Sign in to follow this  
UsernameMDM

Heroica RPG - Quest #20: Missing Minerals!

Round 3 vs Spiders:

Aberforth - Scroll of Sleep

Tarn - Potion/No action

Knifk - Potion

De'kra - Potion

Dak - Potion

Swindle pulls out his spectacles and unrolls the scroll. With an arcane tongue, some finger wiggling, nose twitching and booty shaking, the Giant Spider succumbs to drowsy sleep. The rest of the heroes consume their potions, trying to by more time and make it through the battle, but the spider's venom has not lost its sting (-1).

The Enemy:

Giant Spider - Level 10 Vermin

HP: 95/100

Special: Poison spray - 3 Damage (avoids SP) and party poisoned

Drops: Venom x3

The Party:

Tarn Valco, Level 11 Barbarian, 21 year old human male ***PARTY LEADER*** *Hastened*

Power: 21 42 *Encouraged* Health: 17/18 Gold: 50

Inventory: Kyrferath, a Battle Axe (WP: 10, Water Elemental), Pole-axe (WP: 3), Mead x 2, Venom, Grand Potion, Shovel

Dak Shadeaux, Level 9 Rogue, 35 yeal old half-elf Mopag

Power: 16 Health: 14/15 Gold: 124

Inventory: Mockthril Knife (Equipped)(WP:7), Thgir Blade (WP:5), Twin Longswords (WP:3), Mockthril Whip (WP:4), 2 Venoms, 1 Potios, Bedroll, Shovel

Guts Holla, Level 9 Rogue, 42 year old male human

Power: 16 Health: 0/15 Gold: 133

Inventory: Lifestealer (WP:7 attacks restore 3 health), Bedroll, Shovel

Knifk, Level 9 Knight, 30 year old male Orc

Power: 16 Health: 15/18 Gold: 75

Inventory: Tfel Blade (WP:7), Mockthril Shield (SP:5)

De'kra, Level 11 Rogue, 11 year old Male Shade

Power: 16 Health: 16/17 Gold: 88

Inventory: Pongcanis Dagger(WP:5, Electricity), Shadeaux Dagger(WP:5), Fang Dagger(WP:4), Cloak of the Blue Assassin(SP: 1), Cloak of the Elven Spy(loaned to Atramor), Bedroll, Venom (1), Potions (2), Pickaxe

Aberforth Swindle, Level 3 Mage, 62 year old human

Power:5 Health: 1/7 Ether 2/7 Gold: 20

Inventory: Torch (2 WP, fire) Simple Staff (3 WP), Tonic, Potion, Amethyst Gemstone, Musty Bedroll

Party Leader state order of actions. Party Members state action and target. Good luck!

Edited by UsernameMDM

IC: De'kra flicks his Prongcanis Dagger and readies to attack the giant spider from the back row. Hopefully Tarn would get a few lucky hits, he had more than enough raw power to kill the foe, it just depended on how lucky Tarn's attacks were.

"Great job Mr Swindle. Now you take your potion!". Tarn was encouraged that the party had regained health. Now he prayed he could actually hit the beast.

Battle order

Aberforth Recommend potion which is why I'm putting you first in the order

Tarn

Tarn

Knifk

De'kra

Dak

In both turns Tarn will attack the Giant Spider from the front row.

Round 4 vs Spiders:

Aberforth - Potion

Tarn vs Giant Spider - Hit/Hit

Knifk vs Giant Spider - Miss

De'kra vs Giant Spider - Special Damage

Dak vs Giant Spider - Hit

On the brink of collapse, Swindle guzzles a potion, restoring him completely. Tarn leaps straight at the slumber arachnid and lands two vicious blows, almost cutting the beast in two (-84). With a primal shriek, the Giant Spider explodes to limping life, knocking Knik's attack aside and spews another blast of acidic venom onto the party (-3). Dak lunges at the foul creature, scoring a hit. The Giant Spider desperately clings to life.

