Sign in to follow this  
adventuresinlego

Building the "impossible"

So, peoples of the world, as part of this 365 Days of Lego project I'm doing -HERE The main aim is to build to educate the 3yo child I'm raising. (my Nephew) - but my own personal challenge is I'm aiming to try to build "the impossible" - I often ask people on my twitter for ideas and get many standard ones, and many ones that would not only be feasible but most easy to accomplish. But every now and then I'm given a suggestion- or come up with that that makes me think "Nah, that would be impossible!" So then I set out to achieve it.

"Easy Ideas" can be eye-popping and amazing builds, but for the builders, it's all about solving that puzzle!

Whether it's something small like a Rocking Chair, something anthropomorphic like a Cyclops, I'm attracted to ideas that seem unable to be accomplished as I want to show my child that anything IS possible. The Audrey Two plant was one idea I thought would be impossible, same with our Lion King Musical MOC (see below).

I see a lot of MOCs that, through design and execution, make me go "WOAH!" But seldom do I see an IDEA that gives me that reaction. That's not to take away from what people make, because there is some truly amazing artists out there and I fail majorly by comparison, but despite being bad at it, I still give it a crack. That's not to suggest that people aren't building "Impossible Ideas" but that's what brings me here:

2 Questions-

What have been your favourite "Impossible Ideas" - whether you made them or not - link to them if you're able to as I'd love to see them! - Ideas that on paper seem like they could never be made out of Lego but when executed they've taken your breath away?

Also- what "Impossible Ideas" would you suggest we try to build for our 365 Challenge? We've built a wide variety of things so far and have many ideas already, but need more to fill out the year so anything you'd love to challenge us to build, would love to hear it!

An "Impossible Idea" - Lion King Broadway Musical:

tumblr_mo6j9wdWET1r7d758o1_500.jpg

Edited by adventuresinlego

Hi

nice idea - but old :)

When i was a kid (late '70, early '80) Lego asked "name a thing that can not be build with Lego bricks".

One give answer from Lego was "Hamburger". I did my cross at "name something different" and this was the Atomium in Brussels (round, metal, refective and weak construction).

We all know that everything is build today. :) But for sure those are not easy to do.

Dino

Hi

nice idea - but old :)

When i was a kid (late '70, early '80) Lego asked "name a thing that can not be build with Lego bricks".

One give answer from Lego was "Hamburger". I did my cross at "name something different" and this was the Atomium in Brussels (round, metal, refective and weak construction).

I had a look at the Atomium and lo and behold, some brave, clever soul has already made it! HERE

I'm sure Lego have asked a number of times, but that doesn't help challenge us on our quest hahah but the Atomium is an awesome idea, I'm slightly disappointed someone's already tried it and succeeded at it haha

Hi

yes, that is the same Atomium i had in mind. Especialle te small scale make the MOC awsome.

Try something about food, maybe your favourite dinner.

Dino

I always try to depict classical architectural details in LEGO, and sometimes it seems nearly impossible to me. I mean not simplified versions like two slopes for pediment and colums with no real capitals etc., but really detailed versions.

Here are my examples:

7668591202_2509ba4561_n.jpg

1 by GZakky, on Flickr

7848972578_d266752ec6.jpg

Triumphal Arch by GZakky, on Flickr

It will be nice to try to build something with Renaissance dome maybe (even in microscale), or simply a window with lots of architectural details!

I always try to depict classical architectural details in LEGO, and sometimes it seems nearly impossible to me. I mean not simplified versions like two slopes for pediment and colums with no real capitals etc., but really detailed versions.

Your MOCs are awesome and inspiring! The quest here is though to deviate away from your typical buildings, vehicles, dioramas and really stretch the imagination. See below for an example of one of our highly detailed builds!

Most of the Escher stuff has been done already..

https://www.google.c...iw=1366&bih=664

Built an optical illusion out of LEGO. That's a hard one. :wink:

We have been building little optical illusions into our models! The Singin' in the Rain one has one, as well as this Wayne Manor MOC- Can you pick the optical illusion?

tumblr_mokl9kKMUm1r7d758o1_500.jpg

But as for a straight up one? That sounds like it would be fun, but not at all impossible, especially with all the amazing examples!

C'mon people! Surely over the years you've thought "Would love to make a [insertwordhere] out of Lego... Nah, that would be impossible! Not even gonna try" - Well, people, I WANT to try! In other words, I'm a glutton for punishment.

*Cries out weakly for help*