ie10421

LEGO Area space design - Crowd Sourcing request

OK, I need to do some crowd sourcing of design. I recently remodeled my basement, and now have a dedicated LEGO space, about 10 ft by 12 ft. (see picture at flickr link). I am looking for different ideas for storage / build space design. I am pretty open to anything, but want to try and utilize the assets I have (see below). Please look at all the pictures on the flickr link, and let me know if you need more clarification.

Here is the list of assets, as well as a link to my flickr page with a layout picture, and pictures of the spaces available

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ie10421/sets/72157633188793621/

3 x table tops 7ft 3in x 2ft 11in (I have legs for them, but am open to building some sort of frame for them or attaching them to wall or whatever, and they can be cut)

Storage:

7x - IRIS drawer units, 12in wide, 16in deep, height is variable (each drawer can be removed / added)

2x - 6ft x 13in

3x - 44 drawer AKRO-MIlls units (red in the picture)

Additional info on the space, 6ft 10 into the room an I-BEAM runs across, at 12in down, and 2ft 7in across (includes ductwork, see photo).

Door must be able to open 90 degrees, it is a 3ft door.

Room along the hallway wall opposite the shelves is available.

Ceiling is about 8ft high (open floor joists, painted black).

Thanks!

- Chris

Edited by ie10421

Wow! Great space! I really like how the walls are all white. And the studio type lighting, it will give a well lit build space.

I would suggest one table on the 10 foot wall and one on the 12 foot wall. For me I am planning to use a couple of my Akro mills cabinets on my build table within easy access, put your most commonly used parts in these cabinets. For your rather sizable collection of parts and stuff I would suggest organizing that on your built-in shelves organized so you can find what you need for projects. Maybe use the third table in the area across from your storage area to give a place for parts gathering from your inventory.

You could put some display shelves on the wall on the side of your build space to display ome models for inspiration.

Something not directly LEGO related, I would put something on the wall above your most frequently used build space to give you a feeling of openness, maybe a large framed poster of an outdoor scene, maybe a mirror somewhere. Don't forget the design elements just for astetics to make you want to spend time there in comfort.

I hope something here is of some help.

That is going to be one great studio, I a looking forward to photos of he finished project.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Thanks for the suggestions, I am taking in all ideas, so I can really do this well. My original thought was tables along the walls (as you suggested). Another idea given to me (off list) was to build a island (maybe even on castors) using a table top, and putting more of the storage along the 10Ft wall. I like both ideas, so I am still figuring it all out.

I like the idea of the display shelves, and may a good way of implementing that. I do have a spot to hang a TV in a corner, but I do need to consider how to decorate the walls to make it feel more open, enjoyable.

THANKS!

Chris

You do have the room, and I think an island for building is a great idea! You might even think of putting 2 of your tables back to back to give you a great, large center build space. Then maybe use another table on a wall to put more of your most frequently used inventory, within easy reach.

TV is a good idea, I use one mainly for background noise and short diversion when building or sorting.

For decorating, maybe some art you find enjoyable and inspirational. Mirrors strategically placed can make a closed in space seem more open. Most importantly you need something to focus your eyes on when you look up from your build or other LEGO activity, this will help to rest your eyes give you something else to think about, so you can get back to your build refreshed.

Andy D

THis thread got kind of dead, but since I am working on my studio as well, I am interested in how things are progressing with your studio, maybe some ideas for me as well.

Any additional photos of what you have done to it recently?

Not too many ideas "on-list" wondering what you've decided to do?

Good luck with your studio.

Andy D

Well, I have the design down, and hopefully construction starts this weekend. (Real life keeps getting in the way). Here is the rough idea

The "iris drawers" area will be up about 18" off the ground on a platform so that I can have bulk brick storage under it, and I'm not bending all the way down to the ground to get to the bottom drawers.

The Akro Mills will be hung on the wall to provide easy storage.

