Kintobor

Heroica RPG- Quest #78: As Thick As Thieves

9336893385_2896ed4238_o.jpg

"If she's not finished with Abbot, allow her to do her job. Otherwise, Abbot's all yours. Just follow the noise and you should find them."

Paolo moves out of the way as the party enters the house and through the upstairs to where they can hear more arguing between two individuals.

"I assure Lieutenant, I am not involved with any illegal activities down in the sewers."

"That may be so, Abbot, but that doesn't give you the right to illegally enter a section of the sewers blocked off for numerous reasons! Hand the key over now, and the worst I can give you is a fine!"

Opening the door, the Town Watch official spurs around and looks over the party, particularly Em. The man in the back begins to rummage through various things on the table beside him.

9339679278_bd1d9439c8_o.jpg

8702483077_952ae62423_o.jpg

"If you insist Lilith. Ah, gentleman... how nice of you to join us."

9339700774_732a79d1cd_o.jpg

"Heroica, I take it? Allow me to make this quick, since I have more important affairs to deal with than to confiscate things. I'm Lieutenant Lilith. I'm going to assume Abbot hired you for something? I'm also going to assume Paolo, the blabber mouth that he is, already filled you in on why I'm here, so if you'd allow me and Abbot to finish up, you may speak with him after."

"Yes, allow us to finish up. This won't take long."

While rummaging about the table, Abbot's body language appears tense and stressed, almost panicky.

Is there anything the party would like to say before Lilith and Abbot continue?

Em silently watches the two and gives the room a brief glance, looking for anything out of the ordinary.

Edited by emjajoas

I lean back and listen to Abbot and Lilith's conversation.

"Alright, let's finish this up. Abbot, the key?"

"Yes, it's right here."

Abbot retrieves a dull key from his pocket, and hesitantly hands it to Lilith. She grasps it in her hand, and then nods.

"You can expect a fine in the mail. I don't know how you got a hold of this key Abbot, but if I find out you somehow got back into the sewers, I assure you it'll be worse than a fine! Now if you don't mind, I'm going to leave. I have enough paper work to last me till Grogmas..."

She begins to walk out of the room, nodding to the heroes as she does so. Not noticing where she's going, she walks into a small display table, nearly toppling a vase. She looks about, rather embarrassed, before making a hasty retreat.

9339678000_7885fdf254_o.jpg

"Well, that was... disappointing... No matter. Sorry for the interruption. My name is Abbot Watt, Professor of History and Archaeology at the Academy of Enlightenment. Now then, I have to bring most of you up to speed on the events that lead into you being here, so please, find a chair and take a seat."

As the party finds chairs to sit down on, Abbot pulls out a large book from a shelf, and begins flipping through noted pages.

"A long time ago, before the founding of Eubric and before the Orc war, the island of Uland was part of the Moon Elf kingdom.

About one thousand years ago, the very site of Eubric was the location of Nu Mercution, the capital of said kingdom. The proud race was known for their worship of Azazot, and is part of the reason why the great kingdom no longer exists. The ruler of the kingdom, Haerasias also known as the Mad King, met his demise after the city was sunk by Ennoc priests along with the surrounding islands. All that remains of said kingdom are Moone and Uland, with the rest of the empire having been sunk into the Crystalinne Sea.

A few weeks ago, the day after the Foundation Day Ball, myself and a group of heroes, one of which was Mr. Gligin, went into the sewers in search of a potential Moon Elf relic beneath the city in the sewers. What we found was something even more spectacular: the vault doors to Haerasias's personal vault. However, the door's are shut tight, and I have no idea how to open it as of now. I believe I have a lead, but it's useless without the assistance of my brother, Costello."

Abbot tosses the heavy book aside and grabs a letter on his desk, holding it in his hand.

