jasonsmith

10179 UCS Falcon Pricing

As an owner of an unopened UCS Falcon I had full intentions of putting it together when my son got a bit older. But after seeing the value going up, I'd be a fool not to sell. I always thought my magic number would have been 1500.00, but I'm having trouble parting with it. I'd have no problem if they rereleased it, but that isn't something Lego tends to do. For all those that want one, I truly hope you can score one.

I am 98% done, some really difficult pieces to find that are just not for sale in a manageable quantity. In respect to your rigging piece, you will see that Light Bluish Grey is going to be the thorn in your backside. Supply and demand is alive and well in BrickLink. We need to order some parts from Lego as suggested in a post above and take care of that.

Light Bluish Grey......ahhhhhhhhhhhh I see it in my dreams.

this might be a total noob question, but what are the light blueish grey pieces???

cant see anything with that description on the part list??

I bought a sealed first run of this set a few months ago for $1200 here in the USA. I bought it from a reputable dealer in our town as I was always afraid to spend this kind of money on ebay or bricklink just to end up opening it in 10 years or so to find junk lego inside the box. I purchased it for 2 reasons:

Firstly for me this set is both the definitive Lego set to own as well as the definitive Star Wars collector's item to own. As a fan of both it made sense.

Secondly I bought this for my son who is now 8 and will give it to him for his 18th birthday. He was there when I purchased it and it will be a good lesson in patience, time and investing. $1200 for a high profile collectors item is very cheap. It will be very interesting to see if he ends up opening it to build, sells it still sealed or holds onto it for another 10 years or so. It will also be very interesting to see if my modelling of collectors item pricing was accurate - I fully expect this to easily sell for over $5k in 10 years and if Lego either discontinues the Star Wars license or goes out of business then my estimate is much much higher. Only time will tell. The dealer keeps asking me if I have opened it as he is curious to find out what set number this was (he feels it should be very low)....it will be fun to eventually find out if my son does decide to build it.

For what this set symbolizes it is still very affordable IMO.

this might be a total noob question, but what are the light blueish grey pieces???

cant see anything with that description on the part list??

He's talking about the rigging piece. It's listed as MdStone. If you look at the rear view of the ship, it is the pieces that make up the middle of the ship.

They are listing for between 15-30$US

Edited by drevim

Notice that those 2 Light Bluish Gray Riggings are not available on Pick a Brick and on Lego Support too. So, only BL get them, and the price is expensive. Fortunately I had a dog that was doing nothing but sleeping all day, so I sold it to the local chinese restaurant and bought the missing Falcon parts.

He's talking about the rigging piece. It's listed as MdStone. If you look at the rear view of the ship, it is the pieces that make up the middle of the ship.

That is correct, sorry for not being more specific. You will find that the model itself is very easy and very inexpensive to build if the colors are not important. BUT... if you want to build it as Lego intended it goes up in cost about 400% :wacko:

Some piece quantities are so high that you will need to order parts from 10 different BL stores and suffer the cost of shipping on each. Those that have the high quantities have most likely parted out the ship and their prices are VERY high.

For me the "Collector" or "Investment" part of this model never interested me, if I was smart it would have and I would have made some money. All I want to do is build it, take it apart and build it again. If all you want to do is this then the current pricing and missing out on it when it was for sale hurts badly.

**** I will say this though, the fun that I have had sourcing, ordering, getting packages, playing with BrickLink, talking with Store People etc has been FANTASTIC, well worth the money spent and much much more fun that getting the box and putting it away. In the end this is all about fun, that is what I am having. :sweet:

i see, cheers

i have the death star II set (10143) and just printed off the parts list for the falcon to see how many common pieces there are. unfortunately there does not seem to be too many.

is bricklink the best/cheapest place to source pieces? being in Australia i can see shipping being the most prohibitive factor in not being able to afford to do this.