The Enemy:

Giant Spider - Level 10 Vermin

HP: 3/100

Special: Poison spray - 3 Damage (avoids SP) and party poisoned

The Party:

Tarn Valco, Level 11 Barbarian, 21 year old human male ***PARTY LEADER*** *Hastened*

Power: 21 42 *Encouraged* Health: 14/18 Gold: 50

Inventory: Kyrferath, a Battle Axe (WP: 10, Water Elemental), Pole-axe (WP: 3), Mead x 2, Venom, Grand Potion, Shovel

Dak Shadeaux, Level 9 Rogue, 35 yeal old half-elf Mopag

Power: 16 Health: 11/15 Gold: 124

Inventory: Mockthril Knife (Equipped)(WP:7), Thgir Blade (WP:5), Twin Longswords (WP:3), Mockthril Whip (WP:4), 2 Venoms, 1 Potios, Bedroll, Shovel

Knifk, Level 9 Knight, 30 year old male Orc

Power: 16 Health: 12/18 Gold: 75

De'kra, Level 11 Rogue, 11 year old Male Shade

Power: 16 Health: 13/17 Gold: 88

Inventory: Pongcanis Dagger(WP:5, Electricity), Shadeaux Dagger(WP:5), Fang Dagger(WP:4), Cloak of the Blue Assassin(SP: 1), Cloak of the Elven Spy(loaned to Atramor), Bedroll, Venom (1), Potions (2), Pickaxe

Aberforth Swindle, Level 3 Mage, 62 year old human

Power:5 Health: 4/7 Ether 2/7 Gold: 20

Inventory: Torch (2 WP, fire) Simple Staff (3 WP), Tonic, Amethyst Gemstone, Musty Bedroll

AUTO ROLL ROUND

Round 5 vs Spiders:

Aberforth vs Giant Spider - Critical Hit

Tarn vs Giant Spider - Damage/Hit

Knifk vs Giant Spider - Critical Hit

De'kra vs Giant Spider - Hit

Dak vs Giant Spider - Hit

The nearly dead spider inspires Swindle to bravery as he charges forward as best as an old man can and stabs the spider in the eye with the fiercely bright torch, felling the nemesis once and for all (-7).

VICTORY!

The Party:

Tarn Valco, Level 11.5 Barbarian, 21 year old human male ***PARTY LEADER***

Power: 21 Health: 18/18 Gold: 50

Dak Shadeaux, Level 10 Rogue, 35 year old half-elf Mopag

Power: 17 Health: 12/16 Gold: 124

Knifk, Level 10 Knight, 30 year old male Orc

Power: 17 Health: 12/19 Gold: 75

De'kra, Level 11.5 Rogue, 11 year old Male Shade

Power: 17 Health: 14/18 Gold: 88

Aberforth Swindle, Level 4 Mage, 62 year old human

Power:6 Health: 5/8 Ether 3/8 Gold: 20

Inventory: Torch (2 WP, fire) Simple Staff (3 WP), Tonic, Amethyst Gemstone, Musty Bedroll

Party Leader divide the spoils. Please check your new stats.

Edited by UsernameMDM

"Yes! Nice job, all."

Dak helps Guts to his feet.

"But damn, that thing packed quite a punch."

OOC: Stats look fine, one thing though; Guts should have 1 HP left, as he was revived after the battle.

IC: De'kra stabs his blade into the spider's corpse, just in case. "New heroes and I rest now?" he clicked, "Also, I check to see if breakable walls here? I ask because group might want to wait to rest before check for hidden passages. Thoughts leader?"

OOC: I don't think De'kra's total health should have increased, I believe it is suppose to increases only every level.

Tarn feels the mead and the smelling salts ebb away once the spider is defeated. He gives one Venom to each team member that does not have one, that being Aberforth, Knifk, and Guts.

"That was a tough battle, well done to you Mr Swindle for finishing the pesky critter off. I agree De'kra, perhaps we should regroup and rest up a while. Use bedrolls if you have them. De'kra, use your pickaxe if you wish. I will slot one of my two remaining Meads into my hollow blade and then take out my shovel and dig.

Edited by Rumble Strike

"Take that you great ghastly old Cob!"

Swindle kicks the Giant Spiders' corpse, and then walks back to the others, accepting the offered Venom.

"Well, that was a doozy, wasn't it? Well done everyone! I'm nearly out of magic..."

Swindle takes a long drink of his Tonic.

OOC: De'kra won't be digging yet since he wants to rest first. Keep in mind that while his method of checking the walls is unusual, it should be treated as using a pickaxe in the normal fashion.

IC: De'kra nodded, and decided to rest. After the group had gotten some health back he would check the wall, but for now he would replenish his power. Hopefully the time distortions would be over now.

Tarn made use of the time by sending out a Z-mail letter to Ellaria, more in hope than expectation. He was very pleased to get a reply, one which sent his spirits soaring. By the Gods, maybe his miserable luck with tactics and his axe was now over. He hoped so, for now he wanted to find out the mystery of the missing minerals as quickly as possible. He sent another Z-mail back and then waited in the gloom for his Quest-mates to finish resting.

Edited by Rumble Strike

IC: As De'kra rests, he notices a reply from Arthur.

De'kra,

I am not entirely surprised to hear this. Many worlds balance on the edge of a knifepoint, and the slightest change can tip the balance. Why do you blame yourself for the destruction of that world, though? Did the locals trust you? How do you know that interference would not have tipped the balance, causing the world to destroy itself even sooner? If the wrong people had found out, could they have not used the threat of worldwide destruction as a way to dominate the enitre populace, forcing them into slavery?

Even if, by some stretch, the destruction of that world was your fault, you learned from that mistake. On Quest 4, you did something, you tried your best to do right, based on the information you had at the time. We are not gods, De'kra, our sight is limited. My father once journeyed to a Plane that was on the brink of destruction, menaced by the appearance of a mighty specter. The Specter of legend was in search of a rare and powerful artifact, but my father could not find it in time, and the plane was destroyed. Later, he found out from one of the survivors that the artifact had been destroyed long ago by the followers of a doomsday cult. Does that mean that the plane's destruction and the deaths of all those people were my father fault? No. Should he have warned the residents that the plane was doomed and that they needed to escape? Perhaps. But how could he have known that? The past may be seen with clarity, but the future is shrouded, as a nigh-impenetrable mist. So too, you could not have foreseen the consequences of your actions, and so took the course you judged to be be best, to be most likely to produce the best outcome. The outcome my not have been good, but it was not for lack of trying. You did your duty, De'kra, you tried your best to prevent disaster. Your failure to do so reflects not upon you, but upon circumstances beyond your control.

Besides, rather than dwelling on the past, we must learn what we can from it and then dismiss it from our immediate thought, so we may focus on the present. Unwarranted guilt and self-recrimination destroy our unity; for if we cannot accept ourself, how can we accept others? And if we cannot unite with our friends, our allies, then how are we to perform our duty, or to together forge our own destiny? Therefore it is better to learn, and then forgive, and then to focus on the here and now. For we cannot change the past, nor can we see the future. We live our lives in the present, and to forget the limitations of that perspective are to ignore our own limitations, which is a dangerous proposition at best.

But we may speak more of this another time, when we are at the Hall. For now, I must modify this catapult to make it stronger. The Elves grow steadily stronger, and I recieved a reply to a Z-mail that greatly concerns me; I fear the Commander of these forces, when at last he arrives, may be beyond the capabilities of any of us. I fear a bloodbath may await us in our final battle. I know for fact that a catapult of this strength shall be of limited use in future battles, and that we must continue to improve our defenses.

I hope your Quest goes well! If you need aid along the way, do not hesitate to ask.

As always, your friend,

--Arthur

Even as he rested the shade replies:

As I have said I do not remember much of that world, I do not know how the locales felt about me, or even if they knew about me. Honestly I don't remember talking to anyone, only watching them. I do remember giving an idea or two to an elite group of scientists, but I don't remember talking to anyone at all. Only watching people talk, fight, laugh, hunt, and invent. And such inventions they made, one group of scientists made a gigantic automaton for instance, bigger than a continent. This was many years before the fall, but still they had some much potential. And it is gone.

Sure interference could have led to problems, but my neutrality doomed the planet. Even if one of the six main nations tried to use the potential destruction to their advantage, at least the planet would survive. And as long as their planet survived, so could hope. But the destruction left no hope, none that I recall. So many lives, so many dreams, so much potential: gone. And deep in my core I know that I could have saved them.

I cannot dismiss the past, because I don't have one. I have whispers, glimpses, an odd phrase or two, but I have no past. Anything I remember, any glimmer of memory, that is more precious to me than nearly anything. Because without my past I am nothing, just a shadow. Sure some of what I remember is destruction and horrors, but that destruction is all I have. That, some random facts and feelings, and the island that gives me hope. That is all I am. Other entities have their whole lives to guide them and keep them warm, I just have shards.

I will leave you to your fight, but have you heard of that letter messaging system? My leader from Quest 4 contacted me through it, and we spoke for a time. Perhaps you could use the system to ask him for ideas, as well as other heroes? That way you can get ideas from more than just a few heroes. My people were firm believers in unity, that a unified team could defeat any foe. Perhaps you could use that here and call upon the knowledge of all of Heroica, barring the Veterans. By the way, my people were not the inhabitants of the world that died, but the residents of the island. I am not sure if I was one of them, but I remember feeling...happy there

The heroes search the Giant Spider's lair but come up empty handed. Tired, exhausted, weary, and other words that mean the heroes need to rest, the heroes retreat to an alcove on the side of the lair. They drag a semiconscious Guts with them, take out his bedroll, and put him in for some rest. Those with bedrolls also bed down for rest.

The Party:

Tarn Valco, Level 11.5 Barbarian, 21 year old human male ***PARTY LEADER***

Power: 21 Health: 18/18 Gold: 50

Dak Shadeaux, Level 10 Rogue, 35 year old half-elf Mopag

Power: 17 Health: 16/16 Gold: 124

Power: 16 Health: 15/15 Gold: 133

Inventory: Lifestealer (WP:7 attacks restore 3 health), Venom, Bedroll, Shovel

Knifk, Level 10 Knight, 30 year old male Orc

Power: 17 Health: 12/19 Gold: 75

Inventory: Tfel Blade (WP:7), Mockthril Shield (SP:5), Venom

De'kra, Level 11.5 Rogue, 11 year old Male Shade

Power: 16 Health: 17/17 Gold: 88

Aberforth Swindle, Level 4 Mage, 62 year old human

Power:6 Health: 8/8 Ether 8/8 Gold: 20

Inventory: Torch (2 WP, fire) Simple Staff (3 WP), Tonic, Venom, Amethyst Gemstone, Musty Bedroll

Please check your new stats.

Edited by UsernameMDM

OOC: As Tanma mentioned, his health should not be 18/18 yet.

Once everyone is refreshed, Tarn looks around to see if they can go on deeper into the mine.

OOC: As Tanma mentioned, his health should not be 18/18 yet.

Got it, thanks!

Once everyone is refreshed, Tarn looks around to see if they can go on deeper into the mine.

The party gets up and breaks down their makeshift camp. They all grab a few bites to eat from their provisions and gear up once again. The tunnel at the rear of the Giant Spider's lair seems to slope downward to a lower level, but there are still unexplored areas on this level of the mines.

"Well, if I am not mistaken, there is only one place we have not explored here, and who knows, there might be some supplies, Gods know we could use them right about now."

While discussing this, Guts also applies Venom to his weapon.