Kintobor

Heroica RPG- Quest #78: As Thick As Thieves

Hopefully my skeleton doesn't creak... I might as well step on a twig and blare and air horn. Despite my better judgement...

"Alright, I'll do some eavesdropping."

First, I try placing my ear on the door to make out any sound.

Edited by Endgame

Carefully making his way to the front door, Sorrow places an ear on the door. It sounds like two individuals in light conversation.

"Do you know the next house we're stopping at?"

"The entire street."

"Well, which door would you like to start at?"

"I don't know, you pick. The quicker we're off the street, the better, what with the disappearances and all."

"Well we wouldn't be out on the street if you knew the difference between..."

"Alright, I think I got the point."

"They appear to be searching the neighborhood..."

I continue to listen, stepping out the door to stalk them if they start moving away.

Sorrow peaks open the door and notices the two men now standing outside the door.

9402378097_5c69b251ec_o.jpg

9352155003_0d3cd38ce6_o.jpg

"You know, I think there's no one in this house."

9354928058_db2eed813b_o.jpg

"Perhaps not, but you should still knock."

"Me? Why me? You knock. It could be that kidnapper."

"No, you knock. That's precisely the reason why you're knocking."

9354928058_db2eed813b_o.jpg9352155003_0d3cd38ce6_o.jpg

"Fine. We'll both knock."

The two men turn around to see Sorrow crouching in the door way. They both give a puzzled look before opening there briefcases full of various supplies.

"Good evening sir, my name's Jacob, and this is...

"Christian, and we are door-to-door salesman nonpareil. Can we interest you in some items?"

The two men seem legit, with their briefcases shoved full of various items.

Christian and Jacob, Door-To-Door Salesman Nonpareil

9357540223_2f42d364ca_o.jpgDisguise Kit: (Accessory. Usable by anyone. Allows the user to disguise them self as the opposite gender.) Costs 90 gold. 1 in stock.

heroica-potion.jpgPotion – Restores 10 health to the target. Costs 5 gold. 2 in stock

heroica-tonic.jpgTonic – Restores 5 ether to the target. Costs 15 gold. 2 in stock

heroica-remedy.jpgRemedy – Removes all negative effects from the target. Costs 10 gold. 2 in stock

"Excuse me, I overheard you talking about a kidnapper, can you tell us anything about this kidnapper?"

"You don't know about the kidnappings? Well... um... seeing as how my... business associate and myself have made very few sales this evening (with the exception of that other disguise kit...), perhaps if you, say, purchased some of our wares or even paid us some money we'd be more than willing to loosen our lips about the rumor mill."

Jacob nudges Christian in the ribs.

"Jacob's right, our customer benefits are far better than any other company, I can assure you. I'll have you know, that as salesmen, we hear more rumors than most people get in a week, so if you want to hear what the town's talking about, you best ask us."

Edited by Kintobor

I produce 90 gold from my cloak, holding it towards the two men. This may be a very bad choice - the item, not the vendor. Maybe both, actually.

"The disguise kit and some info, please."

ava-em.jpg

Name: Unknown. Most call him "Em," though his real name remains largely mysterious. -Party Leader-

Unknown age male human ranger

Level 13

Power: 21

Health: 18/18

Gold: 135

Equipment: Aquabow (WP: 7, Water-elemental), Ranger's Quiver (+1 WP to all Bows/Crossbows), Syndicate Cowl (SP: 2, Immune to Doomed effect)

Inventory:

Consumables: Smoke bomb, Grating Stone x2, Nostrum x2, Potion x4, Remedy x4, , Venom, Ice Bomb, Grand Potion, Mead x2,

Equipment: White Marksman's Hat - (â…™ chance of Assassination vs. Flying monsters; Headwear), Gentleman's Hat (SP: 1, suitable for men, headgear. The wearer has a 1/2 chance to not be affected by Asleep.), Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Bow(WP:5)

8605602704_4e09abb709_t.jpg

69 year old male gnome Cleric

Level: 11

Power: 17 (11 + 5 + permanent boost of 1)

SP: 3

Health: 19/19 (9+10)

Ether: 13/15 (5+10)

Gold: 0

Equipment: Knotted Broom (WP: 5), Tricorne (suitable for anyone, SP: 3, headwear)

Inventory: Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Sleep, Mead, Smelling Salts, Tonic, Remedy x2, Potion x2, Bone x2, Grand Potion, Bunch of Cherries (10/10 cherries that each restore 1 ether when eaten, up to the user to choose how many are eaten at a time), Chaotic Bomb (Causes 100 random elemental damage to all opponents), Bedroll.

