Rick

10233 Horizon Express

There's also a cheaper option of using a single PF-train bogie but with a much heavier ballast weight fitted directly over the power bogie. The problem is that with 5 carriages in tow the power bogie just spins its wheels in corners since it can't get enough traction. Stick a 300-500g weight over the bogie and problem solved. I use some little bags of lead weights from a set of fitness wrist weights I had lying around. Works well with my emerald night so should be fine with the Horizon Express. Note that the AAA battery box only weighes 100g so it's not heavy enough on its own.

Hah, poor Airport Shuttle :(

Reminds me I need to pick up more monorail track...

You have a couple of options:

1. Power functions front and rear

This is what I have done, adding a complete set of power functions front and rear. I have also changed the rear light lenses to red which looks good.

Pros: Lights rear lights up without trailing extensions through the train. Power from the rear will help avoid train from accidentally uncoupling. Double set of batteries so longer running time between battery changes. Can split the two sets in half and run as two trains!

Cons: Expense. Chance that one IR receiver may get a signal and the other one doesn't - not noticed this yet and doesn't overly worry me. Possible imbalance if one set of batteries has less charge than the other.

2. Two power bogies in front locomotive

You can also just add a second power functions bogie to the front loco.

Pros: Cheaper. No chance of power bogies having conflicting commands.

Cons: The bogies will be facing in opposing directions so you will either have to add an 8869 control switch to reverse the polarity to the rear bogie, or open the bogie up and rewire it in reverse inside (soldering required). Rear lights will not light up, unless you add extensions through the train, or add a battery pack to the rear loco just for the lights.

I think we'll use the second option, as it seems a lot simpler.

Thanks for the help :classic:

This is a fantastic set. You have to get two of them though.

Here is what ours looks like

True, two of these sets is essential... I think it is clever to push people a bit to decide to buy two... you just want two....haha...!

I've run mine with 2 9V motors (one at each end) rather than PF (at this time). Runs fairly fast, and will still derail at times on a normal semi-circle curve. I can live without the lights so far although I do have a set of PF lights coming from S@H. She's a beauty and looks good on a decent stretch.

Hah, poor Airport Shuttle :(

Reminds me I need to pick up more monorail track...

What's wrong with the shuttle? We love the monorail, I think it's the best part of our layout!

This is a fantastic set. You have to get two of them though.

Here is what ours looks like

Wow! Is this your layout?

Edited by futuresportz

Here is my two cents on powering this train:

What I did was buy two sets.

Use one battery box and one receiver and run a cascade of extension wires with a control switch to power a motor at either end.

Then I hooked up the front and back lights to the PF motor plug and put lights in each carriage powered from the extension cord.

Lights and engines are all powered from one port of the receiver.

It drives nicely, the motors fit well and the entire thing is lit up nicely. :classic:

What I used:

-2 10233 Horizon express

-1 Power Functions IR Receiver

-1 Power Functions Rechargeable Battery Box

-2 Power Functions Train Motor (88002)

-2 Power Functions Extension Wire 20”

-2 Power Functions Extension Wire 8"

-1 Power Functions Control Switch

-8 Power Functions Light

Kind regards,

Teddy

Use one battery box and one receiver and run a cascade of extension wires with a control switch to power a motor at either end.

Then I hooked up the front and back lights to the PF motor plug and put lights in each carriage powered from the extension cord.

It drives nicely, the motors fit well and the entire thing is lit up nicely. :classic:

What I used:

-2 10233 Horizon express

-8 Power Functions Light

Kind regards,

Teddy

WOW! How long does it run? It must look like a sideways Christmas tree! (In a good way) :)

What's wrong with the shuttle? We love the monorail, I think it's the best part of our layout!

Poor Airport Shuttle because it got smacked by a significantly larger Maersk! I love my Shuttle too - managed to find a MISB 6921 track expansion for the bargain price of £40 the other day, but I want more! (To be specific, points, straights, inclines...)

What I used:

-2 10233 Horizon express

-8 Power Functions Light

Kind regards,

Teddy

That must be quite a draw on a single box? I've got mine running now as a train of two halves...

Front:

Rechargeable box

Dual motors (1x normal, 1x reversed)

Front lights

Rear:

AAA box

Rear lights

This means I don't have a wire running down the 6 passenger carriages to deal with, and my rear power is totally independent. Does mean I have to use 2x IR receivers though, and two channels (motors on one, lights on another).

What I used:

-2 10233 Horizon express

-8 Power Functions Light

Kind regards,

Teddy

could you post some pictures of it?

That must be quite a draw on a single box? I've got mine running now as a train of two halves...

Front:

Rechargeable box

Dual motors (1x normal, 1x reversed)

Front lights

Rear:

AAA box

Rear lights

This means I don't have a wire running down the 6 passenger carriages to deal with, and my rear power is totally independent. Does mean I have to use 2x IR receivers though, and two channels (motors on one, lights on another).

Hi Cei,

Actually, it is quite okay. I have been running the train for some while now and I have not noticed anything particular in regard to battery life.

One motor pulling hard also drains the battery as it requires much more current to overcome the resistance.

Probably not as much current as two motors running the same train, but I think the difference is much less than two.

This is from the Lego website:

The current consumption will depend heavily on the load it is driving. Under normal conditions it can be around 225 mA and we do not recommend a continuous use above 450 mA.

So current consumption of one motor can double under heavy load.

The current consumption of the lights is negligible compared to the motors.

Kind regards,

Teddy

could you post some pictures of it?

Had to take the train of the track and unhook the motors.

My camera is not that good at taking pictures in the dark, or of taking pictures of a moving object:

img_1941_edit.jpg

Hi Cei,

Actually, it is quite okay. I have been running the train for some while now and I have not noticed anything particular in regard to battery life.

One motor pulling hard also drains the battery as it requires much more current to overcome the resistance.

Probably not as much current as two motors running the same train, but I think the difference is much less than two.

This is from the Lego website:

The current consumption will depend heavily on the load it is driving. Under normal conditions it can be around 225 mA and we do not recommend a continuous use above 450 mA.

So current consumption of one motor can double under heavy load.

The current consumption of the lights is negligible compared to the motors.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Had to take the train of the track and unhook the motors.

My camera is not that good at taking pictures in the dark, or of taking pictures of a moving object:

img_1941_edit.jpg

looks great but are the lights in the roof integrated? if so how do you take it of?

looks great but are the lights in the roof integrated? if so how do you take it of?

Thanks,

the PF light are attached to the roof via these elements:

3176.gif

also the brick attached to the lights is put into the roof.

The PF cable is attached behind the entry doors.

When lifting of the roof the cable is more than long enough to just lay the roof next to the rest of the carriage.

Otherwise you can just easily unplug it.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Wow! Is this your layout?

Yes and it’s quite the monster. IKEA tables are awesome though! I’m surprised people like our layout on these forums, I figured it would just be chump change compared to what most here have, especially with our layout having so many non custom buildings (although many are custom or modified).

Edited by kc2dc

I don't know about the US but in the UK the set is only available via official Lego stores or on Lego shop at home. The nearest store to you appears to be in Austin, so maybe you could take a trip there. Alternatively, mail order from S@H shipping would be $13-18 depending on if you ordered 1 or 2

@TheTunnelTurn. Love your video of adding power. Great to see your son doing the assembly. Well done guys. What was the name of your blog?