Sign in to follow this  
Leewan

HoM : Ryan Korsten

Hi guys ! Here's my entry for the Hero or Monster category !

They called me for a mission. Hero Factory was attacked. By strange creatures. Controlled by weird brains. So we were updated, we were given extra armor to protect our cores from those Brain Slugs. When my team and I left the Factory, there were lots of alien creatures fighting Heroes : some were red, some were grey, some were green, some were white... A real army, against us. So we joined the fight, we had to protect the city, and the Factory. We are Heroes ! And suddenly, while I was fighting a spider-like black and golden monster, my chief, Theodore Rodney, called me. His voice seemed far away from me, like an echo, like a voice that came directly from a dream. He yelled "Ryan ! Behind you !" But it was too late.

I felt electricity running through my whole body. I was changing, I felt it. That scared me. What would happen to me ?! I wasn't able to think anymore, my mind was like lost, blank. I didn't knew where I was, who I was, why I was. I saw my arm become red, my sword fused with my hand, and a green organic matter started to cover it. Spikes where emerging from it, that was terribly painful. My back hurt, much more than my arm. Even if I wasn't able to see it, I felt the same transformation was happening to my back. And then I saw my leg become red too. What was going on ? And suddenly, a flash of pain crossed my head. And I felt angry. Terribly angry. Those Heroes... I had to kill them, I had been created for this ! My body was a great tool, it would help me to eliminate the Heroes, and give him the control of the city...

photot10.jpg

I hope you will like it, C&C are welcome ! :)

Some interesting color choices, but I think it all pays off; the trans fluorescent green shells and red bones mimic the Brain look very well, which was a neat design choice.

The rest of the construction is a bit average; it's a standard Hero build, though seeing some simplicity is often as nice as seeing complexity. The custom torso is neat, but it doesn't look like it offers much of an advantage in terms of overall build where a normal Hero Torso could not have accomplished the same job, except for limited waist articulation.

The colors definitely have the most going for them, despite there being a lot, and you made that work to the overall look.

Awesome MOC! I love the asymmetry... the Dark Red and Titanium Metallic armor and Dark Stone Grey bones on the pure side, and the Tr. Fluore. Green armor and Bright Red bones on the "corrupted" side. The beastlike toes and red spikes on the corrupted side truly complete it. It's possible that the large pincer on the corrupted side would fit that side of the body better in Bright Red, as it appeared in the Fire Lord set; then again, perhaps not. It works fine in Titanium Metallic anyway.

It seems like you built a custom skeleton for his torso, which seems to work remarkably well. The BIONICLE helmet is definitely one that works just as well in Hero Factory (it was used in the Drop Ship set for a good reason). The one thing that bothers me is that it's hard to recognize the "brain" when looking at this hero in the main picture. At first glance I thought that Tr. Fluore. Green protrusion from the back was a custom brain, and if it were I'd have been disappointed, since it doesn't really resemble a brain. If the brain could be shifted more towards the center of the back I feel like it could have been more effective. This might also help conceal the custom skeleton more effectively, which would be good since this figure lacks back armor.

Still, a great MOC overall, with an elegant sort of simplicity to its design that feels like it'd fit in quite well with Hero Factory sets! Good luck in the contest!

Thanks for your comments ! :D

The rest of the construction is a bit average; it's a standard Hero build, though seeing some simplicity is often as nice as seeing complexity. The custom torso is neat, but it doesn't look like it offers much of an advantage in terms of overall build where a normal Hero Torso could not have accomplished the same job, except for limited waist articulation.

I really wanted to do a Hero that would look like a Hero. Some entries are very good, but they don't really give a Hero feel (I don't want to offend anyone ;) ), they more give me the impression of a Toa (or a Bionicle MOC) with a Hero Core on its chest. So I chose to make something more simple, with a real Hero feel. But with a custom body because I always prefer custom bodies. ^^

It's possible that the large pincer on the corrupted side would fit that side of the body better in Bright Red, as it appeared in the Fire Lord set; then again, perhaps not. It works fine in Titanium Metallic anyway.

Hum... I don't know, the Titanium Metallic is here to show that this part was originally a weapon. Plus, I don't have Fire Lord. :tongue:

If the brain could be shifted more towards the center of the back I feel like it could have been more effective. This might also help conceal the custom skeleton more effectively, which would be good since this figure lacks back armor.

The Slug is not easy to attach, and I don't think I can come up with a better solution. And the figure lacks back armor because of the Slug, I really wanted the Slug to be as close of the body as possible.

Edited by Leewan