Sign in to follow this  
Empire911

Battle of Hoth MOC (WIP)

Hello to all,

In the beginning of 2011, I started to build my biggest MOC ever: the Battle of Hoth with the Echo Base. As you will see it is still far from ready but I what to share this with you guys as a WIP. What I want to hear are comments to improve the MOC, so that I can make it better or more like in the movie. Two AT-AT's of cavegod's design are still to come. Thanks and I hope you like it :classic:

Here are the pics:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=537082

Cheers Empire911

It looks great... There's a Youtube video of a similar MOC with crashed Snowspeeders, AT-ATs etc and opening and closing blast doors.

Have a look for that and it may give you a few ideas for yours.

I wish I had the space to attempt something like this!

Hi Empire

I've been looking forward to seeing an update of this and it's progressing nicely, great work! A few suggestions:

i) The walls of the X-Wing hangers should slope inwards more to match the original set. Brickplumber's version re-created this very well (link).

ii) The landing lights should be in two parallel strips as far as I can tell, rather than a circular pattern.

iii) I like the exposed face of the base, but the internal walls need to be less uniform and neat. I'd suggest using combinations of slopes and inverted slopes to create a 'rock face' in a few areas.

iv) You might want to wait until next year before starting work on the AT-ATs...it's a distinct possibility that there might be an official UCS version!

I hope that this helps

Cheers, Robin :classic:

This is amazing and huge, I love it. The only things I would add so far is more cables and conduit hanging along the perimeter. There should be some lights on the floor where the ship hangars are. I understand it's a WIP but this looks like a good start already and you should be very proud of it! :sweet::thumbup:

@Robianco: I see which youtube video you are referring to, I remade the idea of the corridors/chambers in the walls. His MOC of Hoth is stunning. :classic:

@Lobot: The things you say are problems that I saw to, but for example the walls of the x-wing hangers is something I can not just re-do. I can mod it later so I maybe don't have to break the whole section off. :classic:

@Lobot and Only Sinner: The landing lights are easy to change, but they won't be real lights. I'm working on putting lights in the corridors/chambers (pic will come soon). The walls will be added with wires and rock formations in the future. :classic:

@Lobot and Only Sinner: The landing lights are easy to change, but they won't be real lights. I'm working on putting lights in the corridors/chambers (pic will come soon). The walls will be added with wires and rock formations in the future. :classic:

Personally I would use LEDs in the landing lights, as they'd look (and I use this word sparingly) awesome! I'm a great fan of Technic LEDs, and they would really show-off the Falcon by illuminating the underside of it :wub: :wub:

And I looked for the inverted walls of the hangars of the x-wing's. Question: are the walls of the snowspeeder hangars inverted to?

It's a good question! I had a quick trawl through the original film last night, and my faithful copy of 'The making of the Empire Strikes Back' and the majority of the hangar is filmed from the position of where the snowspeeders are parked. I don't think that they actually built that part of the set completely, but Ralph McQuarrie's original artwork has sloping walls on both sides of the hangar so it's likely that they should have been :classic:

Wow, thats awesome. I wish I had the space for such a creation, think my wife would go nuts if I took over the dining table :laugh:

Ace stuff

Thanks Lobot to check it for me, I also took a look at some pics but indeed not much to see.

I will wait with the walls of the snowspeeder hangars and look at the x-wing ones first, the inverted slopes of 3 bricks high are not that cheap!

Today I opened the piece above the main doors to lay an electric wire for the lights in the rooms. I also started to build the holders for the wires on the walls :classic: