martin1965

What to buy? Minstorms EV3 Educational or Retail?

Hi all,

I don't post much, much today i decided to ask for some advice from you.

I want to buy the new EV3 set. I was already looking to buy the previous incarnation, but the time was not always right, but i finally decided to pull the trigger.

But... I don't know if it would be better to buy the EV3 Educational (already available) or Retail (available on 1 September) - either ways, just by the mid September i will buy the set.

My background? I love Technic sets, and i do some programming for the web, so my interest in robots/technical lego/programming is very high. :)

I'm aware of some of the differences between the 2 sets (differente sensors, packaging, etc.). I know the Retail version would be around 399 Euros, but i can get the Education version + software licence package for about 480 Euros.

Based on all your knowledge and previous Mindstorms versions, i have some questions:

1 - if i buy the Retail, and later the Expansion Education set + Ultrasonic Sensor + Gyro Sensor (the specific Education sensors), can i build all the larger Education models (like the elephant, the dog, etc.)?

2 - is the programming software the same on the Retail and Education sets, or the Education one has more capabilities?

3 - I've read that the Education version has more bricks. So, if i buy the Education, and later the IR Sensor + IR Beacon, will i be able to build all the Retail models (the 5 basic ones + the 12 extra)?

4 - Does the Education version, and buying later the IR Sensor + IR Beacon (the specific Retail parts), has everything the Retail version has plus way more options?

So i'm a little undecided about what would be best... This will be my first journey into Mindstorms world (with a backgound in Technic sets and programming). What would be your advice?

Thanks all!

Edited by martin1965

Retail will cost 349,99 euro. You would need gyro, ultrasonic and one additional touch sensor plus unknown number of bricks to build educaton models. Three sensor alone will cost you around 100 euro, so maybe its better to wait and gather some money and buy educational set too. Please also note that you need two P-bricks for some larger education models.

Regardins specific questions: its impossible to tell before we get partlist.

Retail will cost 349,99 euro. You would need gyro, ultrasonic and one additional touch sensor plus unknown number of bricks to build educaton models. Three sensor alone will cost you around 100 euro, so maybe its better to wait and gather some money and buy educational set too. Please also note that you need two P-bricks for some larger education models.

Regardins specific questions: its impossible to tell before we get partlist.

Thanks. Yes, i guess it would be too soon without the parts list... But i was just wondering if buying one or another, what would be the cheapest/best way to in the future build all the Education and Retail models, spending the least amount of money :)

The retail kit will be out on September 1st and the price is estimated around 399 euro. The retail set has a decent amount of parts and pretty awesome sensors. You can read more about it here : http://brickobot.wordpress.com/ev3/review/ The software will be distributed for free via the LEGO website.

As for the education set, it is cheaper and also has some nice sensors, such as the gyro and ultrasonic sensor and a rechargeable battery pack (not the charger itself! you can buy this from shop@home for 24.99 euro). The price here in Belgium is 369 euro for the basic kit. However, the software to program it has to be bought separately and will add an additional cost of 99 euro, so that make 468 (+25 for charger -- same as the one for the white NXT battery pack or PF lipo)) in total!

My opinion?

It really depends on your needs and budget which one you buy. If you can do what you want with the sensors from the retail kit I should recommend you to buy this one first and wait a bit with the edu kit, it might be that extra plugins for the free software will be created for the gyro and ultrasonic so you don't have to spend 99 euro on the software.

Brick'obot

Check out this topic:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77892&st=250

There are some considerations regarding compatibility of sensors and the software.

But if you buy the education set it doesnt have all the software? I cant beloeve that.

The educational license is sold seperately to schools etc, if I am not mistaken. That's why it's not included (I guess).

Previous education sets never came with software. But since retail software will be available free buying the kit itself this should not be a problem. Please note that educatonal software is a bit more complex than retail version - it has data-logging capability and additional instructions (Cwetqo mentioned them already).

Lego stated that Education version has a bit more bricks added. However, I think that the majority of parts (besides sensors and battery) are quite common. Therefore I guess you could build Elephant. If not, you can always buy some bricks from BL or use bricks from other technic sets. Probably it's the same other way around.

Edited by teflon

So you should be able to instal the education version on the retail version. Just costs more money...

What else can you do with the brick? Never seen anything else then the official videos... And its not compatiable wit PF is it?

