Review: 6645 Street Sweeper

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Basic info:

Set number & name: 6645 Street Sweeper

Year released: 1991

Age group: from 6 years

Number of pieces: 57 (BrickLink)

Theme: Classic Town

Price: 5-30 EUR (used), 60-195 EUR (MISB). It actually cost 89 ATS (that would convert into 6,47 EUR)

One of my favourite sets from childhood is this little street sweeper, the first of its kind and name in Lego Town. It would actually be followed by two very similar sets, 6649 in 1995 and 7242 in 2005.

NB: Some catalogs have set 605 from 1978 also named as Street Sweeper, though this one is more like a wheelbarrow and is hand-operated.

Box:

dsc00313.jpg

Classic design, though without Legoland title which was dropped that year.

Contents:

dsc00715.jpg

Bricks, instructions, mini catalog. Here we can see another classic town feature - alternate models that can be built, shown on the back of the box.

Interesting pieces:

dsc00325.jpg

The old gray bucket and hose and medium blue brushes were already common parts by the time the set was released but here they were first used in a city vehicle in their respective colours. An interesting new part is yellow brush holder with hinge fitting which is - according to BrickLink - unique to this set both in shape and colour and has never reappeared since.

Minifigs and accessories:

dsc00314.jpg

Two workers with fitting utensil

Instructions:

dsc00318.jpg

Fold-out type, showing front page.

Catalog:

dsc00319.jpg

Mini catalog, fold-out type too.

The build:

dsc00716.jpg

All functional parts of the vehicle are neatly positioned within 7 studs in length. It has a loading bucket at the rear (pictured left), suction hose holder that can be raised and lowered (center) and holder for rotating brushes at the front (right).

dsc00717.jpg

Street sweeper in action. Apart from moving parts mentioned above the doors and the roof open as well.

dsc00721.jpg

Loading bucket lowered.

Conclusion:

Design: 10/10 Although pretty basic, it cleverly incorporates all the features of the real vehicle.

Minifigs: 9/10 They are identical and the torso is one the most common in city sets, but after all there are 2 of them in such a small set.

Parts: 8/10 Fairly basic and common of the era, but then quite a nice selection for 57-piece set.

Build: 8/10 Standard and straightforward, it matches the age group perfectly.

Playability: 10/10 Now here is where this little set not only sweeps away the dust but many larger sets as well. With all its truthfully re-created functions and moving parts and two minifigs it is truly a masterpiece in terms of playability, considering its size and time when it was released.

Overall: 9/10

Nice review Kivi. I've been trying to get one of these for a couple years. I love the bin on the back. They don't show up often on ebay, but when they do, someone wants a 'buy it now' premium. I do really like the catalog that it came with. I have one, but not in that good of condition :classic:

Yay! Another of my favourite sets - and probably one of my first.

Great review! Brought back loads of memories - Thanks

Best regards

Bregir