Sign in to follow this  
LegoGBC

GBC Module - Pneumatic Grabber (Single Switch)

Hello!

I finally had the time to finish building & filming my new GBC module.

It uses a single switch and 2 cylinders. Because the air will always go to the cylinder which job is easier, the movment sequence works perfectly with one switch.

2 PF M motors are used to compress and change the switch's position, (2 because one PF M was too slow and I don't have an XL motor)

It was very hard to build the body of the crane as the cylinders try to "escape" from turning the gears.

Here's the video. Not very long as I will also show this module on my next GBC loop

Good module!

Taking into account akiyuki´s module, yours is slighter different. I like the corner angle and the explanation of how it works. I never knew how it worked till today... :)

Will a loop come soon?

Hope I finish one this christmas, with the free time :).

Congrats for it!

Good module!

Taking into account akiyuki´s module, yours is slighter different. I like the corner angle and the explanation of how it works. I never knew how it worked till today... :)

Will a loop come soon?

Hope I finish one this christmas, with the free time :).

Congrats for it!

Thanks, a loop is indeed coming soon ;).

Very clewer idea with only a single switch. :thumbup: Your video is also well edited and clear to understand. I associated to the 8868's B model, that is similar (and the best B model all time).

Edited by Mbmc

I love this!

Having just come out of my dark age I became interested in the developments in RC'd vehicles but then I stumbled across GBC and I was absolutely mesmerised. Modules are fascinating things and I could watch the YT videos of them on loop all day long!

Out of interest, what's the need for 2 medium motors in this module? Would it work with 1?

I love this!

Having just come out of my dark age I became interested in the developments in RC'd vehicles but then I stumbled across GBC and I was absolutely mesmerised. Modules are fascinating things and I could watch the YT videos of them on loop all day long!

Out of interest, what's the need for 2 medium motors in this module? Would it work with 1?

Hi,

As explained in the first post, 1 M motor will be pretty slow for this so the module will be less nice to watch. Since I don't have an XL motor which is optimal here, I used 2 M motors with 1.667 gearing to make things faster.

Thanks for watching :)

I did build the version by Akiyuki and it is rather 'finicky' ... later, I 'translated' Akiyuki's page and himself mentioned it was very 'sensitive' as well. My recollection though is that his version used 2 pneumatic switches, how did you manage the same 4-cycle with simply 1 switch? Do you have a pneumatic diagram that explains that?

I did build the version by Akiyuki and it is rather 'finicky' ... later, I 'translated' Akiyuki's page and himself mentioned it was very 'sensitive' as well. My recollection though is that his version used 2 pneumatic switches, how did you manage the same 4-cycle with simply 1 switch? Do you have a pneumatic diagram that explains that?

Well at first I tried building Akiyuky's but the module simply refused to spin correctly. So I thought of this one.

How only one switch is used is explained in the video, But i'll draw something quick in paint for you

EDIT

here

20i8mfk.jpg

As explained in the video & first post, because the air will always go to the cylinder which job is easier, only 1 switch is needed. So once one cylinder finishes its movment (can no longer extend) the air will "automatically" flow to the other one.

Edited by LegoGBC

Hi,

As explained in the first post, 1 M motor will be pretty slow for this so the module will be less nice to watch. Since I don't have an XL motor which is optimal here, I used 2 M motors with 1.667 gearing to make things faster.

Thanks for watching :)

D'oh, yeah I see that now! I assume that this could also be manually wound? Of course it'd probably be painfully slow!

I notice that you have the pneumatic switch offset from the rest of the mechanics, requiring the two universal joints. As far as I can tell, that input axle is the only constraint in placing that bit, so it shouldn't have been too much trouble to build it so that the axle could go straight through.

I'm sure you have a good reason for doing that, just curious as to what it is?

I notice that you have the pneumatic switch offset from the rest of the mechanics, requiring the two universal joints. As far as I can tell, that input axle is the only constraint in placing that bit, so it shouldn't have been too much trouble to build it so that the axle could go straight through.

I'm sure you have a good reason for doing that, just curious as to what it is?

The height of the switch isn't the same as the input axle. I don't remember why I didn't match them, but there was a reason for sure.

WOW! :oh: That is amazing. Now that is how it's done, what an excellent machine. What is so amazing that got me excited on the machine. It's the fact that there is only one switch to run two cylinders in sequential manner due to the path of least resistance. Great Job!

WOW! :oh: That is amazing. Now that is how it's done, what an excellent machine. What is so amazing that got me excited on the machine. It's the fact that there is only one switch to run two cylinders in sequential manner due to the path of least resistance. Great Job!

Thank you!

I've recently published the full loop, take a look ;)

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=93726