Have been following this thread and found it interesting (enough to register on this nice place). As an UCS and Star Wars enthusiast, I'm working on replicating a few of the old UCS sets by the Bricklink-method. And the Falcon is the pride in the collection (still a small one). I managed to bring the Falcon together for about €500 through Bricklink and the Lego support. It was a serious project that required some management work at Bricklink (running three wanted-lists in parallel, moving parts between them depending of their state in the order process), but it was completed within a few moths (mostly some orders that took a very long time). To cut the cost, I did replace some parts in the internal structure for different colors (black long Technic bricks are cheaper than bley). Minor alternations was also done to it (not visible on the outside). Sure, these are not genuine UCS, but I don't care - I wanted the ship but not at these prices a genuine are sold for.

I also did this with the UCS Rebel Snowspeeder - that was more of a challenge as it uses old grey in many parts. And now, the 10030 (UCS ISD) is in the plan... :classic:

Have been following this thread and found it interesting (enough to register on this nice place). As an UCS and Star Wars enthusiast, I'm working on replicating a few of the old UCS sets by the Bricklink-method. And the Falcon is the pride in the collection (still a small one). I managed to bring the Falcon together for about €500 through Bricklink and the Lego support. It was a serious project that required some management work at Bricklink (running three wanted-lists in parallel, moving parts between them depending of their state in the order process), but it was completed within a few moths (mostly some orders that took a very long time). To cut the cost, I did replace some parts in the internal structure for different colors (black long Technic bricks are cheaper than bley). Minor alternations was also done to it (not visible on the outside). Sure, these are not genuine UCS, but I don't care - I wanted the ship but not at these prices a genuine are sold for.

I also did this with the UCS Rebel Snowspeeder - that was more of a challenge as it uses old grey in many parts. And now, the 10030 (UCS ISD) is in the plan... :classic:

hi,

i am also trying to go the BL route to get my falcon, but i am having difficulty understanding the process of BL.. and most importantly how to "choose" colors to cut cost.. do you mind sharing some more info on how to go about doing it?

Just the process of finding cheaper colors is manual - You can always click on a piece in whatever list you have in BL and get it's details. A good indication is the amount of available pieces in each color. In the case of the 1 x 16 Technic brick in bley - there was only a few sellers having them and for a ridiculous price. But black is rather common. When you find a color that is cheaper/easier to find, You can edit your "Wanted List" and change colors of a piece.

The idea of having three wanted lists was to keep track of what was ordered and what was at home. The first list created was the Part-Out from the set. When parts was ordered, they were (manually) moved to the second list; and finally, when the parts was in my hands, I moved them to a third list. All these steps are manual - orders and so on. A feature in BL is that you can rather easy see what a store has from your wanted lists (and here is a trick - use the Part-Out list in the stores. When parts are moved from the list, you will not accidental order the same parts multiple times). As I know, there are no way to automatically order stuff from a list - you have to find them manually. Finally, when list one and two are empty, then you know you have all parts and you can start the build... :classic:

I hope this explanation did help...

Edited by Illuwatar

great.. thank you.. i know its all manual work.. i spend 2hr entering the qty of brick after parting-out... phew.. but its a worth it!

I've found that, especially for certain pieces and colors in quantity, the S@H PAB price can be a lot better. It may not beat the lowest BL prices (sometimes it actually does, though), but sellers with higher quantities often are the highest prices on BL and multiple orders can kill you on shipping - LEGO S@H starts looking very reasonable by comparison.

great.. thank you.. i know its all manual work.. i spend 2hr entering the qty of brick after parting-out... phew.. but its a worth it!

But just that moment can be done for you by BL - set the "Set My Minimum Desired Qty for each Item to Qty of Items in Inventor" checkbox at the Part-Out page and you will have the proper amount of each piece automatically...

I finally finished ordering all the parts. Total cost is 627€, shippings included. Cheaper than the usual 800€ we usually get for this set.

I also ordered all the 10182 Cafe Corner parts for 235€, instead of 500€ for the used set... Will soon be building the 10190 Market Street so :tongue:

But just that moment can be done for you by BL - set the "Set My Minimum Desired Qty for each Item to Qty of Items in Inventor" checkbox at the Part-Out page and you will have the proper amount of each piece automatically...

You shouldn't, because it will work fine at the beginning of your orders, but by checking this, Bricklink will not show you the parts that are not in the minimum desired quantity. And there's a lot at the end of the orders, as sometimes no shop offers a specific part in the quantity you want. You will have to order those parts from diffrent shops, of course, but if you checked this box, you can't uncheck it later... You will have to create a new list without that box checked.

