CorneliusMurdock

Lego Superheroes 2013 Rumours & Discussion

No but it can be Extremis Savin since that is what the first word looks like, plus the name has a trademark so it isn't just some nobody pilot.

-Omi

It could be trademarked because Extremis is in the name. The second seems to be eight letters long, so it could be Extremis Eric Savin.

I don't get why people hate The Ultimate Battle set. I think it' s great. Sure Mandarin could be better but he looks decent enough and Iron Man is nice in that armour.

The fire breathing bumper car of doom is great however. I think that it is the best Super heroes set this size.

Edited by Krulis

The lack of a civilian Pepper and the female face in the Mark XLII makes it seem you can switch out who you want in the armour.

Hang on, isnt that lady in the white suit a "civillian" papper?

Hang on, isnt that lady in the white suit a "civillian" papper?

In the minfigure box line up yes. However, in the box art Pepper is nowhere to be seen, but a face similar to her's appears in the Iron Man suit.

Seriously contemplating getting the sea port battle. I have held off on the superhero stuff, despite my utter fandom. I'll be interested in what the DC sets are like.

why does everyone seem to dislike the sets :hmpf_bad: ? I think they look amazing :wub_drool:

I think when one puts these sets up against other licensed products from LEGO, it is pretty obvious they have put very little effort into the builds. The fire-trike is something I might've built when I was 12yo, with 45 minutes to spare and some extra bricks. The boat is ok...but it's just a boat. The helicopter is dumbed down version of a helicopter we already have. The mansion is a nice build and I'd have no problem with it, if it were 30% of the total build. Mandarin just looks...bad. I don't understand any defense of the figure, but I'd listen, if you or anyone had a reason why he isn't garbage.

Why do you think they look amazing?

Edited by Repeter

^apart from the hair and beard, the face print and body design is accurate to pics we've seen of the Mandarin.

Though the hair and beard are accurate to an extent, but not enough.

And really, do we have to use the "junoirized" arguement everytime a set we don't like, it's getting old.

And it's cool that we have different styles of helicopters, we had Joker's three bladed, Deadpool's four bladed, and now Mandarin's two bladed.

The builds will be good, i hate judging things based on pics, and i will be getting all the sets, i am a huge fan and want all the figs.

Mandarin isn't the worst figure out there. Realistically it's the hair and beard that's outrageously bad. Otherwise what we've seen of the printing looks pretty good and the colors of his clothing are pretty nice looking. His fire buggy looks ridiculous, but really most of the cheap sets are basically for character building (All the sets in this price point for the superheroes theme have been ridiculous, the Batman set was a remake and the Avengers set was a goofy looking motorcycle that Captain America never rode, so this seems pretty on par with what we've had so far).

My main problem with these sets is essentially the naming, all three names are incredibly misleading. Putting "Mansion" in a set that's more accurately a part of Tony Stark's lab is really a misstep in marketing (As is describing something as a sea port when really it's just a ship). Putting "Ultimate Showdown" in any set less than $50 is going to be misleading (When I hear Ultimate Showdown I think back to the big Spider man sets we got for the first two movies, so anything less will seem disappointing).

Although this makes me wonder if perhaps the marketing at the studio insisted on these names.

Edited by strangely

^apart from the hair and beard, the face print and body design is accurate to pics we've seen of the Mandarin.

Though the hair and beard are accurate to an extent, but not enough.

And really, do we have to use the "junoirized" arguement everytime a set we don't like, it's getting old.

And it's cool that we have different styles of helicopters, we had Joker's three bladed, Deadpool's four bladed, and now Mandarin's two bladed.

The builds will be good, i hate judging things based on pics, and i will be getting all the sets, i am a huge fan and want all the figs.

Lol, I'm new here, so I don't even know what '<insert that tiresome argument>' means. Sooo, may I use the arguement...just once, at least?

Further, sorry to disagree, but I really don't want three helicopters. These are super hero sets. I've been a fan of all things super hero since the mid-70s. Y'know what makes them cool, aside from their powers and costumes? Their bases/lairs, vehicles and gadgets. I wish TLG had decided to use the marvel source material, instead of these cheesy, rehashed vehicles we have all seen. A lot. A bigger mansion. Perhaps a little scenery from the movie? Anything new. Anything. We got old news.

Minifigs are pretty awesome though, despite the hair/beard for Mandarin, which is easily replaceable. In the end, I'll buy them, if for no other reason than to keep current with my collection and get the minis. I also want LEGO to make money on this endeavor, so they will make more. Hopefully, that 'more' will include some cool things to build, other than a wall of Tony's mansion.

Hmmm? If nothing else these sets will serve as a new potential contest. "Totally Tastless Superhero Bum Fights". I'm thinking Batman vs Samual LJackson in a wheelchair. "I AM MR. GLASS!". Next wave, "Captain America beats up a Hippie".

Hmmm? If nothing else these sets will serve as a new potential contest. "Totally Tastless Superhero Bum Fights". I'm thinking Batman vs Samual LJackson in a wheelchair. "I AM MR. GLASS!". Next wave, "Captain America beats up a Hippie".

Think we could get a Kimbo Slice minifig in there?

