Kintobor

Heroica RPG- Quest #78: As Thick As Thieves

The Gnome inspects the barrels by the door. They both appear to be commercially available alchemy ingredients. One barrel is labeled "Baby Blue Sapphires (20 per barrel), the other "Preserved Newts (10 Jars of newts)". A postal notice on one of the crates dates back six days ago.

Em nods, placing a hand on the door. "Ready?" he asks, glancing between his party members.

Not even getting a chance to stabilize himself, the door creaks open as Em's hand presses against it. It appears to have been forced open. Looking down the hallway into the dark house, a single light illuminates the end of the hall leading into another room. A noxious smell wafts out of the house. Proceeding forward, the party comes across a disturbing sight.

9358680493_40fc80fd9b_o.jpg

What must have been Costello's lab has been turned upside down. Pieces of glass sprawl about the floor, making it difficult for the party to move without the potential to have glass shoved up their feet. With different potions and powders intermingle with one another, it's a miracle the house hasn't blown up yet.

OOC: You can still explore the front of the building if you so wish, I just want to give you guys some more exploration options.

Edited by Kintobor

"Well, if this isn't a sign of struggle, I don't know what is."

I kneel down, examining the red substance.

"What do you fellows make of this?"

"Someone was looking for something in a rush, perhaps? Definitely not Costello, though." Em inquires, thinking aloud. He kneels down, squinting at the damage and mess, looking for some sort of footprint, handprint, or other distinguishing marks or stains.

"If they were in a rush, perhaps they didn't cover up their tracks..."

Edited by emjajoas

"Well, if this isn't a sign of struggle, I don't know what is."

I kneel down, examining the red substance.

"What do you fellows make of this?"

The red substance appears to have spilled off the bookshelf and onto the floor, drenching most of the immediate area after impact. Examining the substance, it doesn't have the same density as blood.

"Someone was looking for something in a rush, perhaps? Definitely not Costello, though." Em inquires, thinking aloud. He kneels down, squinting at the damage and mess, looking for some sort of footprint, handprint, or other distinguishing marks or stains.

"If they were in a rush, perhaps they didn't cover up their tracks..."

Looking about, Em can distinguish three different sets of footprints. Two muddy footprints lead into the room, however, three pairs lead out, one of which appeared to be struggling. The mud has turned dry, as if it has been here for a while. The mess between the table and work space appears to be a combination of various chemicals spilled from broken glass containers and various bits of lab equipment, most likely forced off during a struggle. A lone book sits drenched in the mess, it's dark tan cover surprisingly intact. The title of the book is "The Alchemist's Handbook: Volume Four- Theories Behind Creating Thought Reading, Altering, and Erasing Elixirs". The book has many notes protruding out of it, and despite sitting in a puddle of chemicals, it appears to be in a rather readable state still.

"Someone was looking for something in a rush, perhaps? Definitely not Costello, though."

My eyes are still locked to the floor as I respond to the party leader.

"It seems we were both correct, Mr... Em, correct?

What does the book say, Grimwald?"

Thought Reading? Mind Erasing? Mind Altering? No wonder this guy was laid off.

Grimwald carefully makes his way around the spillages and inspects the book and it's contents.

Grimwald make his way around and carefully picks the thick book up, shaking off any liquids inside. Grimwald flicks through the various pages inside only to find various complicated formulas and definitions, as well as diagrams of various methods. Notes have been scribbled about the book, but one bookmarked page catches Grimwald's eye.

...It would come as a surprise to you perhaps to learn that no one has truly perfected this type of concoction before. Many individuals have claimed to have discovered ways to make an individual susceptible to another's will, but that is not the case as of this books publication, as those claims turned false when the test subject reverted to their normal state a few days later. The most amount of time one has been able to keep an individual in one such state is one month and five days by Dr. Horace Grundy. As well, the nature of said potions are often finicky. Exact measurements can mean the difference between an individual retaining their former personally and the brewer simply changing a single decision for them, and an individual becoming what some would consider a thrall, or a slave. One individual who attempted to convert a group of outlaws to protectors of a town managed to do so without damaging their personalities. However, the elixirs and brews found within this book can, depending on the purpose and region, be considered taboo. However, often such liquids, once brewed, can be used to numb pain during medical treatment and gain information from authority figures. Consider your employer before you begin to brew for them...

