Hello everybody,

I am trying to get my mindstorm EV3 to work with my Android 4.1.2, although I cant find any tutorial on internet that can teach me how to do that.

Actually, I've been trying to work with Monobrick and Xamarin, but I am experiencing some unknown error when I try to add the DLL's from the "Monobrick for Android" library to my Android Xamarin project.

Do you know any library that I can use to communicate my android with my EV3 using the bluetooth ?

I am intending to initially communicate via Bluetooth with my EV3, just sending basic commands like go forward, backward, left, right etc.

Afterwards I will try to integrate it with OpenCV in order to let the robot see the "outside world".

So please if you guyz know anything about communicating android and MindStorm EV3, it would help me A LOT.

Thanks.

Hi Tsukanomon,

I bit late, but better late than never. Welcome to EB!!

Regarding your question; unfortunately I don't have any experience with Android programming, so I don't have any experience with Android and Bluetooth.

Did you get the Android Remote app working with the EV3 brick?

Hello Jim (and others),

I have also bought the EV3 but still have problems with the Android Bluetooth. I would like to use the Commander app on Android mobiles/tablets for the sample models. I have tried it with a Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab2 7.0, Galaxy Ace2 and a Galaxy Mini2 but none of them manage to get a good connection. I see that EV3 can make a connection (I put the option iPod, iPhone, iPad off), but the connection don't stay on. I have upgrade the stone towards 1.03H, but everytime i look in the app, he still keeps asking "Select Device:" and i can't see any device.

I have tried it with a iPhone (with the option iPod, iPhone, iPad on), than it works.

What could be the problem? Is it that the stone needs a Bluetooth 4.0 connection? Or is it possible with a lower version?

Is there any other app necessary to get the connection right? If i connect the mobile in the car with Bluetooth, than i see those Brackets <> around the B of Bluetooth. When I connect to the stone it doesn't give those brackets, so it tells me that the connection dispeared after he did the initial handshake/pairing.

Are there other people who got the Android Bluetooth working? On which Android mobile/tablets? Are there any other tips you can give me to tried it to get in working.

Thank you very much!

I just tested again (after system update), works fine on my Nexus 7 first version using Android 4.4.2 (it worked fine with previous versions too). I just had to pair the brick and the Nexus using Android BT search.

Hi EW,

Welcome to EB! Nice to see a new Mindstorms fan!

I don't have experience with Android devices, so I can't really help you out.

However, if my memory serves me well, there was some discussion about this in the Mindstorms General Discussion topic:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=87371

(I'll search the thread in a bit)

Thanks Jim,

I found something but not a solution. I found that there is a difference between the retail and the eductional version. On 30 september they (LEGO) said that they will work on a solution. I don't know if they think the solution is in the V1.03H version. On my Ev3 it doesn't give me the solution.

Hopefully somebody else can tell me more about a working Andriod - EV3 (retail) combination on a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 or Galaxy S3 or a lower Android version 2.3.6.

Regards, Edwin

I just tested again (after system update), works fine on my Nexus 7 first version using Android 4.4.2 (it worked fine with previous versions too). I just had to pair the brick and the Nexus using Android BT search.

We have an EV3 and Nexus 7 and are stuck. The EV3 brings up a Bluetooth "passkey" page. If this passkey needs to be entered on the Nexus, there's no obvious option to do that there. If this passcode is supposed to match something already set on the Nexus, we've never set a passkey there either. If we delete the default "1234" passcode on the EV3 and press Enter, nothing happens either. What's the way past that?

Update: On repeated attempts, it finally came up with a screen for the passkey entry on the Nexus. Looks like maybe these things time out too fast.

Edited by whit

My problem is now solved by a new EV3 brick. The issue with getting no connection with an Android phone was staying. After getting in contact with the LEGO support desk we have tested a lot. I made some pictures from the errors and they did some research. They got no solution for me and sended me a new P-Brick. I have tested that stone and i worked immediately. I'm happy now!

Hello Tsukanomon, Everybody

I finally managed to establish a bluetooth communication between na android app (using eclipse) and EV3 . Let me know if you still need it and I will prepare a detailed material or you.

Until now i can control motors and read sensors with direct commands.

Patrick Levy

Edited by patrilev

Hi Patrilev,

Can you post the instructions? I'm having the same issue.

Thank you!

Hi Patrick Levy,

This is Souvik from India.i am new to lego mindstorm ev3. I am trying to connect a android (eclipse) or may be a android phone to mindstorm eve3 . while i was searching for any tutorial online i visited this page and came along your post that you have managed to achieve the connections.

It would really be kind if you could show me or sent me any documentation or any kind stuff that might help me accomplishing my project, i would really be grateful to you.

My email address :

dsouvik.1993@gmail.com

dsouvik.1993@outlook.com

You can sent me the documents in any one the above emails.

Thanking you in advance.

Edited by dsouvik

Hello guys,

@ Patrilev

Currently I'm trying to control EV3 with Android via Bluetooth, I've done this in the past with NXT and LejOS, but you have API classes specified to do this in NXT.

Can you help? Have you done it with LejOS?

You can contact me here: subrodrigues@gmail.com

Thanks in advance