Alcom1

LDD FoV = 30 = binoculars + duct tape.

I guess it's completely my fault. Working in a variety of Cad programs, playing a few first person games, I have become way too sensitive and aware to the field of view of the programs I use. So as a result, the following has become rather intensely aggravating to me, *ahem*:

[humorous statement deleted]

While LEGO Digital Designer doesn't outright display its field of view, it is very possible to figure it out experimentally. It is obvious that LDD isn't isometric, a small blessing, so the field of view can be determined by recording the location of the camera and how far sideways distant objects can be placed before they disappear from view. After performing a bit of trigonometry and drawing a diagram, I got this:

LffUXss.png

Unfortunately the aggravation induced by a poor FoV is rather difficult to explain, as it is almost a qualia, or an ineffable feeling. I can't describe the bad feeling, though I can express it. Oh, also I can show excellent comparison pictures thanks to LDD2Pov. Both of the following pictures were taken from the same camera angle. The only thing that changes here is the distance from the camera to the object:

zOkV2rG.png

GOSI1tR.png

30 degrees is terrible. What's worse is that the FoV is tied to the horizontal dimension and not the vertical dimension of the window, so the vertical FoV will always be lower, unless you have one of those exotic computer screens that is taller than it is wide, or unless you do something like this:

Before

Syn2gME.png

After (Camera has not moved)

G04NR0f.png

All the other Cad programs I use have an FoV slider or option, which I set between 50 and 90 depending on what I am doing. In gaming an FoV of 30 is what you would expect from some scope or zoom effect, so LDD locking at 30 degrees is like taping a toy pair of binoculars to my face, thus the title metaphor.

While I am very much thankful for the development of LDD2Pov and its FoV options, LDD2Pov has no effect on my building environment. LDD2Pov also seems to be very weak at interior screenshots with its camera positioning and lighting settings, so I would rather use LDD, except using LDD makes a screenshot from the back wall of a room look like this:

2ZNvsYs.pngWfuZRks.png

I would normally believe the excuse that building mechanics in LDD is dependent on the low FoV for functionality. After all, I've known programs to have stranger functions tied to FoV (I'm looking at you,

). However, after my frequent usage of the LDD within LU that operated at an FoV of 40, and after experimenting with the new super skinny view that expanding the bricks list causes to create a faux high FoV, I would now find this very hard to believe.

Here is what I want: An FoV slider for LEGO Digital Designer. That's it. I cannot image how this would be difficult or impossible to enable. Put it as a cheap addition to the .ini file, or added it to the preferences tab in the actual program. I know that I am currently the only individual asking for this, but I know that, with the addition of such a feature, that other users will understand it and appreciate it. Please? LEGO? Development team of LDD? I am begging you!

Please?

and thank you for developing such a magnificent LEGO building tool.

Edited by Alcom1

I support this for two reasons:

1 - Agreed, it would be a great feature and,

2 - So Alcom can stop talking about it. :tongue:

Edited by jamesster

Skype conversation blurb I just had with a bit more epiphany:

[11:21:12 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): I can't understand the issue between the first two images. I know there are differences but how are they significant?

[11:21:35 PM] Alcom Isst: Artistic quality on the rendering side. Basic immersion on the building side.

[11:23:13 PM] Alcom Isst: The creations look more... real, at a higher FoV. You're not just building a creation from a distance, you can move the camera inside, look around from the perspective of a minifigure at a higer FoV.

I support this for two reasons:

1 - Agreed, it would be a great feature and,

2 - So Alcom can stop talking about it. :tongue:

I particularly agree with option 2. Besides, didn't you already make this thread? I remember you requesting this in the LDD5 thread too. Many other builders have feature requests for LDD; complaining each time a new update doesn't yet implement them is not the way to go about things.

EDIT: Links added oh mah goodness

Edited by Gnac

I second Your proposal, as a frequent CAD user at work, current LDD FOV bugs me alot and I really hope that the LDD team take's notice of this proposal. Perhaps our good friends Superkalle has some input on this?!

Oh, so it was not a "deja-vu" :grin:

The argument has been discussed previously. Maybe some moderator will merge the old and the new topic.

Well, yes, but it feels like its been over a year (only 11 months?!) since I wrote that topic, and I felt that an essay with a stronger level of eloquence was in order, and that it would have been even more confusing if I had done a grand revive/replace-content on the old one. I won't make this topic again unless its eight years later and the topic is an entire novel easily loadable by the contemporary super-internet.

Oh, so it was not a "deja-vu" :grin:

The argument has been discussed previously. Maybe some moderator will merge the old and the new topic.

Also I'm like 'Oh studs, they noticed'. :look:

Edited by Alcom1

THE FIELD OF VIEW OF LEGO DIGITAL DESIGNER SUCKS BURPS.

Please avoid these kind of meaningless outbursts. This is a forum for AFOLs = Adult fans of LEGO.

We need to have a talk. Sending PM.

Please avoid these kind of meaningless outbursts. This is a forum for AFOLs = Adult fans of LEGO.

We need to have a talk. Sending PM.

Well I deleted it sir, though by quoting it you did kinda make it a bit more permanent. :sceptic:

Edited by Alcom1

Eh, some people don't appreciate an intentionally overdramatic writing style for the sake of humor, I suppose...

It's an odd workaround, but perhaps Cheat Engine could be used to trick LDD into rendering things with an FOV that doesn't induce headaches?

Edited by jamesster

I'll bring you into the PM to jamesster.

You guys need to understand this is a serious forum, and if you want use an "over-dramatic writing style", then there are other forums on the internet where you can do that.

Read and replied.

On the main subject here, I've got Cheat Engine ready to go, and given the nature of LDD I don't expect much of a challenge in finding the value for the FOV and locking it to whatever we please. Though, I'm not sure if I should be looking for the value of the horizontal window resolution (as that's what seems to directly control the FOV), or if I should be looking for the FOV directly...

Edited by jamesster

A month later, I haven't heard from Jamesster about it, and my attempts to use the Cheat Engine have only caused LDD to get rather flustered. Cheat Engine is not recommended unless you want to maybe get a few spontaneous laughs out of LDD.

Meanwhile I ran into some friends who were demanding and upset by the same thing. :laugh:

[6:41:41 PM] Brigs: As I work on my Cogitare Restaurant, I increasingly need a FoV slider in LDD...

[6:41:52 PM] Tim Beale (The Pangolin): xD

[6:41:54 PM] The Machine: For what?

[6:43:04 PM] The Machine: LDD? :P

[6:43:22 PM] Brigs: Yep. :P

[6:44:57 PM] Alcom Isst: YOU SUMMONED ME?!

[6:45:26 PM] Brigs: Thank you, Alcom. :P

[6:46:00 PM] The Machine: This is utterly ridiculous. It's probably just 2 bytes somewhere in their code that sets the FOV of the window.

[6:46:01 PM] Alcom Isst: I'm guessing you are aware, Brigs, but this is an issue that I have been flailing my arms over.

[6:46:13 PM] The Machine: However, they could be using FOV for their brick placement calculations

[6:46:18 PM] The Machine: So higher FOV could cause problems

[6:46:20 PM] Alcom Isst: They don't.

[6:46:23 PM] The Machine: Are you sure? :P

[6:46:30 PM] Alcom Isst: Yes, for two reasons.

[6:46:51 PM] Alcom Isst: 1: LU had LDD within it, and had an FoV of 40.

[6:47:11 PM] The Machine: So? :P

[6:47:30 PM] The Machine: That doesn't mean it'd work in LDD.

[6:47:59 PM] Alcom Isst: 2: You can simulate a higher FoV in LDD by sqeezing the screen horizonally, creating a wide vertical FoV, and bricks place fine at the top and the bottom of the screen.

[6:48:41 PM] Brigs: I tried such, and I saw the light...