The rest of the book is nothing more than diagrams and long winded text on the creation and procedures used to create various potions in altering ones feelings, thoughts, and susceptibility.

Edited by Kintobor

"Hmm... Well lads, most of its just all these formulas 'n' things that I can't make 'eads nor tails of..... Hello, what's this here? ...Oh my, there's a page 'ere that's talkin' aboot makin' people 'susceptible to yer will', an' stoof like tha'."

"Em is correct."

Pausing and running a hand through his hair, Em sighs. This was all too familiar. 'Suscpetible to your will...'

He dreaded having another Harvester around. Though he appreciated the weapon itself, he feared those who wielded such power. Too many maniacs seemed to reside in Eubric, and that kind of power was...

"Wolfgang?" Em mutters under his breath, brow furrowed. He didn't like the sound of that. If his suspicions were correct-- Well, he hoped it didn't come to that.

"We need to find Costello. Where do the footprints lead?" he asks, cold, as he inspects the footprints to try to gauge their destination.

"We need to find Costello. Where do the footprints lead?" he asks, cold, as he inspects the footprints to try to gauge their destination.

Looking about, Em deduces that the two individuals dragged a resisting individual through the house and out the front door. However, Em can't deduce where they went from there, since the road outside is thick with fresh boot prints and wagon tracks.

I look on in disgust at the book.

"I'm beginning to dislike Mr. Watt's sibling, to put it very lightly. He's walking down a slippery slope - either that, or he has already fallen off the edge."

My glance shifts to our party leader.

"Have any experience with things like this, Em? You look worried."

Edited by Endgame

"I agree, Mr. Sorrow, I would wager that the brighter deserved to get the sack... that being said, this has 'Wolfgang' written all over it. Those buggers'd love to try an' take over Eubric's citizens minds like they did with the House members, I'm sure if it..."

Elgar opens the letter on the table and reads it.

Elgar makes his way over to the table and picks up the letter.

9361458780_5e893e3afc_o.jpg

Opening it, it appears to be written from Costello to Abbot.

My Brother, Abbot,

I thank you for your concern over me, however knowing how much you worry, there's nothing to fret about. My research into finally creating a brew that could reform the more harden criminals of Eubric has almost come to fruition, so despite your offer, I will not be moving in at your request. The move would take at least a month. I'll also have you know that the Metasimian ale dilution process has a few bugs in it, since you've been so curious about it. On one final note, I haven't decided on a name for my elixir. Any ideas? Best of luck with your job. Tell mother I said hello.

-Costello

Em pauses, glancing between his party members. What should he tell them? What could he tell them?

"Experience... Yes." He sighs. Pinching the bridge of his nose, Em shook his head. "Shall we move further into the house?"

Wolfgang taking over people's minds... Why did Em always get involved in these things? He hadn't a doubt that the Wolfgang would use the elixir for wanton destruction-- or any weapon it was implemented into.

Wolfgang. It always came back to Wolfgang.

"it seems like I've done nothing but hunt the Wolfgang these days...

Any experience you have with these chemicals could save lives, Em. We should arm ourselves with as much knowledge as possible before we wander into a building heroes, and come out Wolfgang."

"I'm not sure I can explain, other than I've had a run-in with someone who used a weapon meant to do the same thing. He was an enemy to the Wolfgang; I'm afraid they might've taken inspiration from his exploits."

Em shakes his head.

"Checking the rest of the house seems like a solid idea, Elgar."

Deciding it would be best to search the rest of Costello's house, the party look about the place. Much to their surprise, the two story building was rather small. The kitchen and dining room were opposite of a parlor room in the entrance hall, with the laboratory at the end of it. A set of stairs led up to a small washroom and bedroom, as well as a small library, which is stocked with books on varying subjects. Despite the small house size, the furniture is well kept, and it seemed as if Costello had good living conditions. The party doesn't find any evidence to help in finding Costello. Coming back downstairs, the party can hear a conversation going on outside Costello's house.

OOC: In other words, the evidence is all in the laboratory. :wink: