Axle

Is this an ancient Lego town mini bus?

Hello there! So I've had this mini bus pop up in my Lego boxes a few times and began wondering: is this one of those mini buses that came withsome of those early town Lego sets? Perhaps someone can shed some light on this for me... If it was one, how much would it be worth?

2013-06-19_18.19.33.jpg

Axle... please watch who you're calling "ancient".... :wink: lol.....

The 607 VW Bus (as Vincent found in Bricklink)... is indeed the LEGO equivalent of the VW Samba Bus that you found. However the headlights and "indicators" (turn signals) at the front of the image you provided don't look quite like they are the LEGO version of this cast car design.

The LEGO 607 Bus was introduced in 1965, and retired by 1968. It is very desireable in great condition, and command up to $100... more if in mint. There are 8 color combinations (upper/lower portion should always be a different color for LEGO)... and this is one of the possible combinations.

The best way to tell is to check the bottom of the model. This image is from my 2,800 page Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide (1949-90)... and shows what the underside of the 607 should look like.... with all metal wheels and "LEGO" at one end of the underside of the bus. These buses were made by several other 1:87 (HO Scale) cast vehicle makers. LEGO would be among the most valuable of the lot... good luck!! :classic:

7478197280_f56804d3f0_b_d.jpg

Also... here's another image from my collectors guide showing some of the color combinations of the VW Samba Bus (as well as VW Vans and VW Pickups)... the most valuable items in this image are the VW Vans/Pickups with promotional writing on the sides/top. Some of these are worth over 1000 Euros each!! :look: (Images owned by my collector friend Jeroen of the Netherlands.)

5104483764_9b5819c5ed_b_d.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

No, Not a LEGO bus, but i can be a vintage one though from one of the many other 1:87 scale makers out there.

Almost looks like this Wiking:

cache_2436328722.jpg?t=1364765731

It could be a variation of a Brekina:

187800_b.jpg

A clearer picture would help, also a photo of the bottom.

Thanks Modulex Guy... the headlights were my first indication that they were not LEGO... I couldn't tell if the wheels were rubber in that image... all LEGO 1:87 wheels are metal only.

I'll take a picture of the bottom when i'm home this weekend, but i'm now doubting it's Lego cos the wheels aren't metal, they're rubber :( Any ideas if it'd still be worth anything?