V916GDK.jpgSorrow(Endgame)

428 years old undead Assassin

Level 23 1/3 *Immune to Light and Blinded*

Power Bonus: +1

Defense: 6

Health: 34/34 (7+21+5)

Gold: 764

Equipment: Mockthril Longbow (WP: 27 Ice and Darkness Elemental), Sticky Gloves (Increases the amount of gold stolen by 50% (rounded up), suitable for rogues and beast warriors; handwear),Night’s Helmet (SP:6, immunity to light and blinded; headwear)

Inventory: Longsword (WP: 5), Armor of the Croise (SP: 1, +2 power; bodywear), Dark Cloak (Backwear, SP:1, Max Health +1, Power +1, suitable for rogues and barbarians), Archer's Hat (Artifact, headwear, Power +1, suitable for Rangers and their Advanced Classes), Grand Potion x6, Health Core, Tonic, Ether Core, Remedy x5, Phoenix Essence x3, Venom x2, Deadly Venom, Mead x7, Smelling Salts x7, Nostrum x7, Dragon Scale x1, Chaotic Bomb (Causes 100 random elemental damage to all opponents), Bedroll, Neutralizer, Disguise Kit (Accessory. Usable by anyone. Allows the user to disguise them self as the opposite gender.)

rsz_1elgar.jpg

Elgar Gligin (played by Jedi master Brick)

Level 23.66 Druid *Immune to Fragile!*

Power: 33

Defense: 6

Health: 37/37

Ether: 23/23

Gold:286

Equipment: Mockthril Crossbow (WP:11 Permanently Deadly envenomed), Chainmail (SP: 2, Bodywear: half damage from Fire elemental enemies and double from Electric elemental enemies) Emerald Hood (SP: 4, headwear, protects from Fragile)

Inventory: Fauxthril Longbow (WP: 5),Smoke Bomb, Bedroll, Emerald, Sapphire, Topaz,,Opal, Aquamarine, Spade, Pickaxe, 3 Potions, Changes user's appearance into an Elf), Needlessly Large Rod (Non-Artifact Item, Curses a random enemy. Usable once per battle.) Does not prevent free hits. Grand Potion (x2), Fireworks, Remedy (x2), , mead, Hide of The Regret (halves damage from undead; suitable for anyone, backwear), Tonic, Grand tonic (x5)

Christian and Jacob begin pocketing the gold and swiftly handing items out.

"Wow, wow! Alright, this should be more than enough! Okay, we'll tell you what we know. Apparently, some shady group of individuals have purchased a run down building on the coast of Uland, in Eubric Bay, just a two hour's walk from Eubric, the Resigore Prison. What makes the purchase bizarre is that there have been reports of people going missing since the prison was purchased about a month ago. Notable names include Connor Etifried, a mage who happened to have close ties to the Ziegfrieds, and Lydia Corenell, a Lion knight known for her brutal battle style and no nonsense attitude. So far, seven people have gone missing in this style, most either accomplished knights, or members of the Guild of Invision.

"Apparently, the latest person to disappear, Costello Watt, was last seen dragged out of his house in the middle of the night six days ago by two robed men and thrown into a cart."

"Wherever this "Costello" lives. He was apparently a Guild of Invision member too. However, this is probably not connect at all. Just a coincidence."

"That's what we've heard involving the disappearances. Anything else you want off us before we continue on our way? We may make our quota tonight, Christian!"

"Indeed we may!"

Edited by Kintobor

"Thank you," Em replies to the salesmen, crossing his arms.

It was something to go on. Em felt tension building in his chest; An old prison would not easily be breached. He waited for his other party members to conclude their business before speaking up. "Shall we go?"

My hood conceals it, but my face goes sour; the grave tone in my voice makes it obvious.

"So we have kindappers, wolfgang, a prison, and drugs that can brainwash people into completely different individuals. The worst case scenario is pretty obvious at this point. Let's go before it occurs."

I'm not sure where LordoftheNoobs went, so for now, all his actions will be controlled by the party leader. As well, I apologize for the lack of an update today, I was busy doing some work for my grandparents.

"Well lads, looks like we'll be off, plenty of things to sell!"

"Agreed. Shall we leave, Christian?"

"Lets. The last thing we need is to get kidnapped or worse, caught loitering on the job."

The two men begin to walk down the road, conversing among themselves, eventually disappearing into the night. The party knowing where they have to go head for the city limits, and to their new destination, the Resigore Prison. The only question was: would they be prepared for what could possibly be behind Costello's and potentially numerous other disappearances?

I'll allow you guys to roleplay the walk to the prison for a little bit, as I have a few sets to build. Things are about to get interesting...

Edited by Kintobor

"What's our plan?" Em inquires, glancing between his party members. "We can't rush into a prison, abandoned or not."

I look down at the small case in my hands, my pockets 90 gold lighter. I dreaded putting this thing on, but... Would it be worth it? Or would I just make an absolute fool of myself?

"What do you think, guys? Is using the disguise kit a good idea?"

"Hmmm... Well, I reckon it might if we come across an easily-fooled guard or something cliché like that" Grimwald chuckled. "But who knows, it could come in handy somehow... er, I just can't think how at the moment."

Sorrow cautiously opened the disguise kit, expecting the worst. Inside he found a few different items to pass as the opposite gender, including a wig, and a flyer inside.

Congratulations on your purchase of the Kelvin Bros. Disguise Kit! Inside you will find everything you need to disguise yourself as the opposite gender! All items included are of theatrical quality, meaning top of the line, professional items! Also include is our theatrical quality wig which will change color and length to match your desired haircut. Perfect for espionage and theater troupes!

Note- does not come supplied with outfits or cosmetics.

I raise an eyebrow.

"Theatrical kit, huh? Not the worst case scenario for whaty I thought was in here, anyway... Think I should don it, fellows?"

Please say no please say no please say no.

...They're going to say yes, aren't they?

Elgar chuckled at the though of Sorrow in a wig before saying

"Unless we are going to get in to the prison by getting all the kidnappers to drop down to the floor laughing the only thing the kit is going to do is draw attention to us, which is not something we want."

"Unfortunately, Wolfgang is more inclined to listen to and spare the women - well, their lives, at any rate. For all of the wrong reasons, of course."

Edited by Endgame

The walk was longer than expected. At least three hours later, partially through the Eubric Forest, and following a rundown, unused road, the party finally gets a look at their destination, the Resigore Prison. The front entrance sat in the sand, with the East section of the prison looking in shambles, even from a distance. The West end went slightly into the ocean, the waves lapping against the walls. As the sun sets into the sky, the party can see lights flickering within the prison and outside the outer walls, getting closer to a small bank, the party can get close enough to the entrance without being spotted. A horse drawn carriage idly waits in front of the prison as two guards stand watch.

9354933342_ca7af2b98e_o.jpg

As the party watches, the doors swing open as two men walk out, one clad in robes, the other in Hinckwell uniform. The two guards salute as they walk out. The hooded man had a thick accent, while the official looking man had a sense of authority and power in his voice. He looked quite young, most likely in his mid twenties, and despite the aggressiveness in his voice, it had a sense of youth to it.

9352158519_e1e0004b75_o.jpg

9354927832_1cca06a7e9_o.jpg

"You know precisely what went wrong! You left a mess! When you claimed to be one of the best men in your profession I expected it! And now apparently you left "a mess"? Intolerable!"

9354928942_f14de581eb_o.jpg

"Sir, it was unforeseeable. The alchemist put up much more of a fight than we expected."

"You seemed to be doing well without your assistant, Gustav, why is it now that when you have one your abilities become stunted? Are they holding you back? You do know that when people screw up, the commodore gets less than thrilled? I want this mistake wiped clean. You know what to do. Head to the alchemist's house and set it ablaze. Make it look like an accident, and ensure the fire doesn't spread!"

"Of course sir."

"I'm heading into Eubric to run some errands and to fetch the commodore. I want the alchemist's house burnt to the ground by tonight! As well, inform the men that I want that grated opening by the West end closed, and tell the men to keep an eye on our little experiment. The commodore wants to be present when we reveal our findings, and I want it to go off without a hitch! I will be back by early tomorrow. That house better be burnt Gustav, or else."

"Very well sir, do take care."

The Hinckwell official turns on his heel and climbs into the carriage. As soon as he's in the driver whips the reigns and the horse quickly make their leaving, heading back down the road. Gustav watches and makes his way back into the prison, the guards closing the door behind him.

What will the party do?

"Sounds like we might be able to get in through a grate on the west end," Em whispers to the party. "What do you want to do?"