finishlast

Finishlast Christmas 2013 - Re-Reloaded

Yes, but that would mean 62 leds. So you would have to handle 124 wires. I think you'll get a problem with space and a major headache.

But I would love to see that anyway!

And there will be a problem powering 62 LEDs.

The Arduino only gives 80 mA output. Every single LEDs needs 20mA. That is much more than the Arduino can deliver.

So you have to deal with an own attached power circuit, like even we did.

This brings back the problem of not being able to make free programs with the Arduino.

I have tried to take an Arduino board as base for this challenge, but I decided back to the classic circuits after calculating needed space, transistors and resistors.

It may be an idea to get the Arduino powering up the Lego motor with code for step motors. So we are able to write a carrousel "driving program". But in the other way that is much money for this little function.

And the motor switch from finishlasts post above will be the better way.

... And now I have to get a carrousel turning around...

Yes, but that would mean 62 leds. So you would have to handle 124 wires. I think you'll get a problem with space and a major headache.

But I would love to see that anyway!

Not really, transistors can reduce those wire count and make the max output arduino can handle a moot point.

There's no space in the base of the caroussel, so you would need to somehow wire the 48leds to the top if you really want to be able to light every single led via microcontroller, I don't see a place for the arduino except in the top part.

I placed 10 transistors in the top and it's already only little space left.

Maybe the next winter set will give us more space for fancy arduino fun.

A max7219 with 64 channels could do the trick. 8x8 Matrix with max7219 and arduino.

But then again.. getting the matrix wired wouldn't be that easy.

Placed the motor to the right side, so now I can move the caroussel more to the back of the diorama.

I know its too fast, I aIready changed that and integrated it into a larger base plate and soldered everything into place.

Next thing I have to come up with is a custom motor switch.

Oh dear, will this ever end?!

I think I move the other 2 booths somewhere in the other bases. Will have to --- sleep over it ;D

OK. Slept over it.

img-20131109-00064.jpg

I came up with this, oh well.

img-20131111-00067.jpg

Edited by finishlast

OK then, I placed everything on the bigger diorama "part"-base and got the switch into place.

I can now stop and start the motor by pushing the red emergency button, the button concept works very well.

2013-10.jpg

I connected everthing and put some light into Gandalf's - eh - Santa's street lamps.

2013-11.jpg

Edited by finishlast

I finished the caroussel display part, my wife told me to do something against the "epileptic" lights....

or she doesn't allow me to place it in the living room ;) OH DEAR.

So I had to make another switch for the caroussel lights itself. It is green and placed next to the red one.

Well now I can decide to run the caroussel with lights, without lights, or not moving or whatever.

I seriously need a break!!!

Anyways, now I have to place the last 2 booths somewhere and I'm done for this year.

ROCK'N ROLL!!!!

2013-12.jpg

Edited by finishlast

Lovely end result finishlast. The control buttons made from LEGO are a really nice touch they do not stand out this way.

:thumbup:

Here comes a little update out of my workshop...

Every christmas market needs a "Feuerzangenbowle" ... a flaming fire tongs punch:

Feurzange.jpg

In Sepia, for Mr. Pfeiffer with three "f":

feuerzange2.jpg

and... for your way to bed, some roasted chestnuts, anyone?

feuerzange3.jpg

Lovely, indeed. I have to figure out how to place the diorama above my tv.

It about's 1,5 meters long - eh - about 5 feet. I think I have to buy some wood board on monday.

All work and no play makes finishlat a dull boy.

Mmmh christmas markets... mmmh remember happiness is just a Flaming Moe away.

So after weeks of festive work I'm done for this year, so take a look at its final destination (over the television)

xmas2013-13.jpg

xmas2013-14.jpg

xmas2013-15.jpg

xmas2013-16.jpg

xmas2013-17.jpg

xmas2013-18.jpg

I hope it was at least a bit interesting for you!

Edited by finishlast

It was a pleasure following this topic. Thanks a lot for all the updates and showing the great end results. Really appreciate it.