The other problem is that if a shop get a part but not in your minimum desired quantity, these parts will not be displayed to you. You will so have to multiply the orders... and the final cost.

You should also make two lists of parts, one for the parts you get showing which ones are physically missing, and the second one for the parts you still need to order. If you don't do that you will have to wait for each parcel to arrive and be verified before lauching the following order, and it will take months.

I finally finished ordering all the parts. Total cost is 627€, shippings included. Cheaper than the usual 800€ we usually get for this set.

So it was YOU... LOL :wink:

I noticed some of the selections that I made the store stock went down.

there was a complete set on bricklink just now for US$800. unfortunately the seller would not ship to me (Australia) and someone else jumped on it before i could figure out how to get it here.

bummer.

You should also make two lists of parts, one for the parts you get showing which ones are physically missing, and the second one for the parts you still need to order. If you don't do that you will have to wait for each parcel to arrive and be verified before lauching the following order, and it will take months.

That is basically what I do with the three parallel lists - one for Part-out, one on-order and one for received parts. By moving parts from Part-out to on-order, I will avoid ordering the same parts multiple times. I use the Part-out list in the shops (it will shrink as the orders are done). And regarding minimum quantities and shops - there is a option to show parts available in a shop that does not match minimum quantity.

Btw, the work for collecting parts for the 10030 ISD is on the way now. The third UCS done this way...

Well thing is, that set was VERY expensive to make by LEGO so thats why they made it cost alot, but obviously because of the price people couldnt buy it. So LEGO had tons of that set lying around, so after they discontinued it LEGO was probably relieved. But then the cost of the set on other sites went WAY up. The chance of getting this set for something less than what it is now, is VERY low. Plus anyway the price is what it is now because for the people wwho did get it find it prized and almost all of them dont want to sell theirs. So in the end it all come down to people who are willing to sell theirs is about 10% and getting it for a low price (less than $500) is nearly impossible. So thats why you get this set being sold for 1,000's of dollars. Good luck getting that set(I really mean good luck Im not mocking you)!

That is basically what I do with the three parallel lists - one for Part-out, one on-order and one for received parts. By moving parts from Part-out to on-order, I will avoid ordering the same parts multiple times. I use the Part-out list in the shops (it will shrink as the orders are done). And regarding minimum quantities and shops - there is a option to show parts available in a shop that does not match minimum quantity.

Btw, the work for collecting parts for the 10030 ISD is on the way now. The third UCS done this way...

Which option is it ? After putting in cart the parts in minimum desired quantity, I only get to solution to use my second Wanted list without quantities in the shop, to find the parts that didn't reach the min. quantity requirement.

Which option is it ? After putting in cart the parts in minimum desired quantity, I only get to solution to use my second Wanted list without quantities in the shop, to find the parts that didn't reach the min. quantity requirement.

In store, click the '(All items)' part of 'Show All Items this store has on my Wanted List (All Items)' and it will show all items '(Ignoring My Wanted Qty and Price Criteria)'.

In store, click the '(All items)' part of 'Show All Items this store has on my Wanted List (All Items)' and it will show all items '(Ignoring My Wanted Qty and Price Criteria)'.

Oh, okay, I had never noticed the "All items" option on the left column of the stores. It is convenient as it shows the items that do not reach minimal desired quantity in red numbers. Thanks for this information :classic:

i have started on my "getting late to the party 10179" got some parts directly from lego the light bluish gray boat mast rigging". all parts from the 10179 is on my bricklink wanted list and now every time i visit a bricklink shop for other parts i intend to order some of the 10179 parts. I guess it will take a couplle of years, but i have all the time in the world :sweet: love this thread and all the good advises, Thank you very much

Something is only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay for it.

This goes for all Lego sets that are no longer in production. When it comes to Star Wars the prices get ridiculous especially on eBay and many of them sit around because no one will pay the insane prices being asked. Lego has a way with re-releasing sets like the Imperial Star Destoyer. The second one apparently not as nice as the first. They also re-released the town holiday sets which really pissed off the hoarders because they couldn't charge 10x their value anymore. With that said we may see this set again but toned down some.

Edited by 22kane