Sign in to follow this  
ApophisV

Why Playmobil rules TLC out

That's a great and very interesting topic, ApophisV! :thumbup:

Regrettably I firstly noticec some days ago because captaincreek commented on it. :blush:

I wouldn'd say that Playmobil rules Lego out. But it's right that there are some cases in which Playmobil does better than Lego - but I wouldn't generalise that.

Cons:

Playmobil's current Ghost Pirates theme and the current Castle theme are as ugly as Lego's current "Castle" theme (except the awesome 10193 MVV). So there is no improvement.

Lego's new Pirates theme looks in historical regard very good! :thumbup:

Pros:

Mainly with its Roman theme but even its Egypt theme Playmobil showed and still shows that historical sets do not necessarily have to include many fantasy elements and fantasy creatures in order to sell well :wink: . And they set measures with their historically very accurate minifigs, accessory, vehicles and buildings.

That pro point of Playmobil concerning historical sets is imo what TLG regrettably seems to have not realised too much until now. The excepption is the new great Pirates theme.

And so I wish that TLG will offer us some historical sets with more accurateness and without fantasy creatures in the future! :classic:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

@Klaus-Dieter: I think you mean 10193? 10188 is the Death Star play set. :wink: .

Pros:

Mainly with its Roman theme but even its Egypt theme Playmobil showed and still shows that historical sets do not necessarily have to include many fantasy elements and fantasy creatures in order to sell well . And they set measures with their historically very accurate minifigs, accessory, vehicles and buildings.

I agree. :classic:

As a kid I played a lot with Playmobil. And I'm still sad about the fact my mother have let other (not very careful) kids play with it, destroying my forklift truck. I'm 20, but the detail of the sets keep me interested in it. I still look somethimes what's in the shop. And I understand adults who collect it. Are there not many AFOLs who collect LEGO? Not only themes with a higher age like TECHNIC. The AFOL community is not only about building and designing. Maybe in the future I collect Playmobil as well. The new mobile crane would be a great succeedor to the one I now have.

I don't think Playmobil rules TLC out. Maybe in design, but these two brands are totally different concepts. Playmobil is not a construction toy.

Edited by Richie

A great topic. No one can deny that the creativity of playmobil has trumped lego in the past. Like others have said, Lego is made for the builder to be creative. I do love the accessories that Playmobil creates, pipes, sword holders, holsters, and the wild west sets were fantastic. I have most of my playmobil to my nephew because he's 2 and then when he is 5 it will be all about the lego....small hands work better on the larger Playmobil dude.