The build island will be 3ft x 6ft. The Island will be on castors, about countertop height (comfortable to build at standing, or sitting on a stool). It will have some sort of "active storage" so that the pieces I need for the current build will be readily accessible, but not necessarily on top of the island.

The desk will 2-3ft x 5t (not sure until I see how much space i actually have.

The TV will be wall mounted above the desk, and the there will be a computer on the desk.

The hallway leading in to the area will have some shelves on it to display build items, and the UCS Falcon will be hanging from the ceiling somewhere. I'll get more pictures posted once I get further along.

Chris

Looking good! I have high hopes that my new cabinetry, desk and shelves will be installed next week.

Looks like we are on a similar schedule.

Looking forward to photos of your space.

Andy D

Decorating suggestion: Hang up pictures of outdoor scenes. So it's like looking out the window into the Great Outdoors. Especially helpful in a windowless room. Or pictures of things you like to build. Pics of Castles if you build those. Or of Space (real and/or scifi) if that's your thing. Have extra pics on hand, so you can swap some out from time to time, so it's not "the same pics on the wall all the time". Or use digital photo frames.

Looks awesome! I'm extremely envious of the amount of storage you have. The way the table is made is very unique. What's the on the floor in the last picture?

Thanks tomdobs55! I've enjoyed the process the making the space. On the floor is my 4ft wide model of Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House, built for Brickworld 2009. It's currently needing some repair, as it took some damage during construction of the basement. You can see it here:

robie-front

OK, Progress is very slow. But here are some pics of the current state. I still need to design and build the island, and get the rest of the LEGO down there, and finish sorting it.

Andy D - Do you have any pictures of your space? I would love to see them.

-Chris...

Your space is really starting to take shape. When you get your "Build Island" in place you should be ready to get some serious sorting and building done.

I have some additional photos of my studio here....

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=80916entry1586201

Let me know what you think.

Andy D

-Chris...

Your space is really starting to take shape. When you get your "Build Island" in place you should be ready to get some serious sorting and building done.

I have some additional photos of my studio here....

http://www.eurobrick...6

Let me know what you think.

Andy D

Looks great. I wish my home office looked that nice (I work from home). Having a window in your studio is awesome. I think it's great. I'd love see the inside of the cabinets with the LEGO all sorted, just see how you organize.

Chris

Looks great. I wish my home office looked that nice (I work from home). Having a window in your studio is awesome. I think it's great. I'd love see the inside of the cabinets with the LEGO all sorted, just see how you organize.

Chris

Speaking of sorting how do you go about cataloging? I have a spreadsheet that's pretty much organized the same way as bricklink does it. I'm very happy with it (although very time consuming) just seeing how others do it.

Speaking of sorting how do you go about cataloging? I have a spreadsheet that's pretty much organized the same way as bricklink does it. I'm very happy with it (although very time consuming) just seeing how others do it.

Well, My sorting system has kind of grown organically over the years. Currently, I have 3 main sorting systems, IRIS drawers, separated generally by bricklink categories, or sub categories (1x1 brick, 1x2 brick etc..) I tend to combine wedge plates, some slopes, and other types of pieces, like modified brick and modified plate etc.... I have the AKRO-MILLS wall mounted units to organize the technic pieces, and other small pieces. Finally I have some small craft boxes that allows me sort a single piece type into colors (1x1 round plate, 1x1 tiles, 1x2 tiles etc each piece type gets their own container). Unfortunately, there is no system for what type of piece gets what storage. The real problem for me is that I have no idea if I have enough storage for the pieces of have. what is in the pictures is about 1/4 - 1/3 of the collection. The rest is completely unsorted. Also, this LEGO includes mine and the kids (almost all LEGO in the house is really family LEGO). It shouldn't be problem until one of my kids whats some LEGO after they move out, and then we have to figure what they get. As sorting goes on, I may have to change the methods a little, we'll see.

Chris