Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #65: Breaking Down the Door

8666363218_56a424bf4a_t.jpg

"'It is indeed my beauty. Last one, let's see if you can guess it."

"The cow and the goat watched the eagle and owl as they both argued over the fish. The spider did try his best to disguise his appetite for a butterfly dish. The cat and the bear made quite a pair, basking all of their day in the sun. The blade and the hammer did make such a clamor, the eye promptly left the last one. Who was the last one?"

"'Why am I not surprised a green-skin would know the answer to that one? Very well, it seems you folks were brighter than I would have guessed. Shall I notify our dreaded cleric?"

Xander whispers to the group, "Is there anyone here that would be willing to let me borrow a ranged elemental weapon? All this talk of undead, I would hate to not be able to participate in any potential incident that may come up. In my haste to reach the inn in time, I forgot to imbue a gem in my bow."

OoC: Knew I forgot something before I left on this quest....

"If you insist."

The gargoyle took a deep breath before calling out, "Hey Down-in-the-dumps, you've got visitors!"

8665264201_b8d31fdb4c.jpg

8666359670_4a8e090c2b_t.jpg

"Umm...sniffle... Can I help you?"

I am sorry Master Ratabor, we are here at the request of the owner, collecting rent owed. We are told you owe two hundred gold, if you would be so good to fetch that for us, we can leave you in peace.

"Ah I see, well this is a rather awkward encounter. I do indeed have 200 Gold and was just on my way to pay it, but if you would rather take it directly to Mr. Greely I wouldn't see too much harm in that. I know you heroes are to be trusted, if anyone is during these hard times."

"Thank you Cronk," Ratabor hands over the 200 Gold to the Paladin. "You know there's a delightful old lady a few doors down that could use some company. She has been rather depressed, ever since the owner of the inn. Well you know... I tried my best that dreadful night, I really did, but well sometimes Helvetia says no."

Mistress Cynthia did not really speak about it. Would you please tell us what happened, so that we do not hear a garbled version from someone else?

"Terrible tragedy it was... sniffle... 4 weeks back most of the inn was awakened in the middle of the night by a horrible scream. Seeing as how we're not necessarily situated in the most peaceful part of the city, I thought there must have been some sort of gang violence or something outside. The next morning Mr. Greely was at my door beckoning me to come quickly to the cellar. Down there my eyes beheld a sight, I shall never easily forget. Propped up against the wall, raggedly sucking in his last breaths, lay the owner of this inn Mr. Krook burnt nearly to a crisp. His limbs... sniff... reduced to blackened stumps, his face contorted with pain and swelling with blisters, a blackened outline on the wall behind him bearing witness to the scorching he had received. I tried my best to ease his last moments, but even my tears were fruitless against the wounds inflicted on the poor man."

Edited by Waterbrick Down

"Aye, the inn uses fire drakes to run the buildings furnaces. We figured Krook had been down there drunkingly looking for a cask of wine and opened up the drake's pen in his stupor. They're not tame beasts you know and well, the rest of the story is merely a charred outline on the cellar wall."

Xander lowers his voice slightly with the somber turn of the conversation.

"Do you know if they were able to capture the fire drake, or did it escape in the commotion?"

"You know I never checked, they obviously are in there now, we were too busy trying to save Mr. Krook to take any notice at the time."

Great. A mystery...

Does Ratabor know of any being in Inn that would have an alchemical battery?

Or has Ratabor seen a little wolpertinger running around Inn?

"There is an employee of the Guild of Invision on the 3rd floor somewhere, not sure which room tough. As far as a wolpertinger, I think I saw something like a squirrelish creature climbing upstairs as well earlier this morning."

"You are most welcome, if you should ever be in need of any healing while you're going about your business here, don't hesitate to stop by. And if he gives you any trouble."

The cleric motions to the gargoyle.

"Feel free to give him a good whack and threaten him with soapy water and lemon juice."