Athos

Which Battery Box?

Either one will work. The train sets with Power Functions include the AAA Battery Box. The Rechargeable Battery Box offers the advantage of not requiring removal of the entire battery box to replace batteries. You'd only to to remove whatever bricks/elements were covering the charging port for the plug from the transformer.

The AAA Battery Box is great for home or casual use while the Rechargeable Battery Box is really great for running trains for extended periods of time like at train shows. Or for folks like me who are too lazy to replace batteries. :tongue:

Cheers from Claremore, Oklahoma USA! :classic:

Dave

I think both of those in my post are not rechargable AAA boxes, aren't they?

There is a different rechargable one.

Steve

You can use either one for trains, but the 88000 is IMO far better for trains as it's smaller and much, much easier to hide away inside. I think the 8881 lasts a little longer because it uses AA batteries instead of AAA, but unless you're building a boxcar or a giant tender I don't know that it would be worth trying to deal with.

Thanks for the advice. I see now, that one is AA and one is AAA.

Steve

Which one is needed or is better for trains?

Steve

As others have said you can use either. Space normally means 88000 is used, but if you can fit it in 8881 has two advantages; AAs can be bought in higher capacities so your trains run longer, the extra weight can give better traction if the battery box is supported by the driving wheels.

I recommend getting the 88000 or at least the rechargeable battery box.

The Emerald Night is the only train I have PF in, and right now the 8881 battery box is the only power box I have. It looks really awkward with it standing up in the tender.

If you're going to make a steam engine I would recommend the 88000. I usually see people fit their battery box under in the tenders and cover it up with some black plates.

But, if you're going to make a train car or anything else just make sure it's tall enough for the 8881 box. Other than that it doesn't really matter which one you get.

If you do get the 8878 rechargeable just make sure you have a battery box on standby for when the rechargeable dies.