Sign in to follow this  
BlueberryWaffles

LOTR capes?

As a lot of you know, TLG has not been very accurate with LOTR capes. (missing, wrong color...) I wondered what you think is the best capes for everybody.

The questionable characters:

Aragorn

Legolas

Eomer

Pippin

and Gimli.

1) I give the extra red cape from Helm's Deep to Boromir. This is actually its color in the videogame

2) I give Boromir's brown cape to Weathertop Aragorn

3) I called Lego's customer service to get the REAL dark blue cape for 2nd age Elrond (normal, long one). I used the inventory from a Legend of Chima set to get the part number.

4) I then gave his dark blue short cape to Thorin.

Edited by SheepEater

Eomer should not have a caope UNLESS its Aragorns coronation scenes, where he could have a black one.

Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas should have capes in the same color as marry and pippin After galadriel scene.(you could argue they should be grey like Sam's cape, but i feel Sames cape is more grey casue they were traversing the rocks instead of grasslands.

Pippin pre Galadriel shuld have redish brown cape.

As for boromir he should certainly keep the cape lego gave him in the set, red looks so wrong for him.. http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Human/Boromir/Boromir_1013.jpg

I find that brown looks good for Aragorn, dark blue for Gimli, dark green or nothing for Legolas, the olive green capes that Merry and Pippin originally had are fine, Frodo and Sam's grey capes are fine, dark red for Boromir, no cape for Eomer. You can easily swap some of the capes from the dwarves ( Bifur, Bofur and Oin especially ) since they don't really wear capes or cloaks in the film.

After Lorien, Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and Boromir all wear the Lorien cloaks, which I would use as Dark Bluish Grey. The amount of extra Gandalfs put out should help cloth the taller characters.

To my mind, Sand Green would be best colour for the Hobbit's cloaks, pre-Lorien. However, as that colour doesn't exist in cloak form, Olive Green, Dark Green or Light Grey would work best.

Aragon wears a dark cloak up until Lorien. I would say dark green, but really dark brown would do just as well. Aragorn then wears a dark red cloak at the Black Gate.

Legolas wears a brown cloak in Rivendell, but then doesn't wear one until he gets his Lorien cloak.

Gimli wears a dark blue cloak on his arrival in Rivendell, which is not seen again.

Boromir wears a dark red cloak sporadically from his arrival in Rivendell until Lorien.

Gandalf wears a dark grey cloak as Gandalf the Grey, then a white one as Gandalf the White. When he is tricking possessed Theoden, he wears a dark grey cloak as Gandalf the White.

Haldir wears a dark red cloak, Eomer wears a black one at Aragorn's coronation and Theoden wears no cloak at all

Theoden wears no cloak at all

When in armour, he does not, that is true. When he is in his 'usual' garbs though, he sports a fine green cloak with red inner lining. At least in the movies. With Aragorn's new blue and red cloak in the Black Gate set, we may see Theoden's green and red cloak too one day.

http://www.theargonath.cc/characters/theoden/pictures/theodenmiscpics.html

But I don't like the Lego cloaks and seldom use them anyway...

When in armour, he does not, that is true.

I was going to mention this. I only did the cloaks for the versions Lego have released. There are variants like Shire Sam and Lorien Haldir and many others which look completely different to the version Lego has released so far, and so their capes are likely to be different.

I was going to mention this. I only did the cloaks for the versions Lego have released.

Fair point - although: there is not much missing for the unarmoured Theoden, his body printing is already perfect. It is just the legs...

Has anybody come up with a way to give a cloak to Gimli?

Has anybody come up with a way to give a cloak to Gimli?

I just pushed the cape as close to the torso as possible and then forced the beard on. Both pieces are fine.

After Lorien, Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and Boromir all wear the Lorien cloaks, which I would use as Dark Bluish Grey. The amount of extra Gandalfs put out should help cloth the taller characters.

To my mind, Sand Green would be best colour for the Hobbit's cloaks, pre-Lorien. However, as that colour doesn't exist in cloak form, Olive Green, Dark Green or Light Grey would work best.

Aragon wears a dark cloak up until Lorien. I would say dark green, but really dark brown would do just as well. Aragorn then wears a dark red cloak at the Black Gate.

Legolas wears a brown cloak in Rivendell, but then doesn't wear one until he gets his Lorien cloak.

Gimli wears a dark blue cloak on his arrival in Rivendell, which is not seen again.

Boromir wears a dark red cloak sporadically from his arrival in Rivendell until Lorien.

Gandalf wears a dark grey cloak as Gandalf the Grey, then a white one as Gandalf the White. When he is tricking possessed Theoden, he wears a dark grey cloak as Gandalf the White.

Haldir wears a dark red cloak, Eomer wears a black one at Aragorn's coronation and Theoden wears no cloak at all

I thought Theoden did wear a cloak on the journey to Helms Deep. One that was red on the inside and dark green on the outside.

Mine are based on before the Fellowship hits Lorien, since they all basically look the same cloak-wise afterwards:

Aragorn: a dark green-black one would be best; it would be even better if TLG had modeled the Weathertop minifigure after his Strider outfit, but nothing that can be changed there.

Legolas: whatever he wore in the 1st movie (brown?)

Eomer: the green cloak looks good on him, but for movie accuracy the minifigure should've been bare-backed.

Pippin: I don't mind the one that came with him, since red would've clashed a little with the outfit.

Gimli: dark blue.

Someone did a photoshop recolour of Aragorn to make him look more accurate to the films.

LEGO Aragorn Recolour

If he had been done like that by TLG, then a dark green cloak would look great. But since they gave him a brown jacket, I find that green stands out too much and looks bad.

I just give the Minifigures the cloaks they come with. :grin: Although, if you want to give them other cloaks, it's easy to make a post-Lorien Fellowship. All the tall characters get Gandalf's cape, and the short characters (the hobbits and Gimli), get the capes that came in Shelob Attacks. :wink:

I just pushed the cape as close to the torso as possible and then forced the beard on. Both pieces are fine.

Thanks. I have to try it.

Regarding Aragorn, I initially gave him a green cape which looks fine to me. Now I've replaced it with black, as in the video game.

At the moment, I'm using Elrond's short dark-blue cape for Pippin, though it makes his outfit too monochromatic. The light-green one is definitely wrong, though. The one that would probably work best is Gilderoy Lockhart's lavender cape from 4730 "Chamber of Secrets" (although I doubt very many people still have that cape). My own is practically ruined...