Kintobor

Heroica RPG- Quest #78: As Thick As Thieves

Elgar stumbled when he saw the Hinckwell guards. So the Hinckwells were behind this, this is going to be tougher than he thought it was going to be.

"The grated opening at the west end sounds brilliant, we better be quick though."

Hinckwells. This was going to be a lot harder then expected... unless, of course, they were posers. Even then, though. I let out a silent sigh and drink a Mead, Nostrum, and Smelling Salts.

"Lead the way, party leader." I whisper.

Edited by Endgame

"I am surprised it is the Hinckwells though, all the evidence seemed to point towards the Wolfgang, at first I thought the Wolfgang just wanted to get revenge on Abbot because he snitched on them, and I hoped it was just that and they weren't after the potion. Imagine what the Hinckwells could do with their money and their power."

-The Party-

ava-em.jpg

Name: Unknown. Most call him "Em," though his real name remains largely mysterious. -Party Leader-

Unknown age male human ranger

Level 13

Power: 21

Health: 18/18

Gold: 135

Equipment: Aquabow (WP: 7, Water-elemental), Ranger's Quiver (+1 WP to all Bows/Crossbows), Syndicate Cowl (SP: 2, Immune to Doomed effect)

Inventory:

Consumables: Smoke bomb, Grating Stone x2, Nostrum x2, Potion x4, Remedy x4, , Venom, Ice Bomb, Grand Potion, Mead x2,

Equipment: White Marksman's Hat - (â…™ chance of Assassination vs. Flying monsters; Headwear), Gentleman's Hat (SP: 1, suitable for men, headgear. The wearer has a 1/2 chance to not be affected by Asleep.), Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Bow(WP:5)

8605602704_4e09abb709_t.jpg

69 year old male gnome Cleric *Encouraged and Hastened*

Level: 11

Power: 17 (11 + 5 + permanent boost of 1)

SP: 3

Health: 19/19 (9+10)

Ether: 13/15 (5+10)

Gold: 0

Equipment: Knotted Broom (WP: 5), Tricorne (suitable for anyone, SP: 3, headwear)

Inventory: Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Sleep, Tonic, Remedy x2, Potion x2, Bone x2, Grand Potion, Bunch of Cherries (10/10 cherries that each restore 1 ether when eaten, up to the user to choose how many are eaten at a time), Chaotic Bomb (Causes 100 random elemental damage to all opponents), Bedroll.

V916GDK.jpgSorrow(Endgame)

428 years old undead Assassin

Level 23 1/3 *Immune to Light and Blinded* *Encouraged, Hastened, and Lucky*

Power Bonus: +1

Defense: 6

Health: 34/34 (7+21+5)

Gold: 764

Equipment: Mockthril Longbow (WP: 27 Ice and Darkness Elemental), Sticky Gloves (Increases the amount of gold stolen by 50% (rounded up), suitable for rogues and beast warriors; handwear),Night’s Helmet (SP:6, immunity to light and blinded; headwear)

Inventory: Longsword (WP: 5), Armor of the Croise (SP: 1, +2 power; bodywear), Dark Cloak (Backwear, SP:1, Max Health +1, Power +1, suitable for rogues and barbarians), Archer's Hat (Artifact, headwear, Power +1, suitable for Rangers and their Advanced Classes), Grand Potion x6, Health Core, Tonic, Ether Core, Remedy x5, Phoenix Essence x3, Venom x2, Deadly Venom, Mead x6, Smelling Salts x6, Nostrum x6, Dragon Scale x1, Chaotic Bomb (Causes 100 random elemental damage to all opponents), Bedroll, Neutralizer, Disguise Kit (Accessory. Usable by anyone. Allows the user to disguise them self as the opposite gender.)

rsz_1elgar.jpg

Elgar Gligin (played by Jedi master Brick)

Level 23.66 Druid *Immune to Fragile!*

Power: 33

Health: 37/37

Ether: 23/23

Gold:286

Equipment: Mockthril Crossbow (WP:11 Permanently Deadly envenomed), Chainmail (SP: 2, Bodywear: half damage from Fire elemental enemies and double from Electric elemental enemies) Emerald Hood (SP: 4, headwear, protects from Fragile)

Inventory: Fauxthril Longbow (WP: 5),Smoke Bomb, Bedroll, Emerald, Sapphire, Topaz,,Opal, Aquamarine, Spade, Pickaxe, 3 Potions, Changes user's appearance into an Elf), Needlessly Large Rod (Non-Artifact Item, Curses a random enemy. Usable once per battle.) Does not prevent free hits. Grand Potion (x2), Fireworks, Remedy (x2), , mead, Hide of The Regret (halves damage from undead; suitable for anyone, backwear), Tonic, Grand tonic (x5)

The part prepares themselves for what could potentially await them inside the prison, they make there way around and to the side of the prison. The party can see it as they quietly trudge along the beach and into water that goes up to their knees, for the gnome, up to his waist.

9451071383_aaa479a896_o.jpg

Approaching the grated entrance, the party realizes that the grate covering their only way in to the prison stealthily has rusted over time.

"Shall we just try and pull it off, what could possibly go wrong."

Elgar moves forward and grasps onto the grate, pulling on it with all of his might to no avail. Looking at the grate, the hinges which it swings open on and it's deadbolt lock have been rusted as well.

QM Note: Although, I am impressed you tried the most simple solution first. :thumbup:

Edited by Kintobor

Readying himself, Elgar strikes the rusted hinges. He strikes them again. On the third try, the pickaxe breaks the hinges and the grate falls into the water. The party could now enter the Resigore Prison. Would they be prepared for what potentially lay ahead? There was only one way to find out...

"Let's go," Em whispers, leading the way into the prison. He steadily draws his bow, nervous about what lies ahead.

Edited by emjajoas

"Time is wasting, fellows. Into the breach."

"Ugh, this water's freezin'! It's all up me britches!

Let's get outta here and into the Prison already..."

"Freezing? It feels divine."

Then again, undeads do worship Helvetia the Frostheart, so... Maybe chilly isn't up everyone's alley.

Edited by Endgame

-The Party-

ava-em.jpg

Name: Unknown. Most call him "Em," though his real name remains largely mysterious. -Party Leader-

Unknown age male human ranger

Level 13

Power: 21

Health: 18/18

Gold: 135

Equipment: Aquabow (WP: 7, Water-elemental), Ranger's Quiver (+1 WP to all Bows/Crossbows), Syndicate Cowl (SP: 2, Immune to Doomed effect)

Inventory:

Consumables: Smoke bomb, Grating Stone x2, Nostrum x2, Potion x4, Remedy x4, , Venom, Ice Bomb, Grand Potion, Mead x2,

Equipment: White Marksman's Hat - (â…™ chance of Assassination vs. Flying monsters; Headwear), Gentleman's Hat (SP: 1, suitable for men, headgear. The wearer has a 1/2 chance to not be affected by Asleep.), Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Bow(WP:5)

8605602704_4e09abb709_t.jpg

69 year old male gnome Cleric *Encouraged and Hastened*

Level: 11

Power: 17 (11 + 5 + permanent boost of 1)

SP: 3

Health: 19/19 (9+10)

Ether: 13/15 (5+10)

Gold: 0

Equipment: Knotted Broom (WP: 5), Tricorne (suitable for anyone, SP: 3, headwear)

Inventory: Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Sleep, Tonic, Remedy x2, Potion x2, Bone x2, Grand Potion, Bunch of Cherries (10/10 cherries that each restore 1 ether when eaten, up to the user to choose how many are eaten at a time), Chaotic Bomb (Causes 100 random elemental damage to all opponents), Bedroll.

V916GDK.jpgSorrow(Endgame)

428 years old undead Assassin

Level 23 1/3 *Immune to Light and Blinded* *Encouraged, Hastened, and Lucky*

Power Bonus: +1

Health: 34/34 (7+21+5)

Gold: 764

Equipment: Mockthril Longbow (WP: 27 Ice and Darkness Elemental), Sticky Gloves (Increases the amount of gold stolen by 50% (rounded up), suitable for rogues and beast warriors; handwear),Night’s Helmet (SP:6, immunity to light and blinded; headwear)

Inventory: Longsword (WP: 5), Armor of the Croise (SP: 1, +2 power; bodywear), Dark Cloak (Backwear, SP:1, Max Health +1, Power +1, suitable for rogues and barbarians), Archer's Hat (Artifact, headwear, Power +1, suitable for Rangers and their Advanced Classes), Grand Potion x6, Health Core, Tonic, Ether Core, Remedy x5, Phoenix Essence x3, Venom x2, Deadly Venom, Mead x6, Smelling Salts x6, Nostrum x6, Dragon Scale x1, Chaotic Bomb (Causes 100 random elemental damage to all opponents), Bedroll, Neutralizer, Disguise Kit (Accessory. Usable by anyone. Allows the user to disguise them self as the opposite gender.)

rsz_1elgar.jpg

Elgar Gligin (played by Jedi master Brick)

Level 23.66 Druid *Immune to Fragile!*

Power: 33

Health: 37/37

Ether: 23/23

Gold:286

Equipment: Mockthril Crossbow (WP:11 Permanently Deadly envenomed), Chainmail (SP: 2, Bodywear: half damage from Fire elemental enemies and double from Electric elemental enemies) Emerald Hood (SP: 4, headwear, protects from Fragile)

Inventory: Fauxthril Longbow (WP: 5),Smoke Bomb, Bedroll, Emerald, Sapphire, Topaz,,Opal, Aquamarine, Spade, Pickaxe, 3 Potions, Changes user's appearance into an Elf), Needlessly Large Rod (Non-Artifact Item, Curses a random enemy. Usable once per battle.) Does not prevent free hits. Grand Potion (x2), Fireworks, Remedy (x2), , mead, Hide of The Regret (halves damage from undead; suitable for anyone, backwear), Tonic, Grand tonic (x5)

The party squeezes into the small opening, only to find themselves still wading in water. The grate was blocking off an entrance to what looked like a sewer. Trudging through the chilly sea water, the party doesn't get far before they can hear fast approaching voices ahead.

"Keep moving! We don't have all day! The captain will arrive with the commodore by tomorrow morning, and he wants this entrance sealed!"

The light from a torch can be seen as a group of men round the corner on the walkway noticing the party. A gruff, bearded man makes his way to the front of the small band of men, his torch illuminating the party. He sneers.

9460380400_3ded34872f_o.jpg

9457598317_c3939b17a0_o.jpg

"Well, well, look what's sneaking about, sewer rats, in from the cold! And what else have we here? An undead abomination? Typical. State yourselves! Who are you, and why are you here?"

"We are lost travellers looking for somewhere to shelter, we decided to hide in here because we heard some people have been take hostage recently."

The man scoffs, obviously amused by Elgar's statement.

"Really? Then perhaps might I acquire why you're group are holding weapons, and are armed to the teeth with potions, tonics, and bombs? Perhaps you are travelers out on the road. Why didn't you come to the front gate and ask? Certainly trudging about the sewers is a lot colder than sitting around a fire upstairs with company? That's not to say we would let you in, but it would be less suspicious than sneaking about the sewers, wouldn't you agree? I want answers, now!"

"Armed men aren't exactly the most trustworthy nor inviting folk," Em chirps. "I'm sure you feel the same."

"We thought this place was abandoned, so we decided to hide down here and we are armed as a precaution and the rest of our stuff is what we hope to sell when we get into town."

I stand silent, waiting to see which way this would swing. The excuse itself was pathetic, but these didn't look like scholars.

I have the gut feeling at least one of these men are dying at my hands in the next few minutes.

"Armed men aren't exactly the most trustworthy nor inviting folk," Em chirps. "I'm sure you feel the same."

"We thought this place was abandoned, so we decided to hide down here and we are armed as a precaution and the rest of our stuff is what we hope to sell when we get into town."

"Curious, how both of your statements manage to contradict each other. So one of you saw armed men, the other didn't and claims the place was abandoned, no? My patience is running thin, and if you won't give me answers, I will force them out of you."

The man is clearly losing his patience. You can see the other guards with him tighten their grip on their weapons.

Enough of this farce.

"I find it quite odd that you never denied the kidnappings, sir." I state with an unmistakable edge.

Edited by Endgame

Enough of this farce.

"I find it quite odd that you never denied the kidnappings, sir." I state with an unmistakable edge.

The man chuckles.

"So, our undead creature finally speaks up? I'm surprised your heathen goddess is capable to producing such things, even if they are a trifled old bags of bones. Who said we denied kidnapping? We don't know of any such kidnappings, and if we did, why should we tell you? As far as I'm concerned, you and your lot, undead, are nothing but vermin, an unholy splotch on the divinity and purity of this world!"

By the end of his winded rant, the man has a gleam of hatred in his eyes, and a snarl that would frighten the likes of anyone.

The man chuckles.

"So, our undead creature finally speaks up? I'm surprised your heathen goddess is capable to producing such things, even if they are a trifled old bags of bones. Who said we denied kidnapping? We don't know of any such kidnappings, and if we did, why should we tell you? As far as I'm concerned, you and your lot, undead, are nothing but vermin, an unholy splotch on the divinity and purity of this world!"

By the end of his winded rant, the man has a gleam of hatred in his eyes, and a snarl that would frighten the likes of anyone.

I simply yawn. I could tell that the other party members were at least slightly fazed, but I have been dealing with people like these for four centuries. At one point in your life it just kind of rolls off your back.

"Yes, sir, you didn't deny the fact they were hostages here. You are exactly right. Bit of a slip, I see? And calm down with the snarl, my good man, you're only going to give yourself a coronary. And after what you've said about Helvetia, you may want to postpone your meeting with her for as long as possible. She doesn't take well to scum like you."

I expertly whip out my bow, pointing it straight at the gentleman.

"It will only take 2 shots to kill you with this bow. Perhaps three. Now, talk, sir, or I'm afraid you'll be seeing my goddess sooner rather than later."