Sign in to follow this  
Alfadas

[MOC] ?freebuild? medieval town center

Hi again, here I am again with some pics of a medieval town center. I know the pics are not good, but I wanted to upload them anyway. Here you go and enjoy!

11148611695_9dc8f67d0c_c.jpg

The gates with some cows outside.

11148612205_1444e41cbe_c.jpg

Just an old man sitting under a tree, with bow seller on background.

11148669364_4ae4648ae4_c.jpg

The actual center, with some market sellers, and a thief steeling an apple and therefore being chased by some guards. In the back the bow seller, and an elf with some orc slaves searching for a nice bow.

11148670064_981d168c1f_c.jpg

The blacksmith, some monks and the mayor of the town welcoming reinforcements. In the back is a dude trying to sell some wooden planks. In front of that some semi-adults "fighting".

11148670434_a63076113a_c.jpg

Better shot of the monks. Thought it was a nice way to use some Gandalfs. Just change hands and head, give it a cape and hoodie, and you have a monk.

Hope you like it, feel free to comment.

There are a lot of elements in this moc that I really like. Your minifigs, for example, are very artfully posed and convey a nice sense of life to the scene. I also appreciate that you've tried to branch out into a bigger scale and that you made a conscious effort to avoid the dreaded big grey wall by mixing together light and dark grey. With that said, however, there is definite room for improvement. As it stands, your exterior landscape would benefit greatly from putting the moc on green rather than grey baseplates; I am not sure how well that poor tree will fair growing in stone. You could also use some plates and more ground cover that would help the lively scene mesh better with the environment. In terms of the structure, it is still missing some 3d texture, either through more slopes or inclusion of snot, and some overall detail. Some decorations and non right angles would also be nice. Please don't read this as harsh, I am merely trying to give you some tips to improve. You have the fundamentals here on the small scale, I just get the impression that you got ahead of yourself and compromised while trying to scale up your building.

I agree with Yeti on several points, namely the use of dark grey to break up the light grey. In the past, when I was confronted with the problem, I always used leaves to cover it up. :laugh: The landscaping could still use some work, although the little slopes and tiles help. Maybe adding angled plates or using layers of plates to create depressions and small hills. Also, adding leaves to the ground will help (though I always find this a piece number problem for me). As Yeti said, the structure could benefit form more angled pieces and the tree would look better if it wasn't so symmetrical. I have posted on different tree designs before, here is the link if you wanna check it out. http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=87904 Just scroll down until you see the tree pictures. :classic:

The Yeti has some great advice :thumbup: I do like how much action you gave the build by the figs and their posing :classic:

Thanks all. Indeed, I am not really good at making landscaping. I am definitely going to try something that ads 3D to the wall, indeed by using slopes on 1x1 with stud on front, don't know what they are officially called.

I don't have a ton of brown tree pieces, or brown pieces that can be used as tree pieces, so trees will stay a problem for me. I neither have a lot of stone pieces, to make rocks. That will also stay a problem.

For Challenge B I am planning to make a nice fortress, with landscaping. The problem is, I only have a bunch of these:

4114348.jpg

Not much other plant parts. Not a big problem though. I hope to post it here asap.

Thanks again for the replies, and I will use some of the tips!