Moomin

Hello all - New to the Forum

Hi - Lego Pirates is definitely my favourite theme, and inspired by the Aubrey/Maturin series (just finishing off 'The Surgeon's Mate' at the moment) and some of the amazing models on here, decided to give building a brig-of-war a go. Had a few bits from my old 'Sea Hawk' and lots more from other sets/pick a brick purchases.

Still a work in progress, though a fair way down the line now, I post a pic of 'The Parrot' below. Apologies for the poor quality (taken on my phone). I will post better pics ASAP.

Any comments/advice much appreciated.

Thanks!

--- Original image replaced by this slightly better one - just need to read up on using brickshelf so I can display the rest here ---

post-117847-0-97451400-1388711185_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moomin

Welcome at Eurobricks,

Your Brig-of-war looks great so far, I'm looking forward to more pictures pirate_classic.gif .

Thanks for the replies, and Happy New Year to all ;-).

I will be uploading some more pictures in the next few days - very difficult to make out any detail from the current photo. The cannons are custom built from bits I ordered from the lego shop. Originally I spent a while sourcing the 'regular' lego cannons from ebay, but decided they were too big for a brig: maybe 24lbs+.

All the best :-).

Hi - a few pictures of the Brig - WIP at this stage - obviously, rigging and sails needed (string on there at the moment is more to hold the masts up than anything!;-).

Wow... my Lego is dusty...

Any advice much appreciated - first attempt at any biggish model for about 20 years!;-). Areas I'm not so happy with are: 1. the cabin - need more accessories and neatening up. 2. Decking - don't like the black paneling. 3. Needs a capstan 4. area where the anchor runs from needs work. 5. Possibly tumblehome could be added? think this may get a bit messy though, and relatively small ship...

It is not a copy of any ship in particular, but I had in mind HMS Speedy, HMS Badger and the Cruiser and Cherokee class brigs when building. Have considered extending slightly and adding a third mast, making some sort of corvette...

Have copied a pic of my cannons in - 16 like this and 2 slightly longer (and flatter) for bow chasers. Thought perhaps 6lbs for the broadside guns and 9lbs for the chasers? no expert on this, but kinda fits with what little I've read. Thought I was onto something new with the cannon design, but looking at the cannon page on the master index the other day, I see something pretty similar has been done before! Oh well!;-).

All the best,

M.

p1010221.jpg

p1010228.jpg

p1010223.jpg

p1010225.jpg

p1010226.jpg

p1010231.jpg

p1010236.jpg

p1010240.jpg

p1010239.jpg

p1010235.jpg

Thanks Mystus - did like the way the cannons turned out. I wanted to build a cannon (complete with a somewhat realistic carriage) that would be narrow enough to fit the brig. Always had the idea in mind of using small base parts side-on and with the double-studded connector, but tried numerous parts that I already owned and nothing was really working. I stumbled across the triangular base parts on the Lego shop, and decided to take a punt and ordered a batch - happy they worked well.

I should have spent more time reviewing the forum topics, as seems this concept has been used before - would have saved me some time! Doh!;-). I Certainly don't take the credit for the original concept.

I think these types of cannons look good on a smaller vessel - the regular Lego ones are too big, in my opinion; great for frigates and bigger ships, but think 16 of them would sink my little brig! :pir-sing:

Great ship there. There is just one thing I dislike. And its an opinion really. I just think that that little parrot figurehead seems a little insignificant compared to the beauty of the rest of the ship. Does your ship have a name?

Thanks C-Had18. Did cross my mind that my parrot is on the small side. The vessels working name is 'The Parrot' at present,but may change that later;-)

Edited by Moomin

This ship is very well armed for her size!

I like it a lot, my favourite part is the cabin! I just love how compact it is, yet seems very large inside! Brilliant little ship! ;)

That is a nice WIP you've got going Moomin. You've started a very clean looking ship and it will certainly end with a quality product.

You have done a great job keeping the ship low. This is impressive with the old style hulls which I find usually result in too tall and awkward of a ship. I do think it is odd having the back half of the ship two plates lower then the front half. Is there a reason for this?

The cannons fit very well. I've seen similar designs but this variation is new to me. I do think you overarmed her quite a bit. This is most apparent at the bow where you've extended the bow past the prefab hull to fit the two chasers into the bridle ports. Normally the two fore most guns would be brought forward and re-tackled to operate in that location. I think eliminating that pair and the white port covers would allow you to have the bow better align with the hull and result in a finer final result.

You've left out a tumblehome and I read your post. I think you've chosen correctly to neglect it. On an open deck ship like this I think its unnecessary and farther cramps a minifig illusion ship.

You have a great project going so far and I look forward to seeing what becomes.

-W.T.

Sleek and elegant, this is definitely going to turn out a beautiful ship. Those cannons are top-notch too. As far as the decking goes, have you considered using tiles? Especially in brown or dark brown the tiles really clean up the deck and enhance the look of everything on it, too.

This ship is very well armed for her size!

I like it a lot, my favourite part is the cabin! I just love how compact it is, yet seems very large inside! Brilliant little ship! ;)

Thanks pcvando - have been doing quite a bit of work on this, and will provide new pics when changes are complete. I do think now that the armament is a little on the heavy side, and discuss this a little more below. The cabin I have actually extended forward by 2 studs, and fitted captain's bed, chequered floor tiling and a couple of other bits - doesnt really change the look from the outside too much though.

That is a nice WIP you've got going Moomin. You've started a very clean looking ship and it will certainly end with a quality product.

You have done a great job keeping the ship low. This is impressive with the old style hulls which I find usually result in too tall and awkward of a ship. I do think it is odd having the back half of the ship two plates lower then the front half. Is there a reason for this?

The cannons fit very well. I've seen similar designs but this variation is new to me. I do think you overarmed her quite a bit. This is most apparent at the bow where you've extended the bow past the prefab hull to fit the two chasers into the bridle ports. Normally the two fore most guns would be brought forward and re-tackled to operate in that location. I think eliminating that pair and the white port covers would allow you to have the bow better align with the hull and result in a finer final result.

You've left out a tumblehome and I read your post. I think you've chosen correctly to neglect it. On an open deck ship like this I think its unnecessary and farther cramps a minifig illusion ship.

You have a great project going so far and I look forward to seeing what becomes.

-W.T.

Thanks for this - very helpful advice. The reason for the ship sloping downwards towards the stern was to give a cutter like look to the hull - I wanted to make the ship appear fast, but having undertaken a few mods now, I have thought this does seem a little strange now too. I'm reluctant to increase the height of the hull, but may create the illusion that the hull kicks up towards the rear by changing the colour of some of the rearmost black sections to white, making it appear that it 'moves up' by a couple of plates.

Most significantly, - and I really appreciate your advice here - I have been working on the bow. I have now moved it back, lost the two front chasers keeping only the black forward facing shutters and making it align with the prefab hull. This looks so much smoother and more realistic, and I can still employ forward chasers simply by moving the frontmost broadside guns by 90 degrees - simple solution to wanting bow chasers, and don't know why I didn't consider that before! It is hardly likely that both broadside and bow chasers would be needed at the same time. Very good this forum exists for useful tips like that. I think I became a bit obsessed with having a sharpish front to the ship (even tried extending yet further over the hull!), but on some of the pics of smaller real brigs, I see that it is unrealistic to have the bow overshooting the hull. Am working on an extended structure forward of the main bow, which will run into the jib - really hard to explain, so will post pics over next couple of weeks. I am really thinking that I well overarmed at 18 guns, and have scaled back to 16 - may even reduce to 14.

Cheers, M.

Sleek and elegant, this is definitely going to turn out a beautiful ship. Those cannons are top-notch too. As far as the decking goes, have you considered using tiles? Especially in brown or dark brown the tiles really clean up the deck and enhance the look of everything on it, too.

Thanks! Do like the cannons, and feel they fit the type/size of ship - depending on how many I end up cutting it out for (most likely between 12-16), may 'deem' them 6 or even 9 pounders - certainly no heavier though. I have now (pretty much) fully decked using the smooth brown tiles with a couple of black for variation (actually ran low on pieces) Never knew how expensive decking would be, but you're right - really neatens things up. As mentioned above, also black/white chess-boarded the stern cabin, which I like - a little pretentious on a ship of this size, maybe, but does look good IMHO. thanks for your advice!

M.

Edited by Moomin

Thank you all for taking an interest in this - very helpful advice here, and things I can really work with (and have already, in some cases). My overall aim is to create a fast, maneuverable brig that is to some extent historically accurate. I am not overly obsessed with historical detail, however, and want to keep it a fun, playable model (would have got shot of the rear cabin a long time ago if not!). I have found this forum more than incredibly helpful, both from those that have contributed and from the other MOCs on here. No way this would have got off the ground without you guys.

Once again, many thanks!

M.

Great ship! I love how it's only one deck, yet it's armed to the gils! Is there gonna be a top deck, it doesn't look like it the way that the wheel is on the bottom ;)

Great ship! I love how it's only one deck, yet it's armed to the gils! Is there gonna be a top deck, it doesn't look like it the way that the wheel is on the bottom ;)

Hi- is a bit over armed in those pics, n have scaled down armament a bit now - def gonna be single decked;-)

Hi - here are a few pics with showing progress on The Parrot. Obviously, sails and rigging still needed, and at some point, may re-work the colouring of the hull and stern to give a more curved appearance - thanks for the tips and advice so far! Apart from the decking, the main change is the re-working of the bow, removing the 2 chasers and the white gun ports - the white of the bow now aligns with the pre-fab hull, and the front guns can still be turned to use as chasers - thanks to Mr Townsend for the advice there!

M.

p1010285.jpg

p1010287.jpg

p1010291.jpg

p1010292.jpg

p1010293.jpg

p1010294.jpg

p1010296.jpg

p1010288.jpg

p1010289.jpg

Well done, I like the improvements, those costum cannons look really good, I might try these as well at some point.

Well done, I like the improvements, those costum cannons look really good, I might try these as well at some point.

Thanks for your continued interest in this, Sebeus I. Still work to do here, but the brig is pretty much there now - first attempt, and a few things I may do differently if I build another ship, but pretty happy with this on the whole. Cannons I'm pleased with too! Can't take the credit for the basic concept, but think these work well, particularly as a small cannon on a ship with relatively high gunports. Just out of interest - do you think pulling another pair of cannons off (from the front section) would be a good idea? having put a few men on deck to see how she looks, does still at times seem a bit overcrowded - once the lego figures are on, I realise just how small she is!pir_laugh2.gif

Your update really looks good Moomin! The bow looks much better now and the cabin looks very nice too. I like how big it is.

The cannons look good now I think though if you wante to reduce again I would suggest resizing out the ports. Normally on a ship of this size I would put four studs between guns and you've put three in the front and maybe four between you back few cannons. Make this uniform I think and it will drop a pair of guns and likely look nicer.

On concern I do have and you will want to fix it is your spanker booms. The lowest one is about two bricks too high and the top boom needs to be on the lower mast. It might not seem too big of an issue but it won't work when you try to make a sail.

This picture should illustrate though the spanker booms aren't the focal point.

9010873197_5f1319d707.jpg

Godwin-Austin WIP by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

Keep the updates coming!

Edited by Mr. Townsend

Your update really looks good Moomin! The bow looks much better now and the cabin looks very nice too. I like how big it is.

The cannons look good now I think though if you wante to reduce again I would suggest resizing out the ports. Normally on a ship of this size I would put four studs between guns and you've put three in the front and maybe four between you back few cannons. Make this uniform I think and it will drop a pair of guns and likely look nicer.

On concern I do have and you will want to fix it is your spanker booms. The lowest one is about two bricks too high and the top boom needs to be on the lower mast. It might not seem too big of an issue but it won't work when you try to make a sail.

This picture should illustrate though the spanker booms aren't the focal point.

9010873197_5f1319d707.jpg

Godwin-Austin WIP by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

Keep the updates coming!

Thanks again for the advice, Mr Townsend - prob will end up doing that with the cannon, as feel it would look better with the equal spacing too, and 14 guns on a brig this size adequate, I think;-). Great advice and picture for modifying the spanker booms - had thought there was something a little strange about those! Hopefully, can get these things dealt with soonish. M.

I think 3 studs between cannon ports is acceptable for this ship, considering it has costum cannons (smaller than the shooting ones) it works out well in my opinion.

They could indeed be spaced out a bit more equally although it's not really notable.

I think 3 studs between cannon ports is acceptable for this ship, considering it has costum cannons (smaller than the shooting ones) it works out well in my opinion.

They could indeed be spaced out a bit more equally although it's not really notable.

Thanks again, Sebeus I. I do think that the three spaces works fine with the cannons, but prob will give the 4 spaces a shot - my two main reasons are that I feel the frontmost broadside shutter looks a little err.. 'clunky' for want of a better description!;-). Secondly, I think it may be a bit on the heavy side carrying 16 guns - I know, at the end of the day, it is lego - so there are limitations - but one concern I had was that this is a pretty small brig - I'm estimating Parrot's gun deck in the low 20m range. Thought maybe 16 guns a bit heavy?? What do you think? One thing - as you mention too - is that these are small guns, so makes it more acceptable for a larger number... Mmm, Gonna have a think. A (potentially) useful by-product of increasing to 4 studs would be that the rigging on the front mast, where it connects with the hull, would then have more space - it would be the same as that with the main mast then... Anyway, the long and the short of it is that I think the 3 studs is fine, for sure, but will experiment with 4 studs, I think - better check my supplies for the bricks! I'm running seriously short now! I know this is a pretty minor build in the grand scheme of things, compared to many of the other ships here, but had no idea where this would take me! Really enjoyed it though, and great support on here. M.

Mr Townsend - just been looking at the Godwin - Austin pics on Flickr - That is superb! really liking it. Is there a thread on this forum?

I wouldn't worry too much about your gun count Moomin. I think the spacing isn't going to be a big problem and its not a bad thing to boast a few extra guns. It would be a large overhaul at this point and would set you back. Especially if your low on bits. In the end your would end up like me never finishing a project.

About the Godwin-Austin: I finally finished a project! She's been sitting on my mantle for about a month now waiting to be photographed. There is a WIP thread: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76991