just2good

Legends of Chima 2013

Just got my July/August Club Magazine today. It seems as if the editors are loosing their touch.

For one, in the Chima mini-book inside the front page, in the character section, Skinnet is misspelled "Skinnit" as well as the Eagle and Wolf symbols swapped in their windows. They also talked about Hero Factory's "Dragon Bolt" having a brain that inlarges his head, even though the "Brain Bug" is removed from the model.

In other news, I can confirm that the show will release on July 10th, with more episodes every Wednesday.

Longtooth and Lennox are mixed up as well.

I have a question: should I purchase Skinnet, Gorzan or Lagravis' speedorz?

All three. :tongue:

Skinnet, because he won't come in another set at the moment.

-Sci

Alright, thanks. I'll also get Furty and Grizzam, but they won't be out here till November.

So I know I'm not a regular here on the Chima board, but I thought it's interesting to see how many folks say Chima is a shelf warmer and whatnot. At my local Walmart, the Chimas are selling like hotcakes. At least if you compare with the City sets or some Star Wars offerings. There's even some of last year's City stuff left behind (Like the Dirt Bike Transporter, which is good because I need to get another one of those).

However, none of the new Chimas are there yet (No Gorilla Striker or Furty/Skinnett Speedorz). Some of the new Galaxy Squad and Castle sets are there, but mostly it's City, last year's LotR stuff (Uruk-Hai Army and Gandalf Arrives mainly). Interesting to see how it might not be doing as well in other areas, but here in Columbus they're hot.

So I know I'm not a regular here on the Chima board, but I thought it's interesting to see how many folks say Chima is a shelf warmer and whatnot. At my local Walmart, the Chimas are selling like hotcakes. At least if you compare with the City sets or some Star Wars offerings. There's even some of last year's City stuff left behind (Like the Dirt Bike Transporter, which is good because I need to get another one of those).

At my Walmart, it's the opposite. I've been compiling an album on how bad I presume Chima is selling. Everywhere I go that has Chima, it's not looking good.

The same goes for the the area I'm located. USA hasnt gotten the new Chima sets yet, rumor has it though (considering TRU has them) they should be available within the next 2 weeks.

The same goes for the the area I'm located. USA hasnt gotten the new Chima sets yet, rumor has it though (considering TRU has them) they should be available within the next 2 weeks.

The first two should, as they're online.

Chima seems to be doing well over here,the speedorz have evidence of selling, especially the nest dive, ice tower, and jungle gates. The sets seem to be varying, at one, the Eagle Interceptors are mostly gone, with an overload of lion vehicles, while the other one ten miles away is missing Craggers command ship and most lion stuff everyday.

So I think Chimas doing well here.

I feel like I've heard that from here, but I wouldn't be sure.

Looks cool, but I feel this is part of the shoving down our throats thing.

That article talks about how Lego knows that Chima will do well. Apparently they know something we don't.

That article talks about how Lego knows that Chima will do well. Apparently they know something we don't.

Someone said it here earlier, but Chima will become the "success" LEGO wants it to be if they keep putting money and focus into it.

The magazines have been awful lately. The editing is awful...

-Sci

Almost the ENTIRE new issue is either Chima or Hero Factory. There are other themes too..:ugh:

And the theme park? You're joking, how come Ninjago didn't get this treatment. Ninjago's easy to get right off the bat. Ninjas fighting snakes. (or skeletons or stone warriors but you get my point.)

Edited by Tolkien

Maybe it isn't selling as great as they planned because of the lack of episodes? Think of it, the last one was in March or so.

Maybe it isn't selling as great as they planned because of the lack of episodes? Think of it, the last one was in March or so.

Maybe. I think it's because people want Ninjago more. I was at Target a month or two back, and a boy and his sister were talking about this being a ripoff of Ninjago. Or, maybe they're just not appealing, or there's an overflow of sets/ Then again, we don't even know if it's not selling well. That's just our speculation.

My 7 year old brother is just starting to really get into the theme. He liked the fold out from the latest Club Magazine, and he has a few Speedorz sets. I have the feeling that the theme will start selling better all around as soon as the cartoon starts getting some regular air time.

And the theme park? You're joking, how come Ninjago didn't get this treatment.

If I remember correctly, Legoland Deutschland got the Ninjago treatment. They received a Pilot/Season1 based Miniland.

Also might I add that Chima's failure is only an assumption due to Lego's efforts to endorse it, and the lack of movement in the toy isles. Technically, Chima is selling like an ordinary action theme. It doesn't appeal to all. Ninjago had story and more life. That is why it moved off the shelves so quickly. Once Chima gets a firm footing in the media department (the MMOG is gonna be a big deal, trust me) Chima may just exceed our expectations.

However, with the recent development of a Ninjago movie (not to mention sets releasing in 2014), we will see how this all plays out. Chima may get it's audience, but once Ninjago gets back on those shelves with new sets, then we will see how Chima can survive.

Maybe. I think it's because people want Ninjago more. I was at Target a month or two back, and a boy and his sister were talking about this being a ripoff of Ninjago. Or, maybe they're just not appealing, or there's an overflow of sets/ Then again, we don't even know if it's not selling well. That's just our speculation.

To kids, everything is a ripoff of Ninjago. Look at the LEGO Message Boards. "Oh TMNT is a ripoff of Ninjago......" yeah it's not like TMNT came out about 30 years before Ninjago......:facepalm:

To kids, everything is a ripoff of Ninjago. Look at the LEGO Message Boards. "Oh TMNT is a ripoff of Ninjago......" yeah it's not like TMNT came out about 30 years before Ninjago...... :facepalm:

But there are also those who say Ninjago is a ripoff of Beyblade. And Chima being a ripoff of Thundercats. :sadnew:

But there are also those who say Ninjago is a ripoff of Beyblade. And Chima being a ripoff of Thundercats. :sadnew:

To be fair, it's almost certain that Ninjago drew inspiration from Beyblade (which was the previous "battle top" franchise to see that level of success), and that Chima drew inspiration from Thundercats. But different people draw the line at different places when it comes to what makes something a rip-off. Some people are very picky, and to them, anything remotely derivative is a rip-off. To others, it's not a rip-off until it's illegally trying to sell the exact same product under a new brand name.

The term "rip-off" gets tossed around somewhat haphazardly among younger kids, because they haven't been exposed to enough media to understand that everything is, in a certain sense, derivative. There aren't really any new ideas besides the ones you make by blending or juxtaposing the ideas that already exist in the human consciousness. That's the whole reason sites like TVTropes exist: to catalog those ideas that get shared around, revisited, or rediscovered over and over again.

Just one example that came up recently: to a kid, Hero Factory may seem like a rip-off of BIONICLE because it has mind-controlling parasites, because they have not become aware of the many decades of media exploring that concept before either of those themes existed.