@teflon: i presume that you still have EV3 education kit? Did you also get software? Are instructions for edu sets included? On paper or via software? There are supposed to be ipad and android apps with instructions, but they are not online yet. I wonder if they will include just retail models? I would also like to know iouldf edu software contains blocks for IR sensor? It should, because edu is selling those as replacement parts.

Well, since the retail vesion is now available with all the parts list, i'm returning to my original question for a decision an Mindstorms a first buyer:

"I want to buy the new EV3 set. I was already looking to buy the previous incarnation, but the time was not always right, but i finally decided to pull the trigger.

But... I don't know if it would be better to buy the EV3 Educational (already available) or Retail (available on 1 September) - either ways, just by the mid September i will buy the set.

My background? I love Technic sets, and i do some programming for the web, so my interest in robots/technical lego/programming is very high. :classic:

I'm aware of some of the differences between the 2 sets (differente sensors, packaging, etc.). I know the Retail version would be around 399 Euros, but i can get the Education version + software licence package for about 480 Euros.

Based on all your knowledge and previous Mindstorms versions, i have some questions:

1 - if i buy the Retail, and later the Expansion Education set + Ultrasonic Sensor + Gyro Sensor (the specific Education sensors), can i build all the larger Education models (like the elephant, the dog, etc.)?

2 - is the programming software the same on the Retail and Education sets, or the Education one has more capabilities?

3 - I've read that the Education version has more bricks. So, if i buy the Education, and later the IR Sensor + IR Beacon, will i be able to build all the Retail models (the 5 basic ones + the 12 extra)?

4 - Does the Education version, and buying later the IR Sensor + IR Beacon (the specific Retail parts), has everything the Retail version has plus way more options?

So i'm a little undecided about what would be best... This will be my first journey into Mindstorms world (with a backgound in Technic sets and programming). What would be your advice?"

Now some updates, i can get the following kits here in Portugal:

- EV3 Retail kit = 399.95 Euros

- EV3 Education version kit + software + transformer = 489.95 Euros

And i just realized that the Edu version does not have the stickers, but i guess i can buy them later on bricklink... So, what do you think it would be the best way to start on this wonderful Mindstorms world? Start with Edu or Retail kit? :classic:

Edited by armindodias777

:thumbup:

The educational version also has the rechargeable battery which itself is pretty expensive. Okay, you don't have the stickers and panels, but you can get those separately, like the IR sensor and beacon.

The educational version also has the rechargeable battery which itself is pretty expensive. Okay, you don't have the stickers and panels, but you can get those separately, like the IR sensor and beacon.

Ted, sorry for the ignorance, but what panels are you refering to?

I also don't get that box with the tracks printed that wraps the set itself on the retail version, correct? (i can't explain better, lol, but i guess i could also get these on the bricklink later :classic: )

Ted, sorry for the ignorance, but what panels are you refering to?

I also don't get that box with the tracks printed that wraps the set itself on the retail version, correct? (i can't explain better, lol, but i guess i could also get these on the bricklink later :classic: )

The retail version includes a lot of white panels, where the stickers are applied to. These are not included in the educational version. The retail version is targeted for fun building and better looking robots. The educational version emphasizes on more educational robots.

You can always buy the panels and some other parts from bricklink. It all depends on what you like better.

The cover/wrapper indeed has to be cut open to form the surface for some challenges.

LEGO Mindstorms EV3 education parts difference to retail version

These are the parts you need to add to your Lego Mindstorms EV3 education version in order to get to the retail version of it. Overall there are 336 parts you need to get, but now you can mix fun and advanced education.

The price tag for this difference in Germany is around € 168.15 (incl. Tax & shipping), but now you can enjoy best of both worlds. Order parts at https://service.lego...parts#BasicInfo

Only the V-BELT Ø 24, RED (4544143) was out of stock. The rest I was able to order.

Here comes the list:

https://docs.google....hu4k/edit?pli=1

Let me know whether you have any comments.

Let me know whether you have any comments.

I think most of us are only interested in the Sensors and some of the special parts, not the common liftarms, axles, etc.

But thanks anyway :wink:

Where can one buy IR proximity sensor and beacon? I have not found them anywhere :(

Are they going to be available via S@H like servos are?

Edited by peter_m