I can only pester lego for the parts I want for so long

the solution, of course, is to order your own custom elements or modify an existing element.... how is that purist, again?

i wonder to what extent custom elements might inhibit tlg from releasing similar elements. as i understand it, they don't accept unsolicited designs so as to avoid copyright issues. pre-existing custom elements may carry liability for tlg.

KEvron

I doubt that is true. Years ago, Barman (Barry Bosman) posted these ideas for new Lego Technic parts on his Brickshelf gallery. Note that one of the parts shown DID COME TRUE (as Part 87082 shown below), and I see the very "3L Technic Connector with 2 Axles and Center Pin Hole" that is available from Shapeways.

15_bush_with_1_or_2__pin_or_cross_axle.jpg87082.jpg

I doubt that is true. Years ago, Barman (Barry Bosman) posted these ideas for new Lego Technic parts on his Brickshelf gallery. Note that one of the parts shown DID COME TRUE (as Part 87082 shown below), and I see the very "3L Technic Connector with 2 Axles and Center Pin Hole" that is available from Shapeways.

The top left one would be an asset to my parts collection!! Maybe I should contact Barman (recently he registered at Eurobricks, if I am not mistaken) to see whether he would like to share his models. Of course, Paul has a solution if you really need such a part default_laugh_new.gif

Edit: I have sent Barman a message

As for my current order...

We thought you would like to receive an update of your order with order number x. The production of your products(s) has started.

They are already producing my parts, so I hope to receive them before my vacation next Thursday. Hopefully I can provide you with some details early next week.

Edited by Gekke Ted

That's right. They use a 3D printer to make prototype parts then pay for the expensive mould to make the finalised mass produced versions. Remember the pictures of the prototypes for the unimog? You may have noticed that some of the new parts were an off white colour, typical of a 3D printed part. So I guess if Lego does it, it's fine for a purist to do it!

I'm a fan of the whole 3d printing process and I think it would be fine to print unique Lego pieces for certain MOC's. I might be considered a TFOL and i love the lego hobby in general, but more often I find the medium of Lego to be the most suitable to the project I am trying to work on.. thus it wouldn't matter for such a project whether or not that piece was actually Lego. Although I can certainly see how printing pieces to fit a MOC goes against the attitude of designing a build to fit the palette of pieces you may have.

that's a pretty loose definition of purist. reminds me of a steven wright joke: "this is the hatchet which george washington used to chop down the cherry tree. i've had to replace the handle three times, and the head twice.... but it occupies the same space."

KEvron

Haha default_laugh_new.gif I love that joke!

It's as loose as a sausage in an alleyway but hey, I can only pester lego for the parts I want for so long :laugh:

I understand your situation.. I've seen all your posts about future parts default_blink.gif

The top left one would be an asset to my parts collection!! Maybe I should contact Barman (recently he registered at Eurobricks, if I am not mistaken) to see whether he would like to share his models. Of course, Paul has a solution if you really need such a part default_laugh_new.gif

default_tong.gif

They are already producing my parts, so I hope to receive them before my vacation next Thursday. Hopefully I can provide you with some details early next week.

I look forward to seeing how these parts turn out.

3D printing at home. Check out this printer. Would love to test it with some Lego parts.

http://cubify.com/index.aspx

That's pretty cool! A friend of mine built his own rep-rap printer, but I don't think the precision is there for custom LEGO parts.

I'd like to make a gear that slides easily along axles. It would be nice for telescopic booms, etc.

3D printing at home. Check out this printer. Would love to test it with some Lego parts.

http://cubify.com/index.aspx

That's pretty cool! A friend of mine built his own rep-rap printer, but I don't think the precision is there for custom LEGO parts.

I've been looking into 3D printers like the MakerBot, the Cube (from Cubify), Solidoodle, and the RepRap ones for a while in hopes that I could make one of my own.. I had always hoped to print my own lego pieces but, like Daniel suggested, the cheaper printing technique that is employed in all of these printers results in a lower quality print that would not be suitable for the precision necessary to make legos.

I hope I am not to derailing the thread.. default_laugh2.gif

I've been looking into 3D printers like the MakerBot, the Cube (from Cubify), Solidoodle, and the RepRap ones for a while in hopes that I could make one of my own.. I had always hoped to print my own lego pieces but, like Daniel suggested, the cheaper printing technique that is employed in all of these printers results in a lower quality print that would not be suitable for the precision necessary to make legos.

I was afraid of that. Having your own Lego printer for 1200 USD would be the holy grail for some of us default_laugh_new.gif

I hope I am not to derailing the thread.. default_laugh2.gif

No worries. I am exploring the realm of 3D printing and creating custom Lego parts, so failure is part of the process :wink: