Phazon

Corner Modular

Hello, after several years of browsing around this forum, I encoutered a problem during my latest modular building. I thought that there would be no better reason to sign in to this forum.

Without further ado, my problem is that I don't know how I should build an angled wall. The first time I tried, the angle of the wall didn't match the angle of the plate. My main inspiration was RoxYourBlox' entry for the Modular Madness contest, the Black Cat Cabaret. I tried to use the same dimensions as his building has on the groundflour. With that I mean things as distance to the street, wall length, etc. However, I got stuck wit his angled wall and I couldn't find a guide or something about this subject. So does anyone know how I could solve this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Eurobricks!

The Cafe Corner has an angled wall for the entrance. You can download the instructions from LEGO.com or Brickset, which might give you some ideas for your building. Good luck and don't forget to post a picture of the finished building!

Thanks for the replies! The one thing that didn't work out for me were those hinge bricks. I'll try to take a picture to show you why, but I need to rebuild that section first, as I broke it down yesterday. Ofcourse the building will be showed here on Eurobricks and I may add some pictures of a 16-wide modular this week.

My corner modular is in fact a modular cinema, just like the Palace Cinema.

These are some views of how the building should be looking, remember it's still a WIP.

Here is the link to my Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...hoto_8328657875

I hope that it makes more sense now.

Edited by Phazon

You can't achieve an 45 degree angle this way (as you already noticed). If you remember Pythagoras, the angled wall needs to be a multiple of 1.41 studs, which is unrealistic. One possible solution is to use the hinges only at one side. Or, like the Cafe Corner, put a turntable in center of the wall.

Oh, and welcome to Eurobricks, Phazon!

You can't achieve an 45 degree angle this way (as you already noticed). If you remember Pythagoras, the angled wall needs to be a multiple of 1.41 studs, which is unrealistic. One possible solution is to use the hinges only at one side. Or, like the Cafe Corner, put a turntable in center of the wall.

It can be done, as 7x7=49, which is almost 25+25. Lego has enough tolerance for this margin of error. Otherwise said, 7 studs is almost 5x1.41 studs.

This WIP-photo of Jasper Joppe Geers' post office shows how 7x7x10 also works. I haven't used this method myself, more relying on a turntable and cilinder bricks, like Café Corner. Edited by alois

These replies are very useful to me, so thanks! I tried the 14 wide angled wall, but I think that it stresses the bricks too much. I am therefore going to try something else like the turntable method. I used it before, but never managed to connect the angled wall to the rest of the building, although that was a couple of years back.

I have one more question: Does anyone know how the Black Cat Cabaret was built? I can't figure it out with the pictures alone.