"About a week ago, my brother Costello contacted me and claimed he was being tracked by a shadowy individual. Me and my brother both shared an interest in the Moon Elf kingdom as children, and despite myself being more versed in it's history, he can actually read Moon Elf script. I'd call in an actual Moon Elf, except trying to find one is like trying to find proof that Messie exists: it's darn near impossible. That and I fear about my safety since I haven't heard head nor tale of him since then! So, your task is simple. Find my brother, and bring him to me. Only then can we continue with the expedition and figure out what we need to open the vault. Of course, you will be paid the one hundred and fifty gold as I promised, as well as a bottle of Ambrosia. So, is there any questions involving either my brother, the task at hand, or the abridged lecture? Typically that whole spiel is given over two weeks with enough information to make a hand swollen, so I hope you get a grasp as to the archaeological importance here."

Edited by Kintobor

Abbot shakes his head.

"No, I don't. He could be perfectly fine, sitting in his house doing whatever it is he does now, but it's just that I fear based on the contexts of this letter that he's in trouble, especially since all the letters I have written to him since this one haven't been replied to. I would go check on him but... whoever kidnapped Costello could be after me as well, so... that's why I haven't investigated any further."

"But of course! He lives in Eubric, around the Three Gates area. Here it is!"

Abbot begins to scrawl the address on a piece of paper, and then hands it to Em.

"Seeing as how you're party leader, I'll give it to you. The address is 12 Barkley Ave., Three Gates, Eubric. You can't miss his house. It's the only one with black roofing on the street."

ava-em.jpg

Name: Unknown. Most call him "Em," though his real name remains largely mysterious. -Party Leader-

Unknown age male human ranger

Level 13

Power: 21

Health: 18/18

Gold: 155

Equipment: Aquabow (WP: 7, Water-elemental), Ranger's Quiver (+1 WP to all Bows/Crossbows), Syndicate Cowl (SP: 2, Immune to Doomed effect)

Inventory:

Consumables: Smoke bomb, Grating Stone x2, Nostrum x2, Potion x4, Remedy x4, , Venom, Ice Bomb, Grand Potion, Mead x2,

Quest Items: Costello Watt's Address (12 Barkley Ave., Three Gates, Eubric)

Equipment: White Marksman's Hat - (â…™ chance of Assassination vs. Flying monsters; Headwear), Gentleman's Hat (SP: 1, suitable for men, headgear. The wearer has a 1/2 chance to not be affected by Asleep.), Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Bow(WP:5)

"So, it seems one of you is ready to head out. It would be best to get to Eubric before dark. You don't want to run into wolves or highwaymen after dark. It's four thirty as of now, you'd make it to Eubric by five o'clock if you hurried."

OOC: No rush here. When you're ready to leave, simply state so in some manner. Then we can let the fun begin. :devil:

"He was laid off from the Guild of Invision about a year ago. He never went into full detail about it, but since then he's been working on his own mixtures and what not. Even afterwards, he still has respect for the guild. Either that or he's afraid of what they'll do to him if he's caught selling the Guilds's products. Last I heard, he was working on distilling Metasimian ale to make it's alcohol content less strong, but it's effects on the drinker more potent."

Em nods, thinking to himself for a moment.

"Alright," he states simply. "I'm ready to head out when the rest of you are. One last thing, Abbot-- Should either of you find trouble, do you have some sort of hiding spot? Someplace to lay low for a while?"

"No, we don't. There was never a need to hide... until now I suppose..."

"Does your brother have any known enemies, mr. Watt?"

"Well then, we should head to your borther's residence."

"Very well then chaps. Best of luck to you in your search. Do take care."

Abbot leads the heroes out of the mansion and outside where he bids them farewell as they head back into Eubric. The journey to the city's as boring as the first, probably more so due to the lack of action or travelers on the road. After asking about the area, the party manages to locate 12 Barkley Avenue around five fifteen o'clock. The lights appear to be turned off inside the house.

9402378233_d737713fa9_o.jpg

What does the party do?

Edited by Kintobor

My eyes instinctively dart for the torches. I approach them, inspecting them carefully.

"Why in the world would a vacant house have its torches lit..?" I wonder out loud.

The torches have the house number engraved on them, as well as the seal of the company that made them. It appears they were purchased recently, as one of the tags is still on it.

OOC: Crud. Just ignore the lamps, it's an oversight on my part. :laugh: