Sign in to follow this  
Scubacarrot

Heroica RPG - Quest #23: Guarding the Guards

Righty-ho. We need to find some place we can't get into... strokes chin ... Perhaps we should go back to that place we found the drunk man? :look:

When Auntie says "vault", does Auntie mean "cool place with good loot" or "portal to hell that unleashes unfathomable evil"? Cronk think Cronk already knows answer but Cronk just want to make sure before Cronk gets depressed about situation.

When Auntie says "vault", does Auntie mean "cool place with good loot" or "portal to hell that unleashes unfathomable evil"? Cronk think Cronk already knows answer but Cronk just want to make sure before Cronk gets depressed about situation.

" :laugh: I think we can assume we'll get depressed. And then have our arses kicked. :sad:

I agree Rufindel, let's go back to where the drunken guy was and see if we can find somewhere to apply this Strivvian Keystone."

6882850411_8c1e1e738b_t.jpg

"My friends, you are terribly mistaken, the keystones, and their vaults are ancient. No one has been able to recreate the technology used in them. There is no way there is a vault in Eubric. Closest place you can possibly find one is Strivvi, a six week boat trip from here!"

There is some undivided loot.

"My friends, you are terribly mistaken, the keystones, and their vaults are ancient. No one has been able to recreate the technology used in them. There is no way there is a vault in Eubric. Closest place you can possibly find one is Strivvi, a six week boat trip from here!"

There is some undivided loot.

"Oh, then I guess it's back to the docks with us, to either investigate further or find a boat to Strivvi wherever that is. If we get to keep the Magnifying Glass, then Atramor can have it and he can be our official trap finder. :tongue: "

"Certainly not! That is MY Magnifying glass, thank you very much. And your idea is ludicrous, to say the least. Do you have any idea of the costs of a journey to Strivvi? Not to mention finding a ship that goes there! And don't get me started on the impossibility of it all. You have no idea where this vault is, do you? "

Edited by Scubacarrot

But key is here and evil that making guards vanish here. Why would vault be so far away? Cronk want to know what so special about Strivvi. Why is trip so expensive?

McCafferey watches with great disdain the party go on and on about Strivvi and this keystone. She speaks quietly, with barely-concealed irritance, to Atramor, who voices her thoughts with a somewhat concerned glance out the window.

"Er...how the hell are we gonna get out of here without choppin' our way through a pack of Wolfgang guys?"

"How would I know how this invaluable item ended up here? Strivvi is a city-state, build on top of the ruins of an ancient civilization. The city is a freeport, much like Eubric, but less stable, it is in constant conflict. The place is a paradise for slavers, THAT is why the trip is so expensive. Tell you what, have your employer contact me. I can try to lay contact with an expert on the keystones and their vaults."

So, is this keystone vital to our quest, or is it some kind of russet-coloured oily seawater fish?

I can't imagine our employer is going to be too interested in arranging contact with any ancient-vault-experts, as it hardly seems relevant to the task in hand, but I guess there is no harm in asking.

Should we go back to Cap'n Pat? Once we've dealt with those pesky Wolfgangers, that is. :hmpf: Or is there another way out of here?

"I'm kind of hoping the Wolfgang will have just wandered off by now, but yeah if there's another way out of here, that'd be handy.

So it's a ridiculous idea to go to Strivvi (apparently), but I don't think going back to Acting Captain Patricia and saying 'Hey, I know we've been gone ages, but we found this Keystone to a hidden vault in a city faaaar away, that we have no hope of getting to - oh the guards? Dunno about them, sorry' will garner any rejoicing. We know the guards were disappearing from the docks area, and we know there's a connection between a missing guard and Strivvi (the keystone and a guard's helmet were found together) and this dude tells us that there are slavers in Strivvi. It seems plausible to me that the guards are being abducted and exported as slaves, but I think we're going to need some evidence for our employers to believe us.

So, I suggest that we find a way out of here (bypassing the Wolfgang) and investigate the docks area further. If we still come up empty handed, then we can go and talk to Acting Captain Patricia."

"Errm, that door is the only way out, I am afraid, and those wolfgang are still there."

Pandora, can you please divide the loot?

With nothing else to do inside the Antiquarian's, the party decides to just go out and face the Wolfgang. It is not like they have other options anyway. Outside, the Wolfgang circles around the party, weapons raised. Donny Dozenhands, who seems to be commanding this group, signals something, and the weapons are lowered. He steps forward, with weapons loosely in hand, he starts talking:

6882849801_59eca5d3fa_n.jpg

"Greetings... Heroes. Lady Nyx, you look lovely today, there is something in your hair, though. Gibbin... Nice stunt, earlier, too bad it was for naught. Cronk, an Orcish Paladin, now there is something you don't see every day. And... You must be Galadhras, it is hard to tell, that oversized helmet is covering most of your face. I'm sure you know who I am, I have met with your kind before. But let's skip further pleasantries. I want that Keystone. Hand it over, and everyone walks away, no one gets hurt."

Edited by Scubacarrot

Greetings, Mr. Doznehands. Mr. Dozenhands seems to be very well informed. Cronk does not wish to bash anyone needlessly so if Mr. Dozenhands could get out of Party's way... Party still has mystery to solve. Speaking of which, any information that Mr. Dozenhands has that Mr. Dozenhands could tell party would be nice. Might smooth hostilities over.

For a split second, Dozenhands seems confused, then he replies:

6882849923_cb53777262_t.jpg

"Are you serious? Here is my offer, you give me the Keystone, you get to live. Seems like a good deal to me. Believe me when I say you do not want the Wolfgang as an enemy."

Before she forgets (even more than she already has :blush: ), and completely surreptitiously so that the Wolfgang don't see, Nyx tosses a bone each to Cronk and Atramor, and 3 Gold to Cronk and Rufindel, 2 Gold to Atramor and keeps 2 Gold for herself. That done, she fixes Donny with a smile of pure loveliness and benevolence. :sweet:

"Donny, how fabulous to meet you, I've heard chitter-chatter about you around Heroica - rumours and so forth. Don't mind the stuff in my hair, it's just the remains of the last creepy-crawlie who tried to face me down. It really would be in your best interests to listen to lovely Mr Cronk here. We don't want anyone as an enemy, but those who end up our enemies, well let's just say they aren't our enemies very long. I'm really quite tired, today has been quite draining so far and it's taken us quite a bit of effort just to determine that this is a keystone - which you seem to know off the bat.

What I would really like to happen is that you tell us everything you know about the keystone, and if you do then we will consider letting you walk away from this."

Nyx continues smiling throughout, maintaining an expression of utter innocence and kindness.

"Sigh. Threats, always so charming. I give you one last chance to reconsider. I like to point out you outnumbered, surrounded, and there are snipers on the rooftops. you don't stand a chance."

Nyx turns to her team-mates for their opinions and counsel.

"It would seem that we are facing an impossible fight, and much as I feel in my heart this is the wrong thing to do, I fear we have no choice but to hand the damnable keystone to Dozenhands. Have any of you other ideas? Can anyone see another way out of this? I don't think we could get to the land where the vault the keystone unlocks is, so I don;t think we're necessarily losing anything (and we can all assume the vault contained a big monster and no loot, right?), but I just don't like helping these guttersnipes. :sad:

Please, friends, any other ideas?"

Rufindel considers the options.

A. 'Keystone? What Keystone?'

B. 'Surrender? In our moment of triumph? Nevaaaaaaahhhhh!'

C. 'Here, have it. But beware, it carries a terrrrrible cuuuurrrse!'

D. Throw it over there and run.

I think D. I doubt it's going to be much use to us, anyhow. :sceptic:

Forgot to mention, options B and C come with various forms of maniacal laughter. And A comes with ' :innocent: '

Atramor merely glares at Donny from afar before whispering hurriedly to his party.

"I don't think we should give this gold-toothed megablock a single coin. This keystone's seemingly important, or at the least very valuable. If ya'll are willing to play 'noble, sacrificial hero', I'll take the thing and leg it back to the guardhouse. If there's one things rogue can do, it's get the hell out of somewhere while 'is his team's gettin' the pulp beaten outta them..."

Cronk not think party need worry so much. (Cronk not believe thing about snipers anyway. Why snipers not prevent friends from entering Auntie's shop?) But Cronk will defer to majority. Cronk would hate to part with keystone only to need it later.

The party decides to not give up the keystone, with two votes to zero. Dozenhands speaks:

"You made your choice. Very well."

He then turns to the man next to him, and says:

"Barr, I got to handle the assault. I trust you to handle this."

"But, I am not yet.."

"Silence. Just handle it, meet up with me later."

Dozenhands then throws a smoke bomb on the ground. When the smoke clears up, Dozenhands is nowhere to be seen, and the remaining Wolfgang are in offensive position. On nearby rooftops, the heroes can make out two men with crossbows, the snipers Dozenhands mentioned.

PREPARE FOR BATTLE!

6882850177_bb10f038ae.jpg

Enemies:

6882850177_bb10f038ae.jpg

Barr Handle

Type: Humanoid

Level: 18

Health: 180/180

Special:
Surge of Rage
- negates all incoming damage for the next turn, and regains 30 health every time he would have taken damage.

Drops: Black Katana, Wooden Shield, ???

Wolfgang Swordsman A

Level: 7

Health: 60/60

Special: Raised Shield: Protects himself and a random ally from all damage for the next turn, this makes the swordsman unable to dish out free hits.

Drops: Wooden Shield

Wolfgang Swordsman B

Health: 60/60

Special: Raised Shield: Protects himself and a random ally from all damage for the next turn, this makes the swordsman unable to dish out free hits.

Drops: Wooden Shield

Wolfgang Spearman

Health: 74/74

Special:
Dirty Stomp
- Stuns for the next round.

Drops: 5 gold

Wolfgang Pikeman

Level: 8

Health 68/68

Special:
Cleave
- Deals 5 damage regardless of Row or SP, and stuns for the next round.

Drops: 5 gold

Wolfgang Crossbowman A

Health: 65/65

Special:
Precision Shot
- deals 7 damage, regardless of Row or SP

Drops: 10 gold

Wolfgang Crossbowman B

Health: 65/65

Special:
Precision Shot
- deals 7 damage, regardless of Row or SP

Drops: 10 gold

Wolfgang Halberdeer

Level: 6

Health: 79/79

Special:
Swipe
: Deals 5 damage to all heroes, regardless of Row or SP

Drops: nothing

Wolfgang Sniper A

Health: 50/50

Special: Snipe: Deals damage to the amount equal to the target's SP x2, disregards SP.

Wolfgang Sniper B

Health: 50/50

Special: Snipe: Deals damage to the amount equal to the target's SP x2, disregards SP.

Party

6882536309_34131623d7_t.jpg

Cronk (played by Corneliusmurdock)

Level 17.5 Paladin

Power: 29

SP:

Health:
37/37

Ether:
9/18

Gold:

Inventory:
Zoot's Bane (WP:12, Light), Healing Staff (WP:5 Healing effect), Sword of Bashing (WP:5), Bloody Pointy Stick (WP:1), Ennoc's Blessing (Shield, SP:7), Elaborate Helmet (SP:2), Heavy Crossbow(WP:8, Knockback), Potion x2, Holy Bomb, Phoenix Essence, Bedroll, Paralyzing Venom, Bone

6021867482_37ed63cbf4_t.jpg

Nyx (played by Pandora)
Party Leader

Level 16.5 Battle Mage

Power:

SP:
-

Health:
26/26

Ether:
12/21

Gold:

Inventory:
Book of a Thousand Creatures(WP:12, each roll has a 1/6 chance to summon a creature to aid the hero, only one creature can be out, summoning it costs 3 ether.), Dawnstar II (WP:9), Longsword (WP:6), Sandman's Parasol (grants immunity to sleep), Helmet(+1 health), Ruby(Fire), Amethyst(Darkness), Topaz(Lightning), Sapphire(Wind), Emerald(Wood), Potion x2, Remedy, Tonic x2, Holy Bomb, Bedroll, Bone x5

6046036799_13ec297413_t_d.jpg

Atramor Gibbin (played by CallMePieOrDie)

Level 16 Rogue

Power:

SP:

Health:
23/23

Ether:
-

Gold:

Inventory:
Leachfeather (WP:7 Fire, Wind, restores 2 health on hit), Shiv(WP: 4, can be used as both a melee and a throwing weapon.)Cloak of the Elven Spy(Allows wearer to see an NPC's stats from afar), Sand Worm Hide(SP:2), Bone x2, Nutritious Banana, Venom

5909786980_7e1e6811fb_t.jpg

Rufindel Galadhras (played by Rufus)

Level 12.5 Cleric

Power:

SP:

Health:
20/20

Ether:
11/16

Gold:

Inventory:
Malfunctioning Staff(WP:12
on successful roll, has 50% chance to do half of WP damage to self instead(ignoring row and SP),
Warlord's Helmet( SP:2 grants 'Natural Respite', Fauxthril Staff(WP:7)
Potion x2, Remedy x1, Bone x2, Pickaxe, Tonic x2, Bedroll, Scroll of Sealing, Venom

Party Leader, choose the order of action.

All of you, choose your targets and the row you want to fight in. Also mention if you want to try to flee, heal or cast a magic spell, or if you want to use an item instead of attacking.

Any enemy not targeted will get a Free Hit on the party after everyone have acted.

Nyx surveys the Wolfgang, noting that they didn't seem too confident now that their leader had run away. She counts the ten enemies, assessing which one she'd like to punch in the face first, and then with a weary sigh she shakes a few more bits of dead frog out of her hair and plans the opening gambit with her allies.

"To my mind we would definitely not want Barr Handle, the two Swordsmen and possibly the Pikeman to be dishing out free hits. This notwithstanding, I plan to initially focus on the Snipers - their special will not hurt me at all as I have no SP, so that makes sense to me. Cronk, as our heaviest hitter and best defender, I would feel most confident if you gave that rapscallion Barr Handle a lesson in manners. Rufindel, Atramor, choose whomever you wish.

As I alluded earlier, I shall cast Darkness magic on Sniper A from the back row, using the power of my new book (which is a fascinating read by the way, and has lots of pretty pictures of gruesome things doing gruesome things to other gruesome things). Let's hope for a few visits from Cronk's beautiful angel and a few miracles from Rufindel. :sceptic: "

Party Order:

Cronk

Atramor

Nyx

Rufindel

I'll hit Swordsman A from the Front Row. If he uses his Special, hopefully it'll take out a free hit from one of the others. :sceptic: