Superkalle

LDD not working? The LDD Team wants your help

I got a mail from Jesper at the LDD Team in Billund. They need our help with understanding why certain computers will not run LDD after an update (or generally).

This is what he wrote:

Hi guys,

I have attached the version of LDD which generate an verbose log. Could you please distribute this version to the users with problems, and ask them to post the log file so we might find out what is going on. The log file is located in the user app data folder and named “DCLTrace.txt”, on my Vista it is “C:\Users\[userName]\AppData\Roaming\LEGO Company\DCLTrace.txt”.

This version of LDD also contains some brand new crash detection code, which can save a stack trace allowing us to get very precise debug information. If what is happening for the users is a crash; it would be really helpful if they could also send the stack trace file. This file is located in the user temp folder and named “LEGO Digital Designer<date><time>.mdmp”, a message box should be displayed with the full path, but just in case it isn’t on my Vista the folder is at “C:\Users\[userName]\AppData\Local\Temp”.

Have the users post them on Eurobricks where I can download them

Cheers,

Jesper

Senior Engineer Software

3D Prototyping

So, if you are having problems starting up LDD, or in any other way, and your problem is not solved by following the step mentioned here then you should download this LDD version here. If you don't have any problems, don't download - there is absolutely no new features in there and this version is NOT supported by Lego in any way.

Now, so what do you do with the result. The content of the DCLTrace.txt you can either zip it and attach as a txt-file to your post, or paste it directly in the post (depending on how much text there is)

The .mdmp file you can attach to the post (zip first), or if it's too big, PM me to get my e-mail and I will forward to our danish friends.

My sistem specs.

Amd 64 dual core 4200+

nvidia gforce 9600 GT (with lastest drivers: 266.58)

Windows 7

Double click in the LDD icon and nothing happens (without any window). The process LDD.exe dissappear in 5-10 seg aprox without any error message.

This is the entry generated by the event viewer of windows 7:

Please HELP!!!!

Alright, here's my DCLTrace.txt:

=========================================

And here are my specs:

Vista Home Premium on an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU, 6 Gigs of RAM, and a NVIDIA GeForce G210 graphics card.

Edit: How do I send you guys 'C:\Users\Donald\AppData\Local\Temp\LEGO Digital Designer-2011-04-07-17-49-27.mdmp'?

Edited by Superkalle
Removed txt - no longer valid

Edit: How do I send you guys 'C:\Users\Donald\AppData\Local\Temp\LEGO Digital Designer-2011-04-07-17-49-27.mdmp'?

Send me a PM and I can send you my mailadress and you can send me the file and I can send it to TLG....or something like that :classic:

And just to be sure - have you tried everything herefirst?

Send me a PM and I can send you my mailadress and you can send me the file and I can send it to TLG....or something like that :classic:

And I*m asking you the same question as everyone. Have you tried everything herefirst?

Uh, well I did update my graphics drivers...

...And how would I PM you?

Clicking your name just tells me that I can't view member profiles for some reason...

[#10245] You are not permitted to view member profiles.
Edited by Whiteagle

...And how would I PM you?

Clicking your name just tells me that I can't view member profiles for some reason...

You need 10 posts to PM and interact with profiles.

Go find a couple nice MOCs and leave meaningful comments on them. :tongue:

You need 10 posts to PM and interact with profiles.

Go find a couple nice MOCs and leave meaningful comments on them. :tongue:

Ah...

Well deleting the old program files seemed to do the trick!

Now I'm off to unlock Extended mode!

Educated Guess: TextLocal.cpp is the localisation code; which is related to the language / keyboard options which are used to work out which country / language the software should be. Perhaps for additional information the people with systems which are not working should provide information about their language and code page settings. I know a bit strange... but perhaps there is a hint there?

Edited by roamingstudio

Hey Superkalle, can you forward this to Jesper: "You're my hero :D"

I've been waiting for half year for this LDD version. Since i'm a programmer myself and i have a good understanding of computer software, i usually have a good eye for random bugs (the ones that are hard to spot) and repeatable bugs (the more "friendly" ones). I managed to pinpoint the thing that plagued my LDD since 4.0 came out to an error (or probably some sort of sw/hw incompatibility) in the theme switching procedure. I did publish that here in some other threads on EB and i hoped it'll be fixed in 4.1 (which sadly wasn't).

This dump version of LDD confirmed that something in the theme switching code generates an unhandled exception which in turn makes the LDD magical (in way that it disappers without a warning and not in a nice David Copperfield way).

I sent you the DCLTrace.txt (which doesn't show anything unusual and only includes "Caught exception, stack trace saved..." line at the end. I included the Crash dump file (.mdmp) that was generated and hopefully it'll show, what's wrong.

Edited by Bojan Pavsic

Hello all

@Rash and Bojan - Jesper mailed me a new version of the debug LDD version here

@Bojan - I forwarded your mail.

On a general note, it seems many users have problems with the update process, i.e. if they completely uninstall LDD (and manually remove leftover files), then it works. So in that case I guess it isn't a problem with LDD itself, just with the installation/upgrade process?

Jasper just moved to 1st place on my favorite software developers. Thanks Superkalle & TLG.

Yes, the new version works. Flawlessly!

I'll keep 3.1 around for a week (just to be sure), but right now i couldn't reproduce the Exception.

The same result with the new debug version but with a long DCLTrace file generated:

The lddqa.exe program crash without error message and without leave in /local/temp directory any .mdmp file.

This is my new DCLTrace.txt:

Regards.

Edited by Superkalle
Removed txt - no longer valid

@Rach

Hm, my DCLTrace.txt has this lines:

Elapsed(631) RecentModels setup.

Elapsed(765) SoundPlayer setup.

So after your line "RecentModels setup" comes SoundPlayer setup. Maybe there's some sound issue with your LDD? Do you have any problems with playing audio in your other applications?

Interesting.

I don't have any problem with the sound in another application or game.

My machine have a sound blaster X-FI with lastest drivers.

Maybe a problem with audio codecs, an incompatibility with audio driver...?? I use Shark007 codec pack for windows 7.

But I have the same codec pack in another pc (with an integrated realtek soundcard) and LDD 4.0 work without problems!

Any ideas???

PD: sorry for my english...spanish man!