The Mandarin figure will proapbly look better without the beard piece (if he's got printed beard aswell)

Well, count me in for liking the Ultimate Showdown set. I can get Iron Man and the Mandarin for under $20 CAD (presumably); I get a cool little vehicle to shoot missiles at said Iron Man, and the parts selection looks good, especially for a smaller set. There's Technic bits and pieces, distinctive bits like the hose and steering, and also non-specific items, like the slopes, grilles, and wheels that are really flexible for building alternate models.

The Mandarin figure will proapbly look better without the beard piece (if he's got printed beard aswell)

I hope he has something resembeling a beard, but do any figures with beard pieces have a printed beard too?

It could be trademarked because Extremis is in the name. The second seems to be eight letters long, so it could be Extremis Eric Savin.

Then the trademark would be after Extremis, not the whole name.

-Omi

Ok, sorry to beat a dead horse. I've made clear how much I dislike these sets. I know, however, that is totally a matter of opinion. What isn't a matter of opinion, is how varied and even BIG some of the Lone Ranger sets are. Why would they give that movie so much cool stuff and give IM/Marvel fans the stuff we've seen? There is absolutely no comparison.

I am a big Marvel/super hero fan. I am a big LEGO fan. I'll probably buy anything they put on the shelves. Marvel movies have huge audiences. What do you guys think was behind the decision to make the IM3 line so chintzy? If the term 'chintzy' is too strong for you, replace it with 'small'.

Then the trademark would be after Extremis, not the whole name.

-Omi

Since the "confirmed" name is thought to be Extremis Soldier, i guess that Marvel would want that trademarked, it isn't as generic as Alien Foot Soldier.

Ok, sorry to beat a dead horse. I've made clear how much I dislike these sets. I know, however, that is totally a matter of opinion. What isn't a matter of opinion, is how varied and even BIG some of the Lone Ranger sets are. Why would they give that movie so much cool stuff and give IM/Marvel fans the stuff we've seen? There is absolutely no comparison.

I am a big Marvel/super hero fan. I am a big LEGO fan. I'll probably buy anything they put on the shelves. Marvel movies have huge audiences. What do you guys think was behind the decision to make the IM3 line so chintzy? If the term 'chintzy' is too strong for you, replace it with 'small'.

Because it's for kids, Lego is made mostly for kids.The have to be small and durable for kids not to break it. And The Lone Ranger is diseny's biggest gamble, so they're spending money like crazy trying to promote it. Second, Lego hasn't done anyhting western since 1998 i believe, so they wanna do it as big as they could. Third PoP and POTC got the same treatment as Lone Ranger Lego set wise.

And Lego, like other toy companies, makes mistakes with toys based on upcoming movies. Lego gets the original script major plot points, first pics, set designs, clips, and concept art. They aren't informed whenever the filmemakers decide to change something and therefore the sets have different things from the final film(ala Iron Man in LCCE set).

And the MoS has differences, MoS Supes doesn't have a curl, it's slick back. Zod's hair and outfit is different from the film.

Edited by daniel gourhan22

Here's my speculation on the matter. I think the size has to do with how many sets they put out per wave. Last years Avengers wave cost about $150. This year there are two big Superhero movies so we're seeing that $150 worth of product divided between them. Buying both IM3 and MOS sets will cost you about $150. It seems that Lego is willing to devote a certain amount of sets to the movies and so when there's multiple movies they intend to split it between them. So if they only have $75 worth of product they can devote to IM3 they want to split it in a way that they can get multiple sets into multiple price brackets (That way they hit the three big price marks that kids are going to get sets in). Sadly that means no big sets, rather the sets are released in smaller prices to get more kiddie's to buy them.

Also consider that this is Lone Rangers first wave (And potentially only wave). If Lego intends to get the most out of this line they're going to have to pull out all the stops and create the best sets they can for two reasons 1.To sell well even if the movie doesn't (Having these really unique and good looking sets will encourage people to buy even if they didn't care for the movie) and 2. If there's going to be more installments in the franchise you'll want people to still remember the first line to gain excitement for the eventual second. The first wave of any theme is a bet, so Lego has to make the most of it.

Superheroes had a similar thing happen it's first year, we had big sets, featuring locations and vehicles that were guaranteed to sell (They played it safe doing remakes of sets a lot of the time). But now since the theme is well established they don't have to constantly release sets that make people jump up and down. With this established fan base for the sets they can dial it back and still sell a lot. All they have to do is release an occasional off the wall good set and we'll keep coming back for more. Also the DC and Marvel franchises are so big that no matter how small and underwhelming the merchandising is people will still buy the sets. When something is wildly popular they don't have to try as hard or spend as much and people will still buy. Fortunately Lego is a quality company and they will go out of their way to service fans (But only to a limited point as the Lego Mandarin shows us).

I hope he has something resembeling a beard, but do any figures with beard pieces have a printed beard too?

Actually, in the past, it was the norm. And most of the time, the beard didn't completely hide the printed one.

The news about the upcoming Constitution train also contains something for us, it seems. Metropolis showdown:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Sorry, that's news that is 2 weeks old or more. nice to know their opinion on it.