Blastem

LEGO GBC Balls vs Round Plastic 14 mm Collar Beads made in China

Original Topic in english here and in spanish here

Given the aggressive growth of the price of the above official LEGO balls, I decided to find low cost alternative for people who do not like to spend an average of 40 cents (yes, 0.40 €) per ball.

x45pb03.jpgbb84pb02.jpg

With this idea I wrote to several manufacturers in Europe... the answer I received, the cheapest cost came from the 20000 balls.

Then I started to ask Chinese manufacturers, and yes, came to less than 0.01 € but put in the port of Valencia.

As I amnot obviously still crazy enough to ask for 800 euros of plastic spheres, or coordinate an order among all LUGs in Europe since abandoned the idea, but I had another.

Known is the hobby of many people to make necklaces, combined with the internet that made ​​seek "beads" in this format: Spherical, smooth, with little 14mmde diameter tolerance.

And dude, I found ... of all types, color, shape, etc ... leaving the smooth spherical with a hole. (Click to enlarge)

normal_bolas1c.jpg

normal_bolas2.jpg

The only difference I have is that officials have the mold grooves to make them look more real, and the injection site, which in the case of officers is something "ugly" and the beads are not appreciated. Besides, as the name suggests has a through hole to make necklaces

About the price ... as well have said, is no longer the price ball itself, but must add the great difficulty to find them in large numbers. Well, I won this auction at the nice price of 2.30 € the 100 balls (What is being 0.023 per ball). It seems a reasonable price.

Anyway there are multiple and beautiful colors to choose from, you can make a beautiful necklace for your favourite girl for less than one euro.

normal_bolas4.jpg

They are sold up to 20 colors at 5 cents a unit, if we represent graphically this is. (The 2 bags worth the same as what you see in the tray)

normal_bolas3.jpg

Conclusion: Lords of LEGO, you should consider "unbury" the mold of the balls in question, especially knowing that there is demand at events. In a piece lugbulk would succeed, and did not say if sold in a pack or a set GBC ...

As if there was any doubt, the beads work perfectly in the modules

For my part, I will start using this in the draft and official to complete projects and events

Besides, I created a project to ask LEGO cusoo the reedition, I would appreciate your vote on cuusoo following this link:

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/7753

Cheers!!!

Edited by Blastem
Images tags removed

Sorry dude, but your pictures are waaaaay too large. I've removed the image tags.

Please resize the pictures to a maximum 800x600 px (there's a link in my signature to the tutorials index if you don't know how to do that); then feel free to repost them :sweet:

Also, we don't allow animated GIFs to be used as avatars, so please replace it with a still image (I've removed it for now).

Thanks for your cooperation!

Please resize the pictures to a maximum 800x600 px (there's a link in my signature to the tutorials index if you don't know how to do that); then feel free to repost them :sweet:

Sorry, dind´t realize about size and don't know about avatar. Hope all solved right :)

I like your idea about using substitute 14mm balls. :thumbup: I agree with you -- people should spend their money on the Lego Great Ball Contraption modules, and not on the balls costing ~0.40 Euro each! The multiple colors available in 14mm beads will help one follow the path of individual balls through the GBC.

:classic: Nice topic for GBC builders, I'm considering that, and I hope the GBC balls project reach at least 500 supporters soon!