jmagaletta

General Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit Questions

I did not see a topic of this type in the forum when I went through the last few pages. Thought it might be good to start one, also I have a general opinion question that I would like some guidance in. And another that question regarding minifigs.

I am going to the Lego store today and leaving with a set, either from LOTR or The Hobbit. Budget is 0 - 100. I dont know which set to get. As of right now I only own Helm's Deep, two Uruk Hai Army, and the Elrond figure. Any ideas, I am kinda at a loss for which set to get. Each one has its perks and I certainly like most of them, but none particularly jumps out at me.

With regards to minifigs is there a difinative list of the minifigs that have been released from this wave. Prefferably with pictures. Thanks guys.

Edited by jmagaletta

I have all the LotR sets and bought all the Hobbit sets except for Barrel Escape. Out of all of them, I kept Helm's Deep and An Unexpected Gathering intact and on display. Since you already have Helm's Deep, I recommend Bagend.

All the other sets are just about the figures for me.

Thank you guys, another question are polybags sold at The Lego Store? Would love to get Gandalf at Dul Guldur. Cheap way to get him.

I don't know if polybags are available, but you'll get Gandalf if you decide to go for the 79003 Unexpected Gathering that others have recommended (and which is also my favorite LOTR/Hobbit set).

Thank you guys, another question are polybags sold at The Lego Store? Would love to get Gandalf at Dul Guldur. Cheap way to get him.

You'll get Gandalf with Bag End, better buy a bunch of 30212 Mirkwood elf guards!

Is the goblin king set worth to get at 58 euro? Or is there an online sale on amazon/ lego.com in a couple of weeks that I dont know of.

Edited by Cammo

Is the goblin king set worth to get at 58 euro? Or is there a online sale on amazon/ lego.com in a couple of weeks that I dont know of.

YES! I got that set at that price. Regular set is 100 eu. Go get it!

Is the goblin king set worth to get at 58 euro? Or is there a online sale on amazon/ lego.com in a couple of weeks that I dont know of.

It is on sale, I'm currently building it and I'm not liking it that much. Doesn't feel like a €99 set (standard price), goes better for €58. I keep getting the feeling that I'm building many small sets instead of one big nicely designed set. And it has lot's of stickers. Anyway, it has many nice pieces for castle builders, if you're into that.

The two sets I would steer clear of are the cheapest one from each wave which is Gandalf Arrives and Riddles for the Ring. The only real reason to buy these is if you are a completion, otherwise they offer nothing new that you can't get in another, more interesting set (except a slightly different expression on Gollum).

An Unexpected Gathering would also probably be my choice. If you wanted something a little cheaper, I think Shelob Attacks is an excellent option. I originally had very little interest in this set but after getting it and building it Shelob proved to be a really neat model with a lot of play value and articulation and really impressed me. I also really like Wargs Attack and Mines of Moria for the unique molds and minifigures, though I know they aren't terribly popular with others due to their somewhat lacking building component.

The two polybags are only available at TRU and have very limited availability even then. I know it's been said ten times already but Unexpected Gathering. Its twice as good as any of the others. Ten times better than the Goblin King as far as I'm concerned.

The two polybags are only available at TRU and have very limited availability even then.

Those Polybags never reach Portugal, it's really sad :/ get the 79003 jmagaletta!

My favourtie sets available:

LOTR: The mines of Moria & Shelob (almost completes your Fellowship too) BL Aragon & Merry :classic:

The Hobbit: Bag End & Mirkwood Spiders

I just heard about the discount on the Goblin King set - is there any chance we will see even cheaper prices for that set, or has such a thing never or rarely occurred?

I've been considering to get one for the pieces and 3 extra goblins (since I'm already getting the full set of figures from a trade), but I'm wondering if it has a chance of ever getting cheaper than €58.

Bag End and Shelob. And if they don't have Bag End, just replace it with Mines of Moria.

I would never get The Mines of Moria, one of the poorest sets I've built, but Shelob is a winner!

I just heard about the discount on the Goblin King set - is there any chance we will see even cheaper prices for that set, or has such a thing never or rarely occurred?

I've been considering to get one for the pieces and 3 extra goblins (since I'm already getting the full set of figures from a trade), but I'm wondering if it has a chance of ever getting cheaper than €58.

I say get it, even if it does get cheaper, I don't think it'll be much cheaper than that.

Why does everybody hate poor little Moria? I thought it was a pretty good representation of the scene. Just take out the little play features and slap it on a baseplate and it's good.

Why does everybody hate poor little Moria? I thought it was a pretty good representation of the scene. Just take out the little play features and slap it on a baseplate and it's good.

Too many stickers to be taken seriously lol, but I didn't like the idea of the whole set, some unifying logic was missing, like in Bag End.

Despite the "overwhelming outcry" for Bagend. I am going to get Mirkwood Spiders. I like Kili and Fili and the Legolas with elvish Armour. It is a cheap set. And will also get Attack of the Wargs. Gives me my favorite dwarves, Fili, Kili, and Thorin. Some enemies too. The only figs I like about Bagend is Dwalin. Though the set is nice I am not really into it. I will have to pick up Bilbo at some point but hopefully next Hobbit wave. As for LOTR I believe I will not get anymore of the current sets and will wait for the upcomming wave.

EDIT: Just Mirkwood Spiders. Hope for Azog and Thorin in a winter wave.

Edited by jmagaletta

^^Mirkwood spiders is a fantastic set and has great colors too. I'm tempted to buy a second one of it and barrel escape and then sell off the dwarves.

I don't think it was terrible. They had to use their piece count on five different things and it had four exclusive minifigs that resale for half the price of the set. And as much as I LOATHE applying stickers, i'd sacrifice there before anywhere else to meet a price point.

I hate the goblin king battle so much more but that's probably largely because I hate Jackson's goblin king... And that cage... And that the goblin's headgear doesn't cover the face on the back of their heads and... Ok, I hate everything about it except for that cool little basket thingy.

Edited by Str0ngbad

Well my vote goes for "unexpected gathering". Though OP did made up his mind already.

Anyway, there is a lot of hate for goblin king. I havent built it myself yet, but that's the set that is only worth getting on sale for 60eu.

Well, it is general chat, so we might continue so. :sweet: I will be stabbed by everyone in here, but I really really want to get weathertop. looks cool and the wraiths looks really awesome. I am not a minifig man myself, but there is so,ethimg cool in those dark riders!

I do hope this general chat continues. Similar to the one in the Star Wars thread.

I thought about Weathertop also. It is the only set with Ringwraiths!!! the set is just a little to small for me compared to the reference material.