Sign in to follow this  
Si-MOCs

Darth Maul EP1 Mosaic Build

Forgive me if there's a specific thread for this sorta thing... I scanned through a few pages and didn't find any.

Anyways I thought you guys might enjoy this:

--

So to celebrate the release of EP1 in 3D, LEGO had a Darth Maul Mosaic build at a local theatre...

I was on my way to check it out before heading to the LEGO store when I get a txt:

"Get over to the cineplex now!!!!! we need help!!!!!!"

So I get there around 5pm and couldn't find the stupid build!

It's not in the front, it's not in the party rooms... I start looking around and found it BEHIND the ticket checkpoint.

When I Got there it was probably about 60-70% done. With an hour to go. OY.

So I did my best "Hey look behind you" trick to the ticket agent and got into the build zone. I was meet by none other than my Arch-Hero and we get down to building business. 6x6 plates. All built by 1x1 bricks - with very very difficult to see spray paint design... once the plate was built -it goes on the big board.

6873302421_d85df76900_z.jpg

At 5:45 our progress. We can't finish by 6 so we decided to just put the plates in! so it SORTA looks okay.

Not bad. It was decided - to keep going anyways - so we started building ON the actual board... since all the plates were already put in....

6873305561_bc1cf1d41a_z.jpg

While the start, everyone working on the board made sense... but we _litterally_ built ourselves into a corner...

Which was highly amusing as we reached a critical mass where there were too many hands and bricks flying around to fill the bottom right corner.

6873316095_a1f7eb2f65_z.jpg

And at 6:51EST - after 8 hours, 51 minutes, Five LBR employees, (2 of which bravely stuck around for a double shift), One LBR employee who happened to be seeing a movie, two AFOLs, one super dedicated kid, and one REALLLY annoyed mother were able to finish off the build!

6873339745_871b9dc19e_z.jpg

(many others helped, but the last two hours was mainly the above).

Fun times but my hands still feel the pain.

I don't want to even know how the 2 brave employees are doing....

Fun!

Oh and for those that were curious all the bricks were cleverly stowed away on the reverse side:

6873327701_bd27f31f19_z.jpg

Suffice to say, the store was definitely closed by the time I was done :(

Well since Si-Mocs only posted the glamour shots, here’s the down and dirty of it, including some bad hat hair.

img_5032.jpg

ToroLUG was having our monthly meeting near by, after the build. So I stopped by early to take a few pictures. There I found DarthNick in a panic dripping in Lego sweat. So I pushed my way past security, palm to the face, stating there was a Lego emergency and, “Some one called for The Doctor!” I jumped in elbows deep into Lego and realized how disparate the situation really was as my fingers begun to cramp from 30 minutes of crushing thousands of 1x1’s onto 6x6 plates at un-human speed. I yelled to DarthNick, “I’m a doctor not a priest! You need…

A Miracle!”

So he texted 911 and said, “Help! Can you find some one with a pulse and working knowledge of the Art of Brick.” To which they replied that they didn’t have anyone like that, but that they’d send Si-Mocs.”

Si-Moc’s arrived and I taught him how to place a brick at time into the holes on the wounded plates. With his steady hand and youthful courage, we patched up the bleeding mosaic. The day was saved! Well that’s how DarthNick tells the story at least. :laugh:

img_5033.jpg

Edited by Rook

One of our VicLUG stalwarts (he's also our Ambassador) helped with the build in Vancouver, BC. They managed to finish just after 6:00 pm local time thanks to lots of volunteer help from members of the 501st Legion. The LEGO store in Vancouver is not open yet so the effort was led by Jenn (The Brick Chick) who is going to school in Victoria right now.

6867542987_7cd6d4a99a_m.jpg

Edited by tedbeard

Yeah public space is vital in a build like this. On this build they were limited to people that were standing in line waiting for the Star Wars 3D movie. Not sure if it was Lego staff that picked the spot or Cineplex staff but that was a poor decision, since you could only access the build if you had a ticket. Which Si-Mocs and I avoided by using simple force techniques. :tongue:

Lovely mosaic. From the story it seems like it was quite an adventure completing it. :wink:

If my math is right it was 28,512 1x1 bricks.

Or 29,305 including the plates.

Yeah I heard that Jenn did the other one ... hehe looking at yours and looking at ours, I think VicLUG did a better job :laugh:

You can tell that it's the emperor in the shadow on yours... our is just grey mess ... and if you look closely you can totally tell where we just started randomly filling in black :innocent:

But that's part of the memory and the fun :grin:

Well since Si-Mocs only posted the glamour shots, here’s the down and dirty of it, including some bad hat hair.

*SOME* of us were too busy actually Building to take non glamour shots...

OH and to ruin the magic... the picture of ROOK was STAGED

STAGED!

I built those plates. If you look carefully it is clear that they are already built...

Edit:

Sounds like another one in Chicago finished around 10:30pm ... :wall:

Edited by SI-mocs

If my math is right it was 28,512 1x1 bricks.

Or 29,305 including the plates.

That's awesome. Thanks for the computations! :sweet:

Hello -

Amazing mosaic!! I'm really new to this so forgive me if the question is dumb...

Did you guys have some sort of a pattern to work from or was it all just 'by eye?'

Were these standard lego pieces or had they been painted in any way?

Great job and I look forward to hearing your answers :)

Hello -

Amazing mosaic!! I'm really new to this so forgive me if the question is dumb...

Did you guys have some sort of a pattern to work from or was it all just 'by eye?'

Were these standard lego pieces or had they been painted in any way?

Great job and I look forward to hearing your answers :)

Well this was provided by LEGO to build the pattern - so we got little 6x6 plates that had the colours of the 1x1 bricks spray painted on it.

You finish a 6x6 plate -then goes into the big board!

These were ALL standard LEGO pieces - entirely 1x1s and 6x6 plates

Though at the end cause we were rushing we just filled things in by eye.

SHHH :blush::devil: