mortesv

From Death Star II to Minifig - a Journey through Scale

Great to see this done! :thumbup:

I think I need to build one of those Falcons to have the complete scale-line. I only have eight different Falcons so far...

Edited by Skafte

And yet, to me,/what is this quintessence of studs? Inaccuracy delights not/me: no, nor discoloration neither, though by your smiling/you seem to say so..:tongue:

:grin: My lord, there was no such stuff in my thoughts.-'Discoloured' bricks!!! :sick: 'Soft' light by my 'gluteus maximus'!:angry: I don't care who's metaphorically 'arising' in the east. They can stay the hell away from my bricks rather than leave me sick and pale with grief!

17 UCS is quite a collection - I only have a measly 13 :tongue: (I don't count my 10188 as UCS - even though BL lists it as such :wink: )

Don't give up on the other 4! Afterall, you need only standing room (mostly) :sceptic: to use your toilet- so plenty of room left in your home for the remaining UCS'!! Although this may upset your 'balance' to a happy life/wife! :look:

... as for 10188, BL is BS! Brickset have it right!

But I digress from said 'staying on of the target' and find myself wondering instead if perhaps either of you had come across a 10019 scaled Imperial Shuttle? That would also prove quite the treat and give us an alternative route from UCS Death Star II through to Minifig...

But I digress from said 'staying on of the target' and find myself wondering instead if perhaps either of you had come across a 10019 scaled Imperial Shuttle? That would also prove quite the treat and give us an alternative route from UCS Death Star II through to Minifig...

Indeed my Shakespearian friend! A mini scale Imperial Shuttle would GREAT! (the expression is quoted from Tony the Tiger - you are not the only one using immense cultural references in your brick discussing discourse! :laugh: ). Perhaps Tim (Rogue Bantha) has made one?

On a side note, it seem that "minifig scale" is not a well defined quantity - since the 10179 and the 10212 which are both considered minifig scale is not really in scale with each other :classic:

"Canon lengths" - plural? As far as I know only one of the lengths I mention is debated :wink:

As a matter of fact, both the dimensions of the second Death Star and especially the Falcon are very much debated alongside those of the Executor - one need only to refer to Saxton’s Technical Commentaries and Bob Brown’s Falcon site (or any scale modeling forum, for that matter) respectively to see that the second Death Star could be anywhere from 160 to some 800km across and the Falcon some 25 to 40m in length! :laugh: With inconsistencies between various depictions of the objects in question and Expanded Universe material constantly muddying the waters (not to mention the numerous retcons that take place in between) it’s plain to see that neither of these frivolous debates will ever be concluded accurately, if at all – the only thing that stops me from capitulating to canon dimensions (as practical a solution as that would be) is the overwhelming consensus that the 160km and 26.7m figures are plainly wrong. :tongue: And if I recall correctly, the ‘current’ canon length of the Falcon is 35m as determined by the recent James Luceno novel, so 26.7m is wrong either way.

One thing I’ve learned from my current dabbles in scale modeling is that building according to predetermined sizes is simply impractical, especially when the exact parameters of the measurement are not explicitly stated. Better to go the way of the FOL and build according to the sizes of certain parts for which the dimensions are certain, extrapolating as you go (the most prominent example being the Saturn V cans used in constructing the X-wing’s engines). Granted, if done correctly the extrapolated figures would theoretically match up with a given length every time, but if it were that easy I’m sure more people would be doing it. :laugh:

As for 'minifigure scale' as opposed to 'System', refer to this:

chart.jpg

Edited by Fallenangel

@Fallen - I meant discussions to be taken seriously :tongue:

But thanks for your input :classic:

Just to put it into perspective, the live Falcon model in ANH was only about 16m long (between 18 and 22m in ESB) and in X-Wing vs. TIE fighter the Falcon length is stated as some 76m :hmpf: If you freeze frame ROJ you can indeed find evidence that the second Death Star is both over 800km (lazy modelmakers did not bother to simulate the curvature of the DSII surface :hmpf: )in diameter and also a lot smaller. There is also a brief shot of the Falcon next to a Blockade Runner in ROJ where its length cannot be more than 15m - unless the Blockade runner is way bigger than 150 *oh2*:laugh:

In conclusion, I acknowledge the discussion of the Executor - but for the rest there simply exist too much conflicting evidence - meaning a discussion becomes purely "religious" and IMO moot.

Saying that one is length is "right" and another is "wrong" simply makes no sense - because you can always watch the movies and find evidence to they contary. Thus canon wins :devil::classic:

And as much as it pains me the EU novels are not considered canon - but that does not keep me from reading them.

(

Edited by mortesv

Frankly, I'm not sure any of our nerd-rage arguments should be taken seriously. :laugh:

Just to put it into perspective, the live Falcon model in ANH was only about 16m long (between 18 and 22m in ESB)

Stage sets are traditionally built underscale. :tongue: But in any case we seem to agree on the murkiness of the matter, with the exception that you resort to canon dimensions while I prefer to indulge in weighing said conflicting sources - putting us on good terms. :thumbup: (In the end, I guess all the numbers are made up. :laugh:)

Now there seems to exist a tradition on Eurobricks where someone barges in and exclaims how ridiculous the whole concept of Star Wars canon is and why they stopped giving a shit about it every time the matter is brought up (thus annoying many fans wishing to have some fun with their biased personal canons), so I'll stop here. :wink:

Frankly, I'm not sure any of our nerd-rage arguments should be taken seriously. :laugh:

Stage sets are traditionally built underscale. :tongue: But in any case we seem to agree on the murkiness of the matter, with the exception that you resort to canon dimensions while I prefer to indulge in weighing said conflicting sources - putting us on good terms. :thumbup: (In the end, I guess all the numbers are made up. :laugh:)

Now there seems to exist a tradition on Eurobricks where someone barges in and exclaims how ridiculous the whole concept of Star Wars canon is and why they stopped giving a shit about it every time the matter is brought up (thus annoying many fans wishing to have some fun with their biased personal canons), so I'll stop here. :wink:

:wub:

Now there seems to exist a tradition on Eurobricks where someone barges in and exclaims how ridiculous the whole concept of Star Wars canon is...

...so I'll stop here. :wink:

The important thing about tradition is that it's upheld and respected regardless of sense (or sensibility).

Star Wars canon??? What a load of cane toad turd! :grin: