Sign in to follow this  
Brick Miner

HISTORIC ACCURACY or FANTASY in LEGO's history lines ???

I agree with Athos 100%. It's not about fantasy vs. history. Good design is the most important. See my original response.

The best is both. Enough realism to set the time period/cliche and enough fantasy to make it fun. Too much fantasy makes the sets garbage and too much realism takes the fun out of it all.

A fanbase is like a snake's skin: it changes with every new season, you either adapt, or get lost...

Well said.

I agree with Athos 100%. It's not about fantasy vs. history. Good design is the most important

I also agree.

TLC has to cope with kids turning away from LEGO because of video games. It's tough for LEGO as kids want more action causing TLC to create more "playable" less buildable sets. Kids just want action these days, hence the lovely mass production of catapults, action based weaponary, light bricks (and figs), and juniourized pieces. That's one of the reasons we lost quality sets and themes. KK2 is very fantasy like, and it helps to add more playability with magic and truely un-historical things like the wheeled knights of the jousting set.

I believe TLC's going deeper into the fantasy age all the time, we're losing the historical/fantasy based sets, and becoming all fantasy. *n*

If I were to chose which were better I'd say a little of both history and fantasy in sets, good set design and quality.

Good topic by the way. *y*

Whatever works! :-P

Seriously, as long as the sets are believable. Classic Castle had realistic looking castles (believable) and had no fantasy. Dragon Masters introduced fantasy and we all know what happened. Ofcourse had the dragons wizards and withches been introduced but THE SET DESIGNS been more similar to historical (believable) structures these fantasy changes would have added to the fun. The set designs, a deviation from realism is what killed Castle, not Willa the Witch

Vikings, the ship and fortress are great, and more historical (especially the ship) The dragon and serpent are fantasy, but give neat playability options for the wee ones.

Town is a great example of realism working, I mean, would you buy an ambulance with wings and a radar dish on the roof? SW has a frame a reference, so the sets have to look like what appears in the movies....otherwise they are not believable

Even Space had to work within believable parameters. A space craft needs propulsion engines, wings, a cockpit and crew.....

So my answer is realistic/historical. It has to be believable. If it isn't broken, don't try and fix it!

I agree with Athos 100%. It's not about fantasy vs. history. Good design is the most important.
yes, i would agree that set design is a most important factor in determining a quality set or theme.

its almost like you have to look at "historical accuracy vs. fantasy" as an isolated factor. removing all other variables from the equation to determine which you like better.

in a controled environment, where set/theme design has been meet, and realism and fantasy are the only two variables, that is where the question comes in.

--------------------------------------------------

after re-reading snefore's post, i find yet another quality point. here is an excerpt, as to not repost the entire thing...

mythology/fantasy/science fiction elements that would undermine the authenticity of the theme
this is great example of when fantasy would become too much !!! introducting too much fantasy, to the point where the authenticity of the theme is lost, is too much.

- BrickMiner

--------------------------------------------------

after re-reading snefore's post, i find yet another quality point. here is an excerpt, as to not repost the entire thing...

mythology/fantasy/science fiction elements that would undermine the authenticity of the theme
this is great example of when fantasy would become too much !!! introducting too much fantasy, to the point where the authenticity of the theme is lost, is too much.

- BrickMiner

i don't think that has ever happened though.

the ghosts started to appear in the early 90 castle theme. At that point, it was a great addition to the actual theme; it didn't really dominate the traditional castle ltheme. It may have gone a bit too far later on, with the dragon masters, sure, but i think that particular subtheme was more compromised by the lack of quality than the dragons... at least i've never seen moc castles with, for instance, a stable for dragons... Maybe it's because most castle fans are a bit older and find these things to be too childish. It's a type of creativity adults seem to have lost i guess... unlike authers of comic books... ;-)

the mythology aspect of the viking sets fits nicely into the general theme. It's only very unfortunate that the parts are so useless for anything else...