Sign in to follow this  
Falconer

LotR with yellow heads/hands

Agreed. While I have an issue for a few of the head selections, it is nice to see which torsos will work, and which will not. Fortunately, it seems like the less expensive sets have torsos that will work.

I've already started to change the heads on my LOTR figures to yellow. I'm not a fan of the series but I do like castle sets.

I'm going to convert all the figures so that they fit in with my existing collection. I was considering painting the ears on the elves hair so that its yellow. After seeing that pic I'm going to get the paints out on the weekend. The flesh showing on the torsos doesn't bother me as I just think the figure is wearing an undershirt under their jackets.

I'm trying to use the modern yellow heads especially some of the heads from the Collectible Minifig line. They work pretty well on the LOTR characters. The CM faces have more expression on them than some of the plainer faces. I've used the head from the Bagpiper on Gandalf and still working out replacements for some of the faces so that the beards and eyebrows match their hair colours.

Just found this on Flickr

*snip*

Nice find. To me it looks like all of the torsos work with yellow heads just fine, I don't think the little bits of flesh that are showing look strange at all, in fact Aragorn's looks almost yellow (I could be wrong cause I'm color blind :tongue:). Some of the head choices are downright creepy (I'm looking at you Frodo, Merry, and Boromir) but I think Pippin and Aragorn's head choices are spot on.

I have collected for a really long time. I dont build mocs but I play with building other things to add on to my existing sets specially MMV and MVR sets. I aspire to one day have and awesome village to defend from ravaging hordes of baddies. when I first started getting set like POTC and LOTR i hated the fleshy heads. The through off my awesome village look with something different but the had great chest printing and with that added diversity to my peasants and such. my only gripe is I have about a million yellow heads that are unique and make a different guy and only so many fleshy one so its either turn everyone yellow or have some fleshy. I do like the new LOTR they look really great and I dont want to change them so I gripe and then play.

Well, I think the flesh (and other colors involved) look perfect for LOTR. The set designs reflect scenes and characters we saw in Peter Jackson's beautiful films. If, on the other hand, the films were never made, and all we had to go on was our own interpretations of Tolkien's stories, the designs could be a lot more open to interpretation. I guess that's what MOCing is for, yellow figs and all. :wink: Besides that, movies seem to be what makes product lines marketable. Minifigs should be made to look like their movie influences, and that is usually flesh.

The LOTR Legolas fig looks very similar to the Collectible Minifigure elf. Apart from a small adjustment to the eyebrows and more mascara on Legolas they are practically the same face.

Its an easy swap.

I'm still trying to find the best yellow faces to replace the pinkies.

Any suggestions?

As a lover of LotR and of LEGO minifigures but a hater of fleshies, I have resigned myself to trying the Sharpie method of yellowing offending neck lines and ears. I intend to protect the yellowed areas with satin coat. But I'll be testing it all on a redundant fleshy part first.

Since the images of the LotR minifigs were released, I've been buying heads mostly through BrickLink that might make good replacements. I'm not necessarily aiming for yellow equivalents of the fleshies. Rather, I'm trying to capture the essence of the characters and their predicaments as described by Tolkien and portrayed by Jackson.