wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Thanks for the pictures! :classic:

Edit: Argh, what happened to Gandalf's beard? It looks so much worse than on the box or this video

. The beard is cut off on the sides instead of going up and nearly connecting to the hat. Terrible! :sick:

I agree, Gandalf looks strange. However, I think that's so his beard can work with a hairpiece.

Hopefully we'll get future versions of him with his hair I think that's the most likely reason as to why it doesn't extend up to the hat.

Edited by Delta 38

I am not sure what to think about the gap between the horse's back legs and the main body. As great as it is with being moveable, this sort of disturbs me a bit. Bardings will hopefully fix that one day.

I still can't believe the common rohan soldier is as rare as any special character in the sets. I would like to get 8-10 of them, which would be easy if I were looking for uruks... His torso in combination with Eomers legs would make a fine new regular soldier, but for what a price.

Edit. The review showed that the horses hooves are are a bit rounded now. I like that.

Edited by Wardancer

Thanks for the pictures! Does Eomer really have the same head as the generic Rohan soldier or did you mix them up when taking the photo? On the box art, Eomer clearly has a different face. :oh:

I hope this won't be a common problem like Qui-Gon having Obi-Wan's face in the Republic Cruiser a couple years back.

I hope this won't be a common problem like Qui-Gon having Obi-Wan's face in the Republic Cruiser a couple years back.

I didn't know this sort of thing happened before. Did the mix-up happen in every box? Or just in many, and you'd get a replacement by LEGO?

I'd have to look for an alternative head as the one shown in sidersdd's picture simply doesn't fit Eomer. The full beard is out of place, but even more so, I can't think of a worse expression for Eomer than the insecure look upon the Rohan soldier's face.

Received Gandalf Arrives, Shelob Attacks, and Uruk-hai Army sets today. Posted photos of the figs on my flickr feed.

Thanks!

Oh, I didn't know Eomer's helmet had a leathery backside. Amazing!

Wow! That video review makes me excited to get the set! I really can't wait for the video games, though. I know that there has been discussion on it before, but I still wonder if the Hobbit will be included in it.

Thanks for the pictures! Does Eomer really have the same head as the generic Rohan soldier or did you mix them up when taking the photo? On the box art, Eomer clearly has a different face. :oh:

Edit: Argh, what happened to Gandalf's beard? It looks so much worse than on the box or this video

. The beard is cut off on the sides instead of going up and nearly connecting to the hat. Terrible! :sick:

Doh, I did mess up the heads. They are similar, but are indeed different. I'll update the photo.

That project case is odd. They spelled Uruk-hai wrong! :laugh:

Thanks for the links!

They've also made the mistake of including the Uruk-hai set in the Helms Deep picture. This was an image I found misleading when promo images were released. Obviously these sets are designed to go together, but that image implies the Helms deep set contains 4 more Orcs and 2 more soldiers than it actually does.

What is the project case? A LOTR labelled lego box?

Edited by andhe

Minifigures are pretty. :wub_drool: Must. Buy. Sets. Thanks for the pictures! I love all of the figures in this line.

I fixed the Eomer pics on my flickr feed. And got Gandalf's head to sit lower - needed to "snap" it into the beard. Sorry about that - was in a hurry last night.

Will try and get Mines of Moria pics up tonight.

I fixed the Eomer pics on my flickr feed. And got Gandalf's head to sit lower - needed to "snap" it into the beard. Sorry about that - was in a hurry last night.

Thanks, Gandalf and Eomer look much better now.

Really impressed by the Eomer and Rohan minifigures. Eomer looks like he might have the prettiest torso of any LOTR minifigure.. Lovely details.

This may upset a few users but I can't help to dislike the Eomer minifig. I just don't like it. The torso is cool but the head looks nothing like him (watching LOTR at the time of post) plus the helmet is movie inaccurate. :cry_sad: I am also disappointed by Gandalf who doesn't look right in regard of the head and beard with the hat. They should have included his hair. On the positive side, I believe that the Frodo figure is stunning and although it doesn't really look like Sean Astin, Sam Gamgee is a cool fig.

Those are some nice pictures Sidersdd. Thanks for sharing them.

I have to say, the minifigures look like they’d have great parts for other themes (Castle, Pirates, Wild West etc.) so I'm really looking forward to them.

Edited by Walt

This may upset a few users but I can't help to dislike the Eomer minifig. I just don't like it. The torso is cool but the head looks nothing like him (watching LOTR at the time of post) plus the helmet is movie inaccurate. :cry_sad: I am also disappointed by Gandalf who doesn't look right in regard of the head and beard with the hat. They should have included his hair. On the positive side, I believe that the Frodo figure is stunning and although it doesn't really look like Sean Astin, Sam Gamgee is a cool fig.

I can definitely see where you're coming from. Personally, I think all of the figures look great in the respects of how Lego tried to present them. Gandalf could've used his long hair, definitely, but during those scenes he wore his hat. What could we expect, yet another molded piece? Ohh well, hopefully they'll come up with an alternative for him in the future, although I don't know about that alternative appearing in The Hobbit wave. Also, I agree that Samwise looks odd compared to his film counterpart, and I think it's due to the length of his hairpiece. Using the same hair as Merry, Frodo, and Pippin, it gives the illusion of him being the same size, when he was, of course, larger with a fatter face. Sam's hair had the same overall shape as the other three, but it looks too big on the minifigure. Despite these details, though, I'm really enjoying them, and think they all look great; I look forward to seeing whether they hold up to this notion in person. :sweet:

I can definitely see where you're coming from. Personally, I think all of the figures look great in the respects of how Lego tried to present them. Gandalf could've used his long hair, definitely, but during those scenes he wore his hat. What could we expect, yet another molded piece? Ohh well, hopefully they'll come up with an alternative for him in the future, although I don't know about that alternative appearing in The Hobbit wave. Also, I agree that Samwise looks odd compared to his film counterpart, and I think it's due to the length of his hairpiece. Using the same hair as Merry, Frodo, and Pippin, it gives the illusion of him being the same size, when he was, of course, larger with a fatter face. Sam's hair had the same overall shape as the other three, but it looks too big on the minifigure. Despite these details, though, I'm really enjoying them, and think they all look great; I look forward to seeing whether they hold up to this notion in person. :sweet:

Thanks for the comment. I agree with your Samwise theory but why no just use that generic grey hair which fits over the generic beard for Gandalf?

Thanks for the comment. I agree with your Samwise theory but why no just use that generic grey hair which fits over the generic beard for Gandalf?

Well, my thoughts about it are due to the reasons he has his hat in the film. I remember hearing Peter Jackson say on the DVD commentary for Fellowship that Gandalf had his hat on to symbolize how happy of a world Middle Earth was, since Gandalf always had his pointed hat on in The Hobbit. When he lost his hat in Moria, it was used to represent how dangerous of a journey they were actually embarking on. However, I'm sure Lego just did it because that's what the scene was :laugh: I am really curious as to how he looks with the long grey hair; if it looks decent, Lego could've very well added it to the set. Additionally, if they made a smaller beard (which was most likely made larger for the upcoming dwarves), a grey Serena/Elizabeth Swann hair would've looked amazing on him :look: I'm really hoping for a white Qui-Gon hair if they ever decide to do a set featuring Gandalf the White, though...

Received Gandalf Arrives, Shelob Attacks, and Uruk-hai Army sets today. Posted photos of the figs on my flickr feed.

If I had more time I'd do a detailed review. Work is kicking my butt though.

Mines of Moria coming tomorrow.

Thank you for posting the pictures. Does the ring fit around a minifig arm?

Wow, am I seeing that right? TRU is selling Helm's Deep for more $$$ than nearly all of the Modular buildings? Jeez.

The real crime is $80 for Weathertop.... :look: That's as much as a normally-priced Moria.

When you have time, could you get one of the Rohan soldier torso with Eomer's legs? :sweet: These are the best pics we've had so far.

The real crime is $80 for Weathertop.... :look: That's as much as a normally-priced Moria.

When you have time, could you get one of the Rohan soldier torso with Eomer's legs? :sweet: These are the best pics we've had so far.

I'll try to remember tonight to get that pic. Thanks for the compliment on the photos.

BTW, (I don't think I saw this earlier), Target.com has them all (including Orc Forge) for pre-order. Become available next Wednesday.