LEGO Historian

Those fantastically expensive 1:87 LEGO cars/trucks

Hallo Lego Historian,

I will ke seaching for other color Lego Karmann Ghia's

Do you happen to have pictures of the green or blue metallic Lego Karmann Ghia models?

Regards

Patrick Baptist

VW Karmann Ghia collector in any scale :-)

Here is a link to a 4 page magazine article on the LEGO 1:87 vehicles.

A couple of things... the author of the article was not aware of the fact that early 1:87 cars/trucks were made of Cellulose Acetate... and therefore warped... the author thought that they had "impurities" that caused that.

And another thing that has still not gotten answered... where were the 1:87 vehicles made. At least the Bedford trucks and early cars were made in Billund... the cars in the garages carry a "MADE IN DENMARK" label on the bottom.

But the Mercedes trucks and later cars may have been made in Hohenwestedt Germany. The jury is still out on this one....

Here is the magazine article... very informative....

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Gary Istok

Very interesting article. I love this kind of vehicles.

Pbaptist.... sorry to take so long.... Here is a metallic blue Karman Ghia... I've not yet seen an image of a metallic green one... 14232971375_b66ab389f9_o.jpg

Here's a nice image of the bottom of all the LEGO 1:87 cars. These all show the mention of "LEGO" underneath. In my new upgraded Collectors Guide, I show these individually....... 14253211003_2c02da069f_b_d.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

Look what I found tucked away in a $17 bag of red and white Samsonite bricks:

14375473547_e8c89789d6.jpg

It's a red Ford Taunus, with the garage.

Good evening and happy new year to everybody !

Sorry to reply to an old topic, but it comes first in google. 

Question : I have seen for sale a lego 696 german cars but it says it is new edition not the old one of 1966.

Does anyone hear about that ?

Please to hear. 

Sorry, english is not my first language. 

Nothing in the collector's guide of gary Istok,

nothing on the lego.com website

nothing on google

Any idea ?

I just discovered these in our basement. They belonged to my grandfather. Are these some of the rare Opels mentioned here?

Lego.jpg.e797f025e9da61f8751b5a8a317c9b76.jpg5ac3bc91df360_Lego2.jpg.a6df18a5b027b9c55f16291bfb116583.jpg

Edited by Erik Norge
Added image

14 hours ago, Erik Norge said:

I just discovered these in our basement. They belonged to my grandfather. Are these some of the rare Opels mentioned here?

Lego.jpg.e797f025e9da61f8751b5a8a317c9b76.jpg5ac3bc91df360_Lego2.jpg.a6df18a5b027b9c55f16291bfb116583.jpg

Oh my..... get me some smelling salts.....

Erik, you have won the "daily double" of LEGO this month!!  :sweet:

For those who don't know the early "Town Plan" days of LEGO of 1955-70 (and I'm sure there's quite a few of ya :wink: )  .... Erik just found the equivalent of 2 Mr. Gold collectible minifigs!  

Yes Erik those are the VERY rare 1957-58 LEGO Opel Kapitän 1:87 cars.  At first fewer than 6 were known... now folks have accounted for nearly 20.  Before I say anything further, I want my early LEGO collector friends to see this....  but you found a crown jewel of early LEGO.  FYI... these were not produced in Billund.  They were produced by A/S NORSKE LEGIO.... of Oslo Norway.  Because of toy imports in the 1950s in Norway, TLG had to get a Norwegian partner (Svein Strømberg & Co. of Oslo) to sell LEGO in Norway starting in November 1953. 

Norske LEGIO had problems with these cars... the single piece window glass plastic part gave these cars lots of problems.  TLG Billunds decided not to produce these in 1957 when the Norway subsidiary started producing some of these.  Originally we thought they were just prototypes that got out of Norske LEGO.  But now we're not 100% sure.

FYI... I knew they were the real deal once I saw their undercarriages.   They are a unique gray plastic color shade that I have never seen before at TLG.

Edited by LEGO Historian

Oh my... Seems my hunch about them being rare was correct.

Thank you very much for the interesting history lesson. I live in Oslo, so it is not so strange they showed up here.

I found this truck as well. I this also something rare?

5ac51df5b4521_Lego3.jpg.407641f67bfbe19eaecfcd5d86b58a14.jpg5ac51df80d72b_Lego4.jpg.349aae25f2df04235421a73f9b627f82.jpg

Yes the Norway 1253 Flatbed Truck.... it came with a regular blue undercarriage, and a dark blue cab... not sure why they made the cab dark, but they did.

Here is an assortment of Norwegian trucks and van....  note the brass wheels on the tanker truck... very early (1955) Norwegian trucks had brass wheels.

13604786335_179aac0a7b_b.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

Hello there. So, I know very little about Lego, but I have some Lego 1:87 scale Toy cars in a 6 pack case that I believe is from the distributer that I really wanted to share some pictures of and ask some questions about. None of these seem to have been used, as they are bright and shiny, but there are no banderoles on them. About half are unassembled, and the others are. I am not sure if they normally shipped assembled or unassembled. No parts are broken or missing. If anyone would be willing to take a look and share any information they have on if they have seen them like this before or not, I would appreciate it. Unfortunately, i am unable to upload any pics as the files are way too big for this forum. Not sure how I could share a picture file of only .1 MB

31 minutes ago, Snuffoff said:

Hello there. So, I know very little about Lego, but I have some Lego 1:87 scale Toy cars in a 6 pack case that I believe is from the distributer that I really wanted to share some pictures of and ask some questions about. None of these seem to have been used, as they are bright and shiny, but there are no banderoles on them. About half are unassembled, and the others are. I am not sure if they normally shipped assembled or unassembled. No parts are broken or missing. If anyone would be willing to take a look and share any information they have on if they have seen them like this before or not, I would appreciate it. Unfortunately, i am unable to upload any pics as the files are way too big for this forum. Not sure how I could share a picture file of only .1 MB

Eurobricks isn't meant to host pictures. You'll have to upload them elsewhere (like Flickr or Bricksafe) and link to them here. Also, tagging @LEGO Historian to help you out with this. As a side note, welcome to Eurobricks!

On 2/22/2023 at 3:52 PM, Snuffoff said:

I'm late saying this, but the item you have is probably something along the lines like this:

IMG_3317

As you say these boxes were sold to stores who were then meant to sell the cars individually to their customers.  If underneath the garages they have a red sticker with "Made in Denmark" written, then they were imported by Samsonite and were meant for the North American market.  LEGO dealer boxes like these are quite collectible, so you have something valuable.

Ive always wanted one but i could never find one, i was looking for a blue beetle lol

On 3/2/2023 at 2:10 PM, nicodex_ said:

I'm late saying this, but the item you have is probably something along the lines like this:

IMG_3317

As you say these boxes were sold to stores who were then meant to sell the cars individually to their customers.  If underneath the garages they have a red sticker with "Made in Denmark" written, then they were imported by Samsonite and were meant for the North American market.  LEGO dealer boxes like these are quite collectible, so you have something valuable.

My box is very similar to this, although it has 6 cars in it, 2x2x2 along the length of the box. They are all 6 blue Citroen's. There are no stickers on the bottom of the garages, but the box itself is debossed with a "Made in Denmark" stamp.

I am looking into setting up an account on Flickr or Imgur so I can provide a link to some images.

Thank you for your reply. I was under the impression they are quite collectible, but there doesn't seem to be much of a market or knowledge base on them here in the states. I have even taken them to some vintage toy stores that carry old Lego sets, and no one there had any clue about these, so I am very glad this forum does seem to have more knowledge about them.