can create a bubble that will be enough to house two people. Any more than that, and you may find yourself gasping for breath. The question, then, is who will actually go down to retrieve the book. I assume the Princess."

"That's right."

55514cc0-9fca-4504-88e3-08b7b229bfc0_zps6a9e4109.jpg

"Oh dear. I will be the second person of course I'll be the second person."

"U'Voros, there will be no danger underwater. I have brought the heroes all this way to help me retrieve the book, I believe that one of them should go down with me." She turns to the heroes. "Would any of you like to see the bottom of the ocean?"

Which hero will accompany Ella?

I look nervously down and hesitate for a long, long time.

Going down to the bottom of the ocean? I have to say that there is a certain level of excitement there. I mean, who knows what is all down there. There could be treasure...anything. Perhaps if I go down I could even get my hands on the book and check its contents to ensure it is not a danger to humanity before returning, but that evil doctor. He will probably suck the air out of the bubble while I am down below. Arthur and Tarn seem a decent sort, but they will not be able to detect his sly venom. It is my duty to remain up here.

"I will remain on the ship," I state. "I must..."

I stare from the corner of my eyes at Daneeka.

Must watch him closely.

Tarn nods at the monk as he decides to stay on the ship. He glances at Ella, then at Arthur, a serious look on his face. He speaks earnestly and with conviction. "Arthur, I would really like to do this for Ella. I have flown way up in the sky on an airship, so the inky depths hold no fear for me. With your leave, I will be the second person in the bubble."

"You know, if anything were to malfunction it may be useful for Arthur to go down, being that he is magically inclined and has a Sapphire, I believe, and all that..."

Arthur coughs. "Actually, I don't have a Sapphire--but I have an Opal, and a shell of ice would preserve our air long enough for the shell to float us quickly to the surface." He pauses. "I know how much you'd like to accompany the Princess, Tarn, and if I were in your position I'd feel the same way. But at the same time, I feel that my magical talents would be better suited to protect the princess down below."

Arthur cocks his head, studying Tarn carefully. "Besides," he adds, "Do we really want to send our Princess and our Warrior down alone after the originals' relic? Does that not strike anyone else as tempting fate?" He looks carefully into the Raider's eyes. "Ultimately, you are our Party Leader, so the decision lies with you. I won't deny that I'd greatly like to experience this wonder, but my ultimate duty is to serve our mission--and no one will fight harder to keep the Princess safe than you."

Edited by Flipz

"...and no one will fight harder to keep the Princess safe than you."

He wouldn't fight too hard to defend the princess? How unusual for somebody to admit to not fully care whether their employer is assaulted or not right in front of them. Strange lad. I muse.

Tarn's face was a picture of doubt and confusion as he listened to Arthur's words.

"I appreciate you putting forth your ideas in such a civilised manner. You are truly a gentleman, unlike many I have known. Likewise Monk Pretzel. Neither of you are slow in giving your opinions, you have mind to speak, yet you do not force your beliefs upon others."

He paused, sighed, and continued, a blush spreading across his cheeks as he knew Ella was also listening.

"I would love to go down to the bottom of the sea with the Princess. By now, I am sure you know how I feel about her, and to be together in a bubble, down in the depths of the ocean - I can think of no greater wonder, nor person I would want to share it with.

But this is not about me and her, it is about fulfilling the Quest and finding this lost book. Arthur, I do not pretend to know anything about the ways of Ether, but I know you are a resourceful and capable hero. You will be able to keep the Princess safe, and have more tricks up your sleeve than me if anything goes wrong. Therefore you shall go with Ella, and I know you will carry out your duty to keep her safe."

I nod at the raider.

"Glad to see that you are able to put the practicality of the matter over your feelings," I say sincerely. "It's good to work with your sort."

Tarn nodded. In his time with Heroica he had been the party leader several times, and each time they had succeeded in their Quest. This had given him a focus, a belief in the job he was hired to do. He had no real way to articulate that to the monk.

Thinking carefully, still downcast that he would not see the bottom of the ocean, he took out a Phoenix Essence and handed it to Arthur. "Take this, in case you have any... Difficulties. Find this lost book and fulfill the quest. The princess... You have to take care of her."

Tarn nodded. In his time with Heroica he had been the party leader several times, and each time they had succeeded in their Quest. This had given him a focus, a belief in the job he was hired to do. He had no real way to articulate that to the monk.

Thinking carefully, still downcast that he would not see the bottom of the ocean, he took out a Phoenix Essence and handed it to Arthur. "Take this, in case you have any... Difficulties. Find this lost book and fulfill the quest. The princess... You have to take care of her."

Arthur accepts the Essence, memories from a certain night flashing back to him. "I will," he swears somberly.

"Arthur will keep me safe," says Ella, kissing Tarn lightly on the cheek. She turns to the Doc. "This is the spot. How do we use your device?"

"Watch." He turns a knob or two, and the machine starts to hum. "Look over the side of the boat."

The heroes glance over the side of the boat and see a little bubble of air pressing against the surface of the water.

"Take these." He says, and hands each other them a small black pearl. "That will ensure the bubble stays with you. When you jump off the edge of the boat, aim for that, or you will be wet as you descend to the depths. The ocean is cold," he says, almost as if it were a stray observation.

"Tarn, Monk, it has been a pleasure. I will see you shortly." And with that, the Princess flings herself from the side of the boat and falls gracefully into the bubble below. Arthur follows shortly after, and as they sink Daneeka fiddles with the machine and the bubble sinks with them...

Tarn races to the side of the boat to try to see the Princess and Arthur as they descend in their bubble. "Stay safe, my love," he whispers, his words dancing on the crest of the waves.

"I wouldn't trust anyone's life with that machine," the captain says quietly to the heroes and U'Voros. "I let it onto my ship, but I wouldn't trust my life to it."

"The Princess will be okay don't worry about the Princess," titters U'Voros.

"Hey, it's her funeral." The captain looks into the depths. "It's dangerous down there, even with air."

"I wouldn't trust anyone's life with that machine," the captain says quietly to the heroes and U'Voros. "I let it onto my ship, but I wouldn't trust my life to it."

"Neither would I, but it's her big idea, so she may as well take the shot if she's so keen on it."

I lean a little closer and whisper, "Judging by her bodyguard and the creator of her machine though, I do have to question her judgement."

OoC: I apologize for the wait. I've been too busy. :wacko:

A chilly breeze whips across the ship.

"The guard is a soldier. I trust him. A little nervous but that's just youth." The Captain looks over at Daneeka. "Don't like machines. Don't recognize the species either. I know U'Kin, some work on the docks. They're honest and earnest. What do we know about the Doc? Not much. What is he? Why does he need the mask?"

"He seems a reasonable fellow, based on what we have seen of him thus far," remarked Tarn in response to the captain. "Ella trusts him, and her judgement is always sound."

He turns to Monk Pretzel. "Did you truly not wish to go down to the depths? I appreciate you staying here, but I worry for them. Not knowing what is happening is difficult."

"They always seem reasonable." The Captain looks out over the ocean, and suddenly his eyes narrow. He whips out a telescope quickly and stares into the distance before passing it to the heroes.

aa2097aa-d705-42e5-9129-75286d6c1052_zps42dbe3ec.jpg

"It's heading this way." The captain squints. "Fast. It looks to nice to be a pirate ship, but I've been wrong before." The captain turns to Daneeka and U'Voros. "Be prepared for some rough waves. They might be coming."

"He seems a reasonable fellow, based on what we have seen of him thus far," remarked Tarn in response to the captain. "Ella trusts him, and her judgement is always sound."

"I haven't seen enough of him for me to label him 'decent.' He has left a rather unfavourable first impression, and has done nothing to make me change that view of him," I snort.

He turns to Monk Pretzel. "Did you truly not wish to go down to the depths? I appreciate you staying here, but I worry for them. Not knowing what is happening is difficult."

I shrug uncomfortably and mumble something about "duty".

I train my Magnificent Microscope on the approaching ship and try to determine if I can make out any figures.

"I hope it's not our warrior friends from the shore."

Edited by Palathadric

"It's an old ship. Not used much, so it doesn't have many defenses. Most of them have been stripped and put on more active ships." The Captain clecnhes his jaw and a rumbling laugh bubbles inside of him. "Of course we're never defenseless. We do have one cannon. And I can use it."

Monk Pretzel looks at the ship through his telescope. He sees the men of the ship. They appear to be in some sort of uniform, but not one that the Monk can make out from this distance. As he watches, they dump what looks like a body off the ship.

I relate what I see to the others.

I turn on the doctor.

"Well, 'doctor,' you wouldn't happen to know whom that ship could belong to or what their interests are, would you?"

OoC: I apologize for the wait. This quest is dragging a little, and it is entirely my fault. I am very sorry, and can promise you there will be no more delays between now and the end of the quest! Last two weekends have been more hectic than I anticipated!

"No," the Doctor responds cooly to Pretzel.

The ship draws closer and closer. It is much... much bigger than the small boat the heroes are on. The party stands tensely. Captain Lane runs to the stern of the boat.

b64847f1-7acd-42a0-9b26-c94aff727988_zpsc5343030.jpg

"Ahoy!" he calls. The other ship sits dead in the water. U'Voros leans over to the Captain.

"We must not draw fire while the Princess is underwater we must not draw fire," hisses U'Voros.

"There is such a thing as respect left in this world," the Captain says crisply. He raises his voice again. "Ahoy! We are not a ship bearing goods. I am of the Bonaparte fleet." The other ship does not respond. "You can see clearly that we are too small to carry goods. The Bonapartes would not employ such a ship any longer. We are simply explorers." The other ship sits still. "Some of our crew members are below the water. Firing upon us would ensure their death."

"What are you saying!" yelps U'Voros.

"Quiet, U'Kin. No ship will fire on those who cannot defend themselves. We are all subjects of the sea as soon as we step aboard a ship. The gods of the waves are feared by all. No one will kill those who don't have a chance to defend themselves. The sea is a harsh place. But it looks after its own."

The Captain turns to the other ship once more.

"Below is a prophetess and her protector. They will be killed if you fire. Leave us in peace or board us to validate our claim."

The other ship begins to turn slowly, creaking loudly in the wind.

"And there you-"

There is a roar. The heroes are thrown off their feet. Their vision goes blank for a second or two.

69da3cac-8bc6-48b1-b625-027be5a59bac_zpsda83f31d.jpg

...the Princess, Master Tarn, we must save the Princess!" cries U'Voros as Tarn's eyes fly back open.

"EVACUATE THE SHIP!" cries Captain Lane as a gash in his head bleeds furiously. The wind whips away the blood before it can even touch the deck. The ship lurches violently as Doc Daneeka yanks Monk Pretzel off the floor.

"We must get the machine to safety."

"GET TO THE LIFE BOATS!"

What will the heroes do?

"Curses on their ship and its crew!" I cry.

I quickly try to determine the weight of the machine and if it will safely enter the lifeboats.

"How much time do we have?" I demand of the captain as I load the machine, assuming it will enter the